iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sandhill Cranes

Started by indiaxman1, December 13, 2010, 02:17:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

indiaxman1

Ky., my neighbor state to the south is proposing a season on the migratory sandhill crane...I thought that species was either endangered or protected.....and they sure don't look too appetizing...anyone outthere familiar with them, either as the subject of binoculars or as a game bird?..

beenthere

I understand from the old timers (they were when I wasn't) that they are very tasty, and one reason their numbers were way down (late '50's).
Since then, their numbers are way up and we see large numbers of them together in the fields of WI.
Some talk of a season on them in WI too.

Having a season helps make the birds more wary of people, I think.

The real problem bird, IMO, is the Canadian goose. Their numbers are real high, and they've become a real nuisance in parks and farmers fields. Fifty years ago we could shoot one goose in WI. That must have been so they could migrate south where there were much higher limits (or no limits at all?) in southern IL and further south.

I thought KY was all about chicken?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Tom

I don't know what the impact of a hunting season on Sandhill cranes would be. I know that they aren't very numerous down here, like they used to be.  They were eaten back in 1800's and early 1900's, along with the whooping crane.

It's the Whooping crane that is classified as endangered.  

Autocar

Today I was outside of the shop door and heard them coming ,there must of been 40/50 in the flock  they were a couple of hundred feet of the trees. I started seeing them about the second of December and most were up around the jet stream
Bill

Tom

Mooseherder

Where is your shop door location? :D  ;D

pigman

The door is in the front of the shop. ;) The question is where is the shop located? ;D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

SwampDonkey

A nesting pair of sand hills were sited for the first time up here in NB this year. I doubt they are that high of numbers. A nuisance probably. Geese here have never been much trouble until Frank McKenna had some nuisance ones trucked here from Toronto. And they are trouble in urban areas because that's what they are used to, where they were moved from. The ones out in the fields, the numbers have been down for years. Used to be 200+ in flocks until the late 80's and hardly anyone ever hunts or hunted geese around here. Dad had a spot on the farm that formed a small shallow lake in the late fall and early spring from runoff. That little patch was like watching those African Nature shows when they get big rains on the plains and everything turns to life and dry rivers flow again. Geese, ducks, killdeer, herons, frogs in the spring and so on until it dries up by mid May or little later. Used to drive out and just watch the wild life. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Mooseherder

We have some around.
I wonder if they taste like chicken?

Autocar

Bill

Chuck White

There was a show on the Outdoor Channel a while back where they were taking Sandhill Cranes.

According to the conversation on the show, the birds cook up quite tasty!

Myself, I don't care for any migratory birds!  I think they all taste like liver!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

jdtuttle

Protected in NY. I can't stand them, they will kill all the fish in a pond real quick. :(
Have a great day

Thank You Sponsors!