iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Corley setworks question

Started by Dave_, December 20, 2010, 11:25:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave_

Hey Corley guys (and/or gals ;)), I'm trying to get my head wrapped around how the set works function on the 395 we are going to restore.  I got a great care package from Corley and one of the diagrams shows an exploded view of a standard single acting set works (the one we have).  The back of the set works has a rear foot trip (part #176101).  Is this trip for someone who rides the carriage or what?  The carriage seems very small to have a passenger ???

captain_crunch

Dave
Kinda wonder if they may have a stageing on off side for ratchet setter ???
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

beenthere

Do you have a drawing or better yet, a pic?

or a link?

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ibbob

You can trip the receder from the back but I doubt it was intended for a rider.  Should be a link and a bar under the carriage coming out the front side for the sawyer.
Bob

beenthere

I used to ride a carriage and run the setworks while sawing. Also set the dogs and the taper depending on what the sawyer friend wanted to do next.

There was a foot pedal release that was available if/when needed. Don't recall the setworks brand name, so if a pic is available I might recognize it.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ibbob

Talking about the "T" lever sticking out from the carriage, correct? 
Bob

beenthere

ibbob

That setworks looks pretty familiar. :)

south central Wisconsin

Dave_

Yeah, ibbob, that's the one.  Your set works is the heavy duty and mine is the standard, but the lever function is the same.  Thanks

captain_crunch

ibbob
Could you post a better pic of the Ruler type Gauge Looks LOTS better than the belsaw slide ruler for consistancy
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Meadows Miller

Gday

Looking at the pic I think it looks like a foot trip to release all the prals from the gears to free float the headblocks when you have a block setter on the carriage to save time  ;)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

ibbob

Captain

It is just a metal yard stick from the hardware.
Bob

beenthere

south central Wisconsin

Meadows Miller

Quote from: beenthere on December 22, 2010, 11:12:13 AM
Chris
You are right. :)

Bt Do I get a Prize Mate  ;) :D :D :D ;D

There should be some way you could rig a trip bar up so when your loading logs you could just put you foot down on a lever syst under the mill frame to free up the gears while you roll the log to where you want it then release it sorta like a power receder only your carriage aint moving when you use it Just thinkn  ;)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

bandmiller2

Dave, do you have a receder on your Corley carriage??Most setworks have a lock and its released manually with the "D" handle or automatically with the receder foot pedal to move the headblocks back for a new log.Some sawyers use the receder to flip the log back to turn it and advance it quickly.The old mill manufacturers used many of the same parts on different sized mills,mayby that foot pedal is just not needed on your mill. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Dave_

Yeah, Frank, it has a receder spring and there is a "C" shaped bar they call a pawl lifter bar attached to the foot trip.  There is also suppose to be a sawyers foot trip attached, but this one doesn't have one.  The previous owner just tied a cord to the pawl lifter bar so he could give it a yank when time to recede.  I think you are right about them using the same parts on different mills.  It's reasonable to assume that this set works would have also been used on larger carriages that employed the use of a block setter.

captain_crunch

Dave
I will get some pics of Duane's set works for you tomorrow

Thank You Sponsors!