iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cold packed venison

Started by bclev, December 16, 2010, 10:11:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bclev

Does anybody have a recipe for cold packed venison?  I had a jar given to me a while back and would love to make some of my own.  Thanks.

jim king

If you do an Internet search for " Cold packed venison"  you will find many recipies.  I just did the same with beef.

Jeff

[lmgtfy]Cold packed venison[/lmgtfy]  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

woodsteach

pack into qt jars leave 1" head space and process at 11lbs pressure for 45 minutes... now this is off the top of my head  ::)  will check tonight to make certain

I just chunk up what ever and jam them in the jar.  now that I'm thinking it might be for 90 minutes.... will let you know later.

as for the eating:  open the jar and heat it on the stove top NOT the nuke machine and serve over mashed taters 8) 8)

Jeff that was a cool link  

woods

yep 11lbs for 90 minutes and do not add any liquid.
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

texbob

We did that a lot when we were first married. would make a gravy on it and eat it over taters, or mix veges with it and called it stew. We called that good grits. That was before I moved south and saw what grits realy are. Now that is something I can't call good grits.

texbob

Almost forgot, we used to can trout that way also. Tasted like canned salmon. Wasn't real crazy about that but it was something to eat.

Woodcarver

We pressure can venison as Woodsteach described.  We stick a small chunk of beef tallow in each jar with the venison.  Adds flavor.

Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

iffy

I have been canning it for years. My recipe calls for 90 minutes @ 15#. I put 1/4 tsp of canning salt and 1/4 - 1/2 tsp of beef bouillon powder or crystals in each pint. Have also been canning carp for years. I filet it, skin it, cut out the mud streak, leave the little bones in. Chunk it up in a pt jar and add 1/2 tsp of salt. 15# for 60 minutes. Use it in patties just like salmon.

Tom

I hear that Mudfish make good Salmon Croquettes too.  ;D

That's a mudfish, mud pike, dogfish, grindle, blackfish, cottonfish, swamp bass, cypress trout, whatever you call them.  They will knock the fool out of a top-water plug, destroy a plastic worm, take most any live bait and make you think you have caught a Black Bass.  :D

WDH

One man's mudfish is a bowfin to me  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DanG

Quote from: Tom on December 27, 2010, 05:58:38 PM
I hear that Mudfish make good Salmon Croquettes too.  ;D

:D :D :D  I've heard that canned mullet makes good Salmon Croquettes too. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

RynSmith

Anyone have a croquette recipe to share?   :)

DanG

I just dump a can of Salmon in a bowl, break an egg or two into it, and mix it up with a bunch of cracker crumbs.  Form it into patties and fry them.  I'm probably doing it wrong, but they sure are good. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tom

http://www.chitterlings.com/salmon-croquettes.html

DanG, That's the way we made them too, 'cept we got some onion in it and ate them with catchup if we could get it.

You can use other fish too.  The "rough" fish you marinate in milk in the refrigerator overnight.  I don't know why.

The oilier fish seem to make the best ones.  We used Blue Runner, Blue fish, Jack Crevalle, salmon from a tin, snapper, snook, or black bass, in a pinch.

I'll have to explain my experience with mudfish sometime.  :D

Thank You Sponsors!