iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Nyle kilns

Started by C0ke, November 30, 2016, 06:53:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C0ke

First I would like to say if this post is not supposed to be in this forum please delete it and I apologize.

Now with that out of the way, I have a timber king saw mill and we purchased a property that has a Nyle L300 Kiln (I believe made in 1997). I cut wood but don't have use for a kiln. The kiln was working up until about 7-8 years ago when we bought the property and shut the power off so it hasn't been in use since then. I was looking to sell it but I have no idea what it is worth used. I contacted Nyle and they said they are worth about $17,000 USD new plus shipping and taxes. Could someone give me a ball park what this thing would be worth used? Would there be any way I could test it (hook it up to a generator or something?) it has these power vents that must open and closed the vents too. What would they be worth? Thanks for the help.

Again, if this post isn't in the right place please delete it.

Thanks.

redprospector

The value of any given item is what the buyer, and seller agree on. Anything else is just an appraisal, an evaluation, or maybe even a guess.
I don't see any reason why you couldn't try it with a generator, if it is sized to meet the electrical requirements of the kiln. Most of the stuff I buy, I buy used. If a piece of equipment hasn't been used in a year or so, and there's no way to test it I won't give much because you just have to assume that it's going to need some work to get it going. How much work is anybody's guess.

So, all that said my suggestion would be to get it running, and advertise it as a working unit, or be prepared to take next to nothing for it. Just my 2 cents.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Because compressors that are idle deteriorate (seals dry out as they are not lubricated, for example), and because recent compressors are better than 20 year old ones (Involving the refrigeration fluid, for example), and new units have better controls, the value of a non-working unit is very small.  On the other hand, repairs are easy as any refrigeration person can work on these units and the 300 is open enough that it is easy.  But if repairs are needed, the cost is high.  Then, there is the cost of repair to the two heat exchangers and piping, if needed.  Even if they are ok now, the exchangers do not last forever and replacement, including new gas, is high.  The bottom line is that this unit has very small value if you were to use it or if you sell it.

Is there a non-profit wood working organization nearby that would like a kiln?  Donate it to them (after you get it working) and take a tax deduction.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

C0ke

Thanks for the replies. No non profit by me.

YellowHammer

The only way to asses the value would be to get it operational again to measure performance, refrideration pressures, confirm if the fans, contactors, sequencers, controls, safety switches, etc work.  These are specialized but relatively simplistic systems, but they do have a predictable useful life, and as stated they have wear when they operate, and also deteriorate when they are idle.  I know from experience that some of the Nyle hardware is pretty specialized and expensive from a component standpoint, and I had to pay more for a replacment evaporator coil than I did for an entire compressor.  They are easy to work on, but like any refrigeration system, expensive to service unless you do it yourself. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Den Socling

Maybe a vo-tech school would like it as a project. Like everybody says, it's been sitting too long to have any value and if you invest the money to get it operational, you might have a hard time getting it back. It's pretty old.

Brad_bb

If you mill wood, then you may decide it would be nice having one eventually.  I never thought I would need one, but now it would be good.  I have reclaimed wood that I'd like put in a kiln to kill any Powder Post Beetle (PPB) larvae.  I also want to make some flooring and it would be nice to throw my air dried wood in a kiln before making the flooring.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

jzahrt

Do you still have access to the manual and wiring diagram?
Burson St. Barnwood. Barn dismantling, and learning how to do bugkills

Thank You Sponsors!