iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stoners!

Started by Raider Bill, December 16, 2010, 12:13:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider Bill

Got 10 lbs of stone crab claws last night. DELISH!!!
If you like snow or king crabs you will love these!

Warm them up, dip in butter enjoy!

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

WH_Conley

When I saw the title I was wondering why you were talking about the guys with the Left Handed Luckys on the food thread. :D
Bill

Raider Bill

They got the Munchies..................... 8) 8)

SwampDonkey

I've not eaten crab in the claw, but have eaten lobster. Can't be a lot different. I usually have Lobster around Christmas time. My folks buy us a can of lobster meat all processed. I mean it's not a paste, it's been taken out of the claws so you get big chunks of meat and no work to it. It's kept frozen. There is about 3/4 of a lb in a can. I make lobster rolls, toast the rolls with butter in the oven.  8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

??? ???  SD, you live in the lobster capitol of the world and eat canned lobster?  I'm sorry, just surprised.

We drove over to Shediac and got a couple of fresh steamed lobsters.  Probably the best that I have ever eaten.

Bill, did your Stone claws come frozen or what?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Mooseherder

We've had a hard time getting any volume of Stone Crab Claws for the stores so far this year.
The season runs from October 15 to May 15th.

The Market on them is relatively small and controlled by a select few who will hoard and drive the price up in very short order especially around the Holidays.  
The Palm Beach crowd gets pretty ugly if there aren't any around and there isn't any good excuse for not having available in their eyes.
The weather hasn't really cooperated up until last week, hopefully we'll get plenty in to take care of the demand.  
The flavor profile is on the mild side, tender and sweet. :)
Fisherman only harvest one claw and return the crab to the water.
It takes the crab 18 months to grow a new claw.
They are actually a mud crab but there isn't any mud flavor.
We used to pick them off concrete Seawalls down on the InterCoastal in North Miami and Hallandale.
It is a fun fishery.  
I like them better than Lobster SD. ;)
Real good with drawn butter or a mustard sauce.
They are cooked right as the boats come to the dock.  You don't want to over cook.
You can steam, grill, boil or grill them for a few minutes to heat up.

Mooseherder

You can tell if the Stones have been frozen if the meat sticks to the sides of the shell.
Nobody wants stones that have been frozen.  It'll ruin a Merchant's reputation quick.
That's why the spoiled rotten folks throw a fit if there aren't any. :D 

SwampDonkey

Magicman, the canned lobster is the same only no work getting the meat out. It's quite expensive to buy the whole lobster. The fishermen here are in an uproar because the processors pay rock bottom price and inflate the price 500% by the time it gets to the store.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Raider Bill

Quote from: Magicman on December 16, 2010, 09:03:23 PM
??? ???  SD, you live in the lobster capitol of the world and eat canned lobster?  I'm sorry, just surprised.

We drove over to Shediac and got a couple of fresh steamed lobsters.  Probably the best that I have ever eaten.

Bill, did your Stone claws come frozen or what?

Not frozen! They came off the boat that morning. Guy goes around selling them out of the back of his truck. He cooks them so all you have to do is either heat them or eat them cold which isn't bad at all.1 gallon ziploc packed full $20. about 5 lbs each bag. Local restaurants get $18-24 a lb depending on size. I prefer the mediums ones.
I'm getting another bag or 2 this weekend. Going to use some for a crab meat spaghetti sauce.

Mooseherder pretty much described them nicely.

Magicman

Thanks guys, the only way that you can learn is to ask.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Raider Bill

Quote from: Magicman on December 17, 2010, 09:32:39 AM
Thanks guys, the only way that you can learn is to ask.   ;)

No knowing anything about sawmills and logging it makes me happy to have a answer to questions here! ;D :P

Mooseherder

I checked the retail price this morning in our scale system.
Bill's appeared to be what we would call Large size.
The retail is 24.99 .  Bill you are getting such a great deal. 8)

SwampDonkey

They peddle fish here to in the summer mostly, but I've never seen any sales. The ones down on the wharf once in awhile they have a good sale. but the wharf is 3 hours drive from here. ;)

Raider Bill

He called these mediums. Had large and Jumbo's. The Jumbos looked like lobster claws they were so big.
I'm lucky as there are fish houses all over this area less that a half hour from the house I can get shrimp, grouper, snapper etc. right off the fishing boat.

Mooseherder

I just checked the price of the mediums.
They are 18.99 a pound today.
I'm coming your way to get some. ;D

scgargoyle

Wow- Those look good. It's been years since I've had any- I tend to balk well shy of $18 a lb., or whatever they're going for these days. I used to go out and dive for my own, but those days are behind me now.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

gunman63

If it takes them 18 months to grow a new claw, do u know what % they catch dont have a useable claw, just  wondering.

Mooseherder

I don't know what percentage but I'd bet they catch plenty with the smaller claw growing.
They must leave them alone and toss it back in to preserve their livelihood.

Raider Bill

That is correct. I believe there is also a size min. requirement. If I see the guy again I'll ask. He runs the trap line himself.
I made a crab meat omelet for breakfast this morning.

northwoods1

I could cry when I look at this thread :'( :'(

couple years ago I had some shrimp and had an allergic reaction... tried it again had another. I have always loved shellfish... now I can't have any :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

SwampDonkey

Had some fresh herring today, it sure is bony (tiny ones) but good stuff. Hard to find locally any more, mostly salted or smoked.  :-\

Tom

Northwoods, It might be advantageous to get yourself tested before quitting.   Dang can't eat shrimp either and has now been told that it might be a problem with the sulfides put on the shrimp, when they are caught, to help them stay fresh and keep their color until they get to market.

northwoods1

Quote from: Tom on December 20, 2010, 08:49:31 PM
Northwoods, It might be advantageous to get yourself tested before quitting.   Dang can't eat shrimp either and has now been told that it might be a problem with the sulfides put on the shrimp, when they are caught, to help them stay fresh and keep their color until they get to market.

Hmmmm, thank you for the suggestion I will look in to that for certain. I really hated to have to stop eating it!

Mooseherder

Sulfites are used to delay black spot on raw shrimp.
Some producers use Everfresh instead of sulfites.

Thank You Sponsors!