iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log weight/mill size

Started by Just Me, December 15, 2010, 07:38:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just Me

Ok, first question.....

I am going to start looking at which mill I want to buy and this will be based on what amount of weight my tractor can handle. I have a New Holland 2320, 45hp with quickchange loader and forks. At the pin lifting capasity is 2000#s. It lifted my planer no problem which weighs 1940 #s so I would say that it is realistic. I lifted 2600#s of OSB the other day and it was all it [hydralics]could handle, and maybe just a little more than it should have.

So...

How do I calculate what log size would be too big for my tractor? Is there a chart that would help? I would be doing mostly hardwoods as that is what I will be using in the shop. I am not going to buy a bigger tractor, and there is no sense haveing a mill bigger than I can feed.

Point me in the right direction on how to calculate log weight so I can figure out max width and length.

Thanks, Larry

Mooseherder

Welcome to the Forestry Forum!
There is a Tool Box under the forum extras icon that has a log weight calculator along with some other great programs.  Good luck with your new mill.

Just Me

paul case

what mill are you looking at? pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Just Me on December 15, 2010, 07:38:00 AM

How do I calculate what log size would be too big for my tractor? Is there a chart that would help? I would be doing mostly hardwoods as that is what I will be using in the shop. I am not going to buy a bigger tractor, and there is no sense haveing a mill bigger than I can feed.

Point me in the right direction on how to calculate log weight so I can figure out max width and length.

Thanks, Larry
Check under Forum extras button, then right hand column "tool box" for calculators, there's one for log weight:  

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=toolbox

Just because your tractor might not pick up a 36" diameter oak log that is 25 feet long doesn't mean you wouldn't want to cut a 36" diameter log, or even a 48" diameter one for that matter.  What if it was pine and 8 feet long?  or what if you quartered a big log with a chain saw etc etc etc.  

The max load your tractor can lift, suppose it was 4500 pounds, doesn't mean you'll want to drive around with that.   Also you can figure out how to roll heavier logs onto your mill without picking them up.  
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

Quote from: Mooseherder on December 15, 2010, 07:47:45 AMThere is a Tool Box under the forum extras icon that has a log weight calculator along with some other great programs.

Quote from: Just Me on December 15, 2010, 08:38:24 AM
Very Cool! Thanks.  Larry

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on December 15, 2010, 08:59:52 AMCheck under Forum extras button, then right hand column "tool box" for calculators, there's one for log weight:

:D :D :D

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

paul case

redundant?  i probably didnt spell that right.  pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Magicman on December 15, 2010, 09:56:59 AM
Quote from: Mooseherder on December 15, 2010, 07:47:45 AMThere is a Tool Box under the forum extras icon that has a log weight calculator along with some other great programs.

Quote from: Just Me on December 15, 2010, 08:38:24 AM
Very Cool! Thanks.  Larry

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on December 15, 2010, 08:59:52 AMCheck under Forum extras button, then right hand column "tool box" for calculators, there's one for log weight:

sorry i was only looking for spelling errors
:D :D :D :
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Just Me

Just because your tractor might not pick up a 36" diameter oak log that is 25 feet long doesn't mean you wouldn't want to cut a 36" diameter log, or even a 48" diameter one for that matter.  What if it was pine and 8 feet long?  or what if you quartered a big log with a chain saw etc etc etc.  

The max load your tractor can lift, suppose it was 4500 pounds, doesn't mean you'll want to drive around with that.   Also you can figure out how to roll heavier logs onto your mill without picking them up.  

[/quote]

This is just the starting point in my process. I tend to go overboard on tools, and I am going to try not to so much this time........

I have broken 63 bones in my life, and fighting with logs is not something I want to do at this point. I looked at the table and just about everything I would want to cut could be handled by my tractor. 36" is huge around here, most would be in the 20-24" range, and I do want to be able to cut 16' plus a bit.

As far as which mill, I don't have a clue, just starting to investigate. There are a lot of WM mills around here, and I do want a bandsaw mill, but I will have to see what is out there and factor in cost. There is lots to read on here and I dop appreciate the insight you fellows have to offer.

Larry

customsawyer

I don't ever overload anything. ::)  This one is a 38' sweetgum

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Just Me

I keep seeing references to Sweetgum. We don't have it up here, what is it like and what is it used for? I've never seen it for sale even.

weisyboy

my bobcat will lift a log that is 20' long and 2' daimiter, but it will also lift a log 6' long and 4' diamiter.

i can roll a log into the mill that is 4' diamiter and 20' long.

i have never met log i couldnt cut, and i definetly havent found a log i didnt wnt to cut. and where there is a will there is a way.
god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia
www.weisssawmilling.com.au
http://www.youtube.com/user/weisyboy?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000696669814&sk=photos

ljmathias

Weisy, you certainly bring a smile to my face- I used to have all the pith and vinegar you seem to have, more muscle than judgment, not that I'm questioning yours, just my own.  I'd try just about anything if there was some benefit in it.  Now that I sprain muscles easier and don't have the strength I used to, I'm a little more careful on what I'll try.  Sure, I've cut big-butt logs and got some good lumber out of them.  In fact, I still do, but now it takes me a lot more time cause I'm careful some- probably not worth it if I was counting production, but still fun as long as I don't drop it on my hand or toe (which I've done and took a long time to heal).  Just be careful while you arm-wrestle those bigg'uns on the mill, hey?

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: weisyboy on December 17, 2010, 06:51:35 AM
my bobcat will lift a log that is 20' long and 2' daimiter, but it will also lift a log 6' long and 4' diamiter.

i can roll a log into the mill that is 4' diamiter and 20' long.

i have never met log i couldnt cut, and i definetly havent found a log i didnt wnt to cut. and where there is a will there is a way.
Where there's a MILL, there's a way!! 8) 8) 8)

weisyboy

bains over brawn mate, i dont do heavy lifting thats what i have machinery and emplyess for.

i used to struggle moving logs by hand, then i got a tirfur (comealong) winch, then i had a winch on the ute, its amazing what you can move with a 9500lb 4wd winch, then i got a loader on the tractor, once i broke that about 100000000000000 times i got the bobcat, now i need a end loader or drot.

you can do a lot with a small machine if you use your brain.

QuoteWhere there's a MILL, there's a way!!

now thats one for the books.
god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia

terrifictimbersllc

You would probably also like  "Where there's a LUCAS, there's a way"   Lucas please send me a royalty check if you start using this.  8) 8) 8)   And 5% to the Forum.

weisyboy

na im not a lucas fannatic like allan, he would keep his in his bedroom if he could get it threw the door.

customsawyer

The best answer I can give you is it is a hardwood that is used mostly for pallet lumber in the commercial industry. It is fairly easy to cut but will move on you as you dry it. The lumber is nice to look at and I have seen some things that were built out of it that were about as nice to look at as there is, it is just the amount of degrade in the drying process that makes it a poor tree in the commercial end of it.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Joe Lallande

I operate a Belsaw with 40" blade. This summer a friend dropped off seven, very wet, 16"-18" red oak logs ten to twelve feet long. I have the NH 1920 tractor with home made forks. We had to pull the logs off of his trailer. I was unable to pick the logs up with my small tractor. The first log was rolled onto my loading ramps and finally on the mill deck. We made one full cut and then we were unable to turn to log on the deck using two cant hooks. My point is just because you can load the log dosen't mean you can handle it. We rolled the log off the deck and with my chain saw ripped all of the logs length wise in half. I was then able to pick the half logs up with my forks. I then cut 4" to 12" one inch slabs with very little waste. The centers on most of the logs were starting to seperate. A few days latter I used the log weight calucator in FF's Tool Box. I was supprised how heavy these logs were. Good luck.

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

weisyboy

a "ute" is a utility vehile, i belive you call them pickup trucks.

i have one of these

winch mounted under the tray

couldn't roll it with a chant hook.

mate we can roll over a 4 ton log with 2 hooks.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: weisyboy on December 18, 2010, 07:40:28 AM

Just eat an extra slice of bacon in the morning and grunt a  little harder. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

terrifictimbersllc

Here I thought utes were just young helpers down there

weisyboy

Quote from: SwampDonkey on December 18, 2010, 07:53:55 AM
Quote from: weisyboy on December 18, 2010, 07:40:28 AM

Just eat an extra slice of bacon in the morning and grunt a  little harder. ;D

Vegemite on toast mate.

i have custom made my adjustable cant hooks, everytime we break them i make them stronger. havent been able to break these ones yet.

40mm pipe with 4mm wall for the handle slips inside (when perswaded with a 9lber) a 2 x 2 x 1/4" wall box section, the hook is lazer cut from a peice of 1/2" plate, 2" wide, (the one in this pic is a test one cut with the oxy.

Tom

It looks like the "adjustable" part that sticks through the handle, opposite the point part, would get in the way when engaging a log in a stack.  Does it?

Thank You Sponsors!