iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

powderpost beetle

Started by Gary_B, December 17, 2010, 07:53:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary_B

I was wondering anyone has had any problems with powderpost beetles ? I have about 600 bd ft in a solar kiln, that I just started using for furniture. I noticed today one board after planning had a dozen or so pin size holes, started researching and seems like powderpost beetles. I have planned around 200 bdft and havent notice any holes until now. The way it reads, you dont see the holes until the adults have emerged. I airdryed it from Jan. -June then loaded it in the solar kiln from June until now. I know the temperatures had to be above 120 or more. I am concearned that some of the lumber I have already planned  contain the larvae. It was only in one board.

Larry

It's hard to say if the holes are cause for concern.  The PPB's could have been in the log before it was ever sawed and left all on there own.  Your kiln could have killed the nasty things.  My solar kiln did...I think you need 130 degree core lumber temperature for 4 hours.  They like some species better than other species.  In oak most times they are only in the sapwood.  Same with walnut but they really don't like any of that.  Hickory I think, is there favorite.

If your storing the wood keep a close eye in the April, May, June time frame as they seem to emerge about than.  If you see em it's time to nuke em with heat.  If your building a project I wouldn't worry much.  Sure they will bore out come spring but it is doubtful they will do much re-infesting as they don't care for finish.  And the little holes add character.

Just my experience with the bugs...I'll defer to one of the smart guys.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Gary_B

Thats what I am hoping for, at the time I am building a computer desk for a customer and when I noticed the small holes in the one piece I got a bit concearn, if it was for myself I wouldnt care to much. I will make sure I use plenty of stain and polyurethane . From what I have read you dont see the holes until the larvae turns to adults and they bore out, what I dont understand how do the eggs get there with out leaving a hole

SwampDonkey

I had some ambrosia in mine and some sawyer in pine as well, but they got in before milling. Logs laid awhile. Butternut, white pine. I've not noticed any bug holes in denser hardwood lumber.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

tomb

Hello Gary,  I built a hickory cabinet and finished it with 3 coats of stain and two coats varnish.  After bringing it into the house, the tell tale dust piles started showing up. >:(  It took a lot of work to finally kill them buggers! :o
Now I treat ALL my lumber with Timbor, even the kiln dried stuff!  Powder post beetles can make there way into wood after its been kiln dried.  I wont take chances anymore, treat it all and have no worries.  You dont have to use Timbor but something that contains borate in it.  I use the powder form, then mix with water and spray on the lumber.  It works out to be about 5 cents a board foot,  pretty reasonable.  Good luck with all your projects!
                                                                                              Tom

SwampDonkey

20 Mule Team Borax in hot water 1.5-2lbs/gallon to dissolve in a 3 gallon scrub pale. Apply with hand pump sprayer. I add sugar when I want to kill ants on the lawn. It'll make short work of that tribe. ;D Just watch out around the shrubs and trees it burns and kills roots. I use less water for the ants, more of a paste so they take it and the sugar to the nest.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

PineNut

I treat most of my lumber with a homemade equivalent of Bora-care. This is an expensive material to buy (about $90 per gallon of concentrate) but I can make it for about $20 a gallon of concentrate. I have had some beetles come out of the lumber shortly after treatment but they were in the lumber prior to treatment. Easiest way to apply is to flow it over the lumber and recover the run off. Shelf life of the working solution is in the months.

SwampDonkey

Borax is $20 for 5 lbs box dry weight. It's in the grocery store with the soap or the wife's laundry closet. :D

Autocar

I took paint thinner and put it on the rough sawed boards and they shot out of the holes like a rocket ship and were dead. They almost looked like a tiny woodtick.
Bill

Gary_B

I appreciate all the advice, does the borax stain the wood any? Do you think it would be safe to continue using the ash, but treat the planed boards before using on the desk? This is the first time I have had problems with the PPB, another chapter in wood I guess.

SwampDonkey

Borax will bleach the wood if anything with hydrogen peroxide when it's combined in the water.

Just Me

I routinely spray my rough stock, especially ash, with the 20 Mule Team concoction in the rough before I bring it into the shop for storage. Have had no problems with staining or finishing issues.

tomb

As long as you treat the entire stack of ash you should be fine.  I regularly use ash in my projects.
Timbor does not stain the wood in any way, and when added to water gets absorbed into the wood.  I spray both sides of the board and try getting the edges as best as possible.  This method fully treats the board to kill any of them nasty little buggers! smiley_hanged
After my experience with PPB, I would never want another project to be contaminated with them.  Also if you sell any of your lumber you wouldnt want to send PPB in there wood either.  When I sell my lumber I advertise that it is treated against any bugs whether its air dried or kiln dried.
I think dealing with these issues is a right of passage for every wood worker.  As you deal with more lumber all sorts of learning experiences are ahead, & this forum is the right place to learn from everyone experiences. 8)

Gary_B

Well I picked up a box of 20 mule team and mixed accordingly, I applied the mixture with a brush to my already planed boards. When I brushed it on I really gave it a heavy coating so hopefully this will take care of the beetle problems. Thanks for all advice.

Thank You Sponsors!