iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Good books

Started by northwoods1, December 14, 2010, 06:39:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

The TV miniseries with Tommy Lee Jones and Robert Duval was good. I never saw the more modern TV series.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Raider Bill

Patty are you still liking the Kindle?

Looks to me something like this series would be a good candidate for a Kindle version and maybe a good excuse to buy one. ;D  The Kindle version new best sellers are still more than a paperback though at the stand and IMO not much of a deal.

What model do you have?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Roxie

Quote from: Patty on September 08, 2011, 03:09:44 PM
I just ordered the "Lonesome Dove" series of 4 books. I am anxious to get started on them.

Be prepared to not be able to put them down.  Cowboy Bob bought the hard back editions of all four...THAT'S how good they are.   :)
Say when

Patty

I am looking forward to them Roxie.  :)

Raider, I really like my Kindle, but I have to say it is not for the economics of it, it is more the convenience factor.   New authors do offer their books up for free, or at steep discounts, and Amazon discounts books every week for Kindle books, that I get email notification for, but with that said, I can usually order a book used through Amazon and save a couple bucks. The problem with that is lugging around a book. For example, this week I had an appointment that required me to wait for an hour, so naturally I grabbed a book to take with me. However I was almost finished with that book, and knew I would need more reading material to fill the hour, so I ended up hauling two books around. Now I am a pretty hefty sort of gal, but two books in my purse made it weigh about 50 pounds it seemed. I nearly decked a lady when I bumped her with it.  ;D     It would've been so much easier to grab my Kindle. If I were a traveler I would use my Kindle exclusively, for the convenience factor.
I just purchased a new Kindle this summer due to its WiFi features. My original Kindle would download books via cell towers, and when Amazon switched to Sprint, I was no longer able to download easily. I either had to drive to a location that got Sprint, or download through my computer. It was a major pain.
The new Kindle uses WiFi to download which is awesome, and I bought the cover that has a built in brite light you can use while reading in the dark. I bought the cheap Kindle that allows Amazon to advertise on it. So instead of a photo of an author on the front screen, I get an ad. No big deal to me. These cost about $114 right now. I did not need the 3G option, since we travel very little, especially overseas. If I were a student I would use Kindle to get my text books so I wouldn't have to lug around books all over campus.
My mom is reading my old Kindle right now, but I would be happy to let you use it when she is finished, if you want to check one out. Just let me know.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Patty

The McClurty Lonesome Dove series was very good indeed! Thanks for recommending them.

I discovered a new author, John Hart, and have read 2 of his books; "Iron House" and "The Last Child". Both are very good books.

I have been driving a lot lately, so the audio books are being used daily. The first one I listened to was "Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter" by Tom Franklin. I did not care for that book, it was pretty depressing. On to better books!

George RR Martin wrote an epic series. Knights, and dragons, and kings....that sort of book....anyway they are pretty good. The first book in the series is, "A Game of Thrones: A Song of Ice & Fire", and now I am on the second book, "A Clash of Kings: A Song of Ice & Fire".  These are long books, over 1000 pages or 32 hours of listening time, but they sure beat talk radio or top forty for quality listening.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Weekend_Sawyer

Latley I have been reading books by C. J. Box bout a Wyoming game warden.
These books are fast reads and very entertaining. Like eating potato chips, I just can't seem to stop.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Raider Bill

Quote from: Patty on December 13, 2011, 06:31:20 AM
The McClurty Lonesome Dove series was very good indeed! Thanks for recommending them.

I discovered a new author, John Hart, and have read 2 of his books; "Iron House" and "The Last Child". Both are very good books.

I have been driving a lot lately, so the audio books are being used daily. The first one I listened to was "Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter" by Tom Franklin. I did not care for that book, it was pretty depressing. On to better books!

George RR Martin wrote an epic series. Knights, and dragons, and kings....that sort of book....anyway they are pretty good. The first book in the series is, "A Game of Thrones: A Song of Ice & Fire", and now I am on the second book, "A Clash of Kings: A Song of Ice & Fire".  These are long books, over 1000 pages or 32 hours of listening time, but they sure beat talk radio or top forty for quality listening.

I think HBO has a mini series titled Game of Thorns. Not sure if it's the same.

Just finished A Walk in the woods by Bill Bryson. Excellent!

Papa1stuff

I hate those things ,I sell real books! :D :D :( ;D :(
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

rocksnstumps

Just starting reading this thread and with Christmas coming up, I expect another book or two under the tree. A few from the recent past I have enjoyed:

The Land Remembers by Ben Logan about growing up in rural southern Wisconsin. If you like that one you might also like Every Farm Tells a Story by Jerry Apps

Animals in Translation by Temple Grandin about using the insights of autism experienced/lived by the author to help decode animal behavior

End of the Spear by Steve Saint which just shows how the Lord works in mysterious and wonderful ways.

And one I haven't read in awhile but came across it again on my parents bookshelf was Kids Say the Darndest Things by Art Linkletter. A compilation of hilarious stuff gleaned I think from his show back in the late 50's

SwampDonkey

"The Less Than Perfect Child" Is a true life story of a man who was called mentally retarded at aged nine that grew up and became a surgeon.

By Dr. David Bardsley

It's probably not a leisurely read and I think it goes into parenting. So it's not like reading fiction. I have not read it, but thought I would pass it along. Who knows, could be just another book to sell.  ::)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ianab

Quote from: SwampDonkey on July 28, 2011, 06:11:38 PM
Stephen King has a new book "Dark Tower". Apparently, it was slated for a movie. But the studio figured it would be a very expensive film, so cancelled plans.

When I was a kid, there was a game out called Dark Tower, it was a battery operated gizmo that sat  in the middle of a game board.

The Dark Tower is a whole series of book by Stephen King. (7 books)

The first one (The Gunslinger) was written in 1982. The

They are well worth reading, but a bit mind bending. King manages to write himself into later the novels, not as some cameo, but a main character that the other characters come to realise is the "writer of their story".  His nearly fatal accident is also in the story as the later books were finished after that.

As to what genre the books fit into? Pretty much all of them. Sci-fi, fantasy, vampires, mystery.. they cover it all. Other characters from his other books pop up in the series as well. Somehow he tries it all together, maybe by just not trying to explain everything,,,

As for making a movie of it... Maybe 7??  Peter Jackson is the only person I think would even dream of trying with such a huge and convoluted story... Makes Lord of the Rings / Hobbit seem like it's alternate title "There and Back Again"

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

JD350Cmark

If you're interested in float planes, this is a very good read;  Success on the Step: Flying with Kenmore Air

Over the last year or so I have been reading the Jack Reacher series by Lee Child.  I have passed the books on to 3 other people and they are unable to put them down.  I think there's around a dozen or so, maybe more.  I suggest starting with Killing Floor and then the order does not matter.   -Mark
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25

limbrat

I just reread a confederancy of dunces. I compare it to the movie sling blade, in that sadly i know someone that is like every main charcter.  ::)
ben

Chris Burchfield

Just completed: "One Second After," by William R. Forstchen, Ph.D.  Electromagnetic Pulse, ever heard of it?  I had relating to solar flares.  Caused by thermonuclear war heads, I had not.  This is a fictional read but, like Tom Clancy, is based on technical, existing, facts.  Not to ruin it, but one, two or three of these placed over the U.S. 150 to 300 miles into the atmosphere and we're talking the U.S. of A back to the 17th century.  "All" electrical including the planes in the sky shut down.  This story is about a man trying to protect his family during such an event.  I'm not a survivalist though I do have some skills.  The Foreword is by then Speaker Newt Gingrich.  I'm not looking for the end of the world with the Mayan calendar in December.  You are all my friends, I hope you all consider and/or have the opportunity read this.  Chris Burchfield
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

Raider Bill

Quote from: Chris Burchfield on March 05, 2012, 08:02:13 PM
Just completed: "One Second After," by William R. Forstchen, Ph.D.  Electromagnetic Pulse, ever heard of it?  I had relating to solar flares.  Caused by thermonuclear war heads, I had not.  This is a fictional read but, like Tom Clancy, is based on technical, existing, facts.  Not to ruin it, but one, two or three of these placed over the U.S. 150 to 300 miles into the atmosphere and we're talking the U.S. of A back to the 17th century.  "All" electrical including the planes in the sky shut down.  This story is about a man trying to protect his family during such an event.  I'm not a survivalist though I do have some skills.  The Foreword is by then Speaker Newt Gingrich.  I'm not looking for the end of the world with the Mayan calendar in December.  You are all my friends, I hope you all consider and/or have the opportunity read this.  Chris Burchfield

Chris, Both my SOon and I read this book. We both enjoyed it.

red

Birds of a Lesser Paradise by www.mayhewbergman.com  top notch emerging writer  check Amazon for reviews
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

RobJ

The book "The Golden Spruce" is really good, its by John Vaillant.  And another one called "The Wild Trees" by Richard Preston.  Both kind of focus around the West Coast Redwoods and each of them are true stories.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: RobJ on March 13, 2012, 08:00:51 PM
The book "The Golden Spruce" is really good, its by John Vaillant.  And another one called "The Wild Trees" by Richard Preston.  Both kind of focus around the West Coast Redwoods and each of them are true stories.

The first book is about a Sitka spruce on the Queen Charlotte Islands off BC's west coast. I worked there for 3 years and lived near that tree, although I never went to see it. I cruised timber out there, so I saw lots of Sitka spruce 60-70 meters tall. And not all cruised timber gets cut.

red

I came across an interesting book this week . www.40chances.com Finding hope in a hungry world. It talks about each of us having 40 chances to accomplish our goals in Life. Farmers can expect to have 40 growing seasons, giving them 40 chances to improve on every harvest. This also applies to anyone because we all have about 40 productive years in our careers to do the best job .
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

timberking

Just finished VICIOUS CIRCLE by C. J. Box.  A continuation of the Joe Pickett Wyoming Game Warden series.  I have enjoyed them all.  Next was G-MAN by Stephen Hunter.  This book fills in the back story of the Swagger clan from Polk Co. , Arkansas.  I like his writing partly because the Ark. references hit home for me being a native.

pineywoods

I like Tom Clancy's books, have most of them. Favorite is "The Bear and the Dragon" I couldn't put the book down..It's fiction, but very relavant to the political/power situation in today's world.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Raider Bill

I just finished Frozen Hours by Jeff Sharra. Korean War about the Chosin Reservoir battle. I couldn't read it fast enough.

He's one of my favorite Authors. Got started by reading his fathers Book Killer Angels.
http://jeffshaara.com/index.php

timberking

I will keep an eye out for that one Raider Bill.  Sharra's work is always a good read.

woodmaker

I like almost everything by Clive Cussler (especially from the Oregon files),anything by Louis L'amour , and most everything by Tom Clancy (especially "the hunt for Red October")
franklin q80,builtrite 40,husky 372,sachs dolmar 123, dozers,excavators,loaders,tri-axle dump trucks ,autocar tractor with dump,flatbed and detachable trailers, and 8  f350 diesels

51cub

It seems like when I do have time to read anymore, I have a hard time focusing anyhow. I'm slowly working my way through The Industrial Revolutionaries, and The Age of Steam. A couple of children's books  that I like to think make kids interested in reading are, The Broken Blade, and a sequel, I think it's called Wintering, if I remember right. They're set during the fur trade era
I believe in the hereafter, because every time I take two steps into the tool crib to get something I wonder " what did I come in here after"

If nothing else I'm always a good last resort or the guy to hold up as a bad example

Thank You Sponsors!