iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lunar Eclipse Dec 20-21

Started by Tom, December 18, 2010, 07:46:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/December_2010_lunar_eclipse

The first total lunar eclipse to take place in the Northern Hemisphere winter solstice since 1638.  How about that?

Jeff

I was hoping to get a look. Looks like this will be for the other side of the world from us.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jasperfield

The best view would be from the moon, looking back toward the eclipsed sun.

SwampDonkey

It's going to be storming here, rain probably.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

LeeB

Guess I'll get to see it then. I'm on the other side of the world and working nights..
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Cedarman

I watched one in 75 or 76 while working on an offshore platform off the coast of Trinidad.
I had a perfect view.
Hope you have a good view Lee.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

LeeB

So much for seeing the eclipse. Got a PM from Furby with a link about it and apparently I won't be able to see it at all from here.  :(
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Dan_Shade

i think all of North America will be able to see it based upon the wikipedia offer

problem is we'll have to stay up all night to watch it!
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

metalspinner

Thanks for the reminder, Tom! :)

I read about it in last months issue of Sky and Telescope.  We'll set the alarm to get the boys up for a quick look-see if the forcast calls for clear skies.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Bill

My aunt - good older soul that she is - has a different perspective.

I told her that I was thinking about setting the alarm to get up at 3:30 ish to see when the moon disappeared completely in the earth's shadow .

She asked " So will you be getting up to see nothing ? "  .    ???

For the record I have it on good authority ( the neighbor next door  ?  ) that you'll see a brownish disk from other light that strikes the  moon.

metalspinner

From what I understand, Earth's halo created by the sunrise on one side of the planet and sunset on the other will affect the color of the moon tonight. Atmospheric conditions also plays a large part of the luner eclipse's color.

I'm debating with myself on whether or not to just role out of bed for a quick look or stay up for a longer show. :-\

Ianab

QuoteShe asked " So will you be getting up to see nothing ? "  .    

For the record I have it on good authority ( the neighbor next door  ?  ) that you'll see a brownish disk from other light that strikes the  moon.

Yep, you can see the moon clearly during a full eclipse, and it's coloured a dull orange like a sunset as it's only lit by a little light that sneaks through the earth's atmosphere like a sunset /sunrise.

We are still under a heavy rain warning here, so no view for us.  :(

This is one of my pics from the last total eclipse (August 07) :)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

fuzzybear

Quote from: Jeff on December 18, 2010, 07:52:17 PM
I was hoping to get a look. Looks like this will be for the other side of the world from us.
That's what I like about living up here, The other side of the world is just over my shoulder. This time of year the moon never sets. with the sun so low on the horizon the moon is always up.  Did have a slight preview last night. The moon is slowly turning red between 12am and 3am.  even better is that the northern lights are running like crazy during this time.
  I have never been able to get good pictures of the northern lights with my digital camera, but I will try my hardest to get pictures of the eclipse and post them for everybody.
FB
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

SwampDonkey

We had an eclipse here at the same time in '07. It was just on the horizon before moon set and before the sun was in view in the east rising.

This was just before the door was shut. Here, because of the sun was near the horizon, the sky was too bright to see the eclipsed moon, it blended into the sky.

Ian and I were both taking photos on opposite sides of the globe. ;D  We are further east here than you fella's to the south. ;)  We had a partial in Feb 08 as well. ;D

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ianab

QuoteI have never been able to get good pictures of the northern lights with my digital camera, but I will try my hardest to get pictures of the eclipse and post them for everybody.

From memory that one of mine was taken on a tripod with full manual settings and about a 2-3sec exposure. Automatic just doesn't cut it as the sky (most of the frame) is so dark. So I set the camera to manual shutter speed at try some different setting to see what works best.

Yup, just looked at the data in the original, F 4.6m Exp 2sec, ISO 400

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

wesdor

Guy at work told me that since this is the first eclipse and solstice it means we will have three months of winter in the northern hemisphere ( smile)

Tom

You should have flipped him a dime, Wesdor.  That's some pretty good information.  :D

fuzzybear

Quote from: wesdor on December 20, 2010, 08:26:58 PM
Guy at work told me that since this is the first eclipse and solstice it means we will have three months of winter in the northern hemisphere ( smile)

I ould be happy with only 3 more months :D
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

pigman

QuoteGuy at work told me that since this is the first eclipse and solstice it means we will have three months of winter in the northern hemisphere
I thought every winter every where was about three months long. ;)  It's just some areas have different lengths of winter weather. :)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

clif

Totally clear skies, a balmy -4 F  and the full moon rising and several hours away from its height.  Eclipse to start at 9: 30 pm Alaska time  :o  8)
Mighty Myte Mark IV Band Saw Mill .  " Don't let the past hold you back"

Warbird

It's looking pretty good from here in Fairbanks.  You guys have a good view of it there, clif?

Bill Gaiche

Saw the Eclips here at 1:45 am. Sure got dark out. Took some photos but not good, needed tri pod. It was pretty neat though. bg

Ianab

Got a glimpse of it though a break in the clouds, but they came back over before I could get any good pics.  :(

Ian

metalspinner

Completely overcast and rainy out last night here. >:(

Ianab,
That is a really cool pic there.  I can hear the Wolfman howling in the distance. :)

Tom

The news services (link) seem to always have someone in the clear to get  picture.

Thank You Sponsors!