iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Autocar's Logging Rig

Started by fishpharmer, December 14, 2010, 09:45:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishpharmer

Just wanted to share a picture of Autocar's logging rig.  He will have to answer questions about the details.  Impressive setup he has.  Thanks for pic Autocar.  Autocar has a one man logging operation, not bad for an upper middle aged fella. 8)

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Bobus2003

snowstorm

is that a 12 ton trailer??looks like a lot of hitch weight

Autocar

It's a twelve ton trailer with 15 ton axles, for sure it's the best truck I have ever had but it still needs worked on now and then  ;D
Bill

northwoods1

Hurray for one man operations 8) you never have to worry about if the other guys are going to show up to work :D
How do you use that grapple skidder in a 1 man operation, what is your normal operating procedure?

paul case

Quote from: northwoods1 on December 15, 2010, 09:47:26 AM
Hurray for one man operations 8) you never have to worry about if the other guys are going to show up to work :D

you dont have to worry as much about getting the help hurt or vise versa.  pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

treefarmer87

that is the best looking 1 man setup i have ever seen 8) your equip is really nice. i want a set up like that. is that a 170 franklin? im looking for a truck set up like that right now.
very nice rig! 8)
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

mad murdock

is that a 78 Construktor?  My brother and I had one like it in Northern Wisc. back in the day.  It is still there, with a blown cylinder on the 400 Cummins.  It has a Prentice 110G.  Those Autocars are one tough truck.  Nice looking setup 8)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Autocar

It's a 1989 Constructioner, and a 1987 C-7 Treefarmer and northwoods I cut trees till I start getting tired then jump in the skidder and pull everything to the landing then buck and load. If I still have some fire left in me I'll cut some then pull everything out again. Ive had a few partners over the years but at times I would come home so upset it wasn't any fun. So now I can only be mad at myself and things seem to work very well that way  ;D On the down side getting hurt could be a disaster,Ive been hurt three times seriouly but seem like someone was with me for one reason or another. Getting older ,forgetting about five truck loads a day and just use the common sence God gave me . The best advice I could give anyone who thinks about working by themselves would be forget production work at a safe speed use all the saftey equipment they sell for a cutter and use common sence. I always thought if I had to die, the woods was the place for me, but years ago I cut my leg off right below my knee with a 075 and as I lay there looking up at a beautiful blue sky I realized that  thought sucked !
Bill

Autocar

Sorry trucks a 1987 and my skidder is a 1983 I started thinking about ordering a part on the skidder and it was half built in Canada then shipped to the U.S. and Franklin finished building it and getting parts has always been a pain.
Bill

northwoods1

Quote from: Autocar on December 15, 2010, 01:22:40 PM
I always thought if I had to die, the woods was the place for me, but years ago I cut my leg off right below my knee with a 075 and as I lay there looking up at a beautiful blue sky I realized that  thought sucked !

:o   whattttt? You cut your leg off ?.... you mean your a one legged logger how in the ??? does that work? Did they re-attach it?

I know exactly what you mean, seriously... I have been poleaxed and knocked to the ground and near death and the 1st thing that came to my mind was "Dan. G , I went and got killed today!",,, :D That one experience changed me forever. There isn't any piece of wood worth getting killed over!!! Hard to remember that when day in and day out it is a race to get a load of wood out and make a living.

Autocar

Well to give a better insite on this , it was March and hadn't worked for better then a month or two. So winter cloths carhart bibs I was huffing by 1:00 or so trying to get five semi loads cut. I had about six trees to cut falling a hardmaple about two feet in diameter. Started walking up along the side limbing it of and I can't tell you what happened all I remember was It was like someone blowed my leg out from under me and I was laying there looking up at a beautiful blue sky. Everytime my heart beat there was a squirt of blood so I took my hanky and tied it below my knee but it didn't seem to help so I took my other hanky and tied it above my knee and put a stick in it to tighten it up. The ambulance driver gave me H because I put the stick in it and tighten it up but I figured I would bleed to death if I didn't. The big bone I sawed a 1/4 inch out of it but the little bone was saw then when it broke it pulled a peace out with it.Blood, leaves, bone chips and dirt it was a site . They drilled four holes in the big bone then screwed in stainless rods into the bone then ran a 3/8 inch rod to keep it alined. September was when I walked on it again. I lost sight in one eye working on a skidder [ bearing race ] Broke my leg and crushed my knee limbing a big old wolf tree,limb snapped off and pinned me to the ground 12/14 feet from where I was standing. I was running a 084 with a 42 inch bar it was know where to be seen. So I asked a young boy that was carrying my gas/oil and water jug to find the saw. Luck was with me and it was still running I am not sure If I could of started it but I sawed it off of me then realized it was broke. I ask Brian if he thought if he could drive my truck and he didn't feel he could so I told him to gather everything up and I dragged myself out of the woods onto a wheat stubble feild got in the truck and drove him home then called my wife and she meet me at the hospital. Then another time I was working with another crew and they fell a red oak into a smaller walnut I had just finished falling a swamp white and was walking to the next tree when they statred pulling the red oak down . The top snapped out of the walnut with so much tension it flew and hit me in the back/head. Smashed my hard hat and broke my shoulder and collar bone. Everyone around thinks Iam nuts to still cut timber but it's in my blood and I love it and I know everyone that has timber in there blood will understand where I am coming from.
Bill

CX3

Very nice equipment, impressive.  Looks like something any man should be proud of
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

Ohio_Bill

I too am a one OLD man operation now going on 61.  I was able to semi retire from my day job this year and have always wanted to make a go at logging . My equipment is not nearly as nice . I have a old Massey Ferguson 320  cable skidder and a 4WD tractor with loader .  I hire my trucking done .  I keep the low grade and saw it myself mostly RR ties and side lumber.
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Autocar

Don't short yourself Ohio Bill thats a nice tractor and the truck can come in time. My first truck was a F600  single axle but to me at the time it was nothing but class  ;D  That loader thats on the Autocar cost me $900.00 I bought it off of Robertson Truck in Mount Vernon Ohio it came from New Orleans after hurracane trina. Just wait your fine a deal sooner or later. Good luck, dreams are what built this country.
Bill

barbender

Autocar, your nickname isn't Lucky, is it?  :) Seriously, that is a lot of accidents to live through, you have some fortitude- my hats off to you.
Too many irons in the fire

Meadows Miller

Gday Thats a bloody nice one man set up you have there Auto  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8) I have always liked the autocars but they are rare as hens teeth down here Mate  :( :(

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Frank H.

northwoods1

Quote from: Ohio_Bill on December 15, 2010, 07:16:33 PM

I too am a one OLD man operation now going on 61.  I was able to semi retire from my day job this year and have always wanted to make a go at logging . My equipment is not nearly as nice . I have a old Massey Ferguson 320  cable skidder and a 4WD tractor with loader .  I hire my trucking done .  I keep the low grade and saw it myself mostly RR ties and side lumber.

Hey that is a neat looking machine. I've only seen maybe 1 Massey Ferguson skidder before what is in it for an engine?

Reddog

My guess is Perkins, MF used them a lot.

Ohio_Bill

Yes the Massey Ferguson  has a 318 Perkins   about  80 hp   has a Gearmatic winch . It is not overpowered  but that's ok . Kind of old and slow just like its operator . :D
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

treefarmer87

there is a good size massey skidder for sale in fredricksburg VA. it is completely redone, new tires,paint and all. it is very nice i was going to buy it but it was a little too high for me ($12000) for a skidder that i might have trouble getting parts for.
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Stephen Alford

Just read this thread, not sure what to say but "tougher than a boiled owl " comes to mind.   ;D Great looking gear.
logon

Thank You Sponsors!