iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Girl with a mill, an introduction

Started by chelle, December 13, 2010, 12:48:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chelle

Hi everyone, I've been lurking here for a while now and gaining as much info as I possible can. I can't even tell you how much info I've picked up from ya'll. The first thing I did was search "what not to do" LOL

My name is Michelle and I live in BC. I originally bought a used mill (Norwood LM2000 with a custom 20' deck) for my personal needs as running to the lumber yard everytime I needed a board eats up half a day. So I did a bit of research, got together a budget and bought a mill plus some other stuff. I had a couple of barns and sheds to build so the saw has just about paid for itself already. Yes I know it looks messy in this pic but when the sawdust flies the cut boards just seem to pile up fast.

I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN, I've read all your posts. Once my neighbors in my little community found out that I've got a mill next thing you know, full time sawing and woodwork.

So I knew that I needed a few log moving devices. I mostly get blowdown logs or donated ones. Mostly Douglas Fir or Spruce and some pine. My first build was a 4' x 8' dumping trailer with a 1000lb boom with winch. This works great for firewood and shortwood. I pull it around with my 800 quad. Now I needed to build an arch to haul some bigger sticks. So I built an arch to haul 30" x 16' logs. It works great but when I've got a full size stick on there it weights more that my quad, not good. I now haul with a Chevy tracker. It's small and a fraction of the price of a side x side. I get into places that most machines can't. The arch is great but I can only haul one stick at a time. So next build, a walking beam log trailer. Oh ya I'm a fabricator/ welder for the last 22 years so I've got some welding skills. I built a trailer to haul 5 sticks at a time. It's got a large boom with a 3000lb winch. I built it so that I can convert it to fully hyd somtime soon, well as soon as I can collect some parts. I've also got a mini dozer/ loader but I don't use it as much as I thought I would. My next purchase will be a skid steer or a 4x4 tractor.

SO milling in the winter sux. I've got a split log stairway to build for a neighbor and running the mill at -18 is no fun. I've also got B&B siding job to do. I broke everything. First was the throttle cable, then the filter froze, then the coolant had water in it and froze, then the fuel had water in it. I've just taken the motor right off and took it to the honda dealer to clean the carb properly. I'm hoping it's the carb. She cuts fine for 10' and then all of a sudden runs rich, sputters and blows a cloud of blue, I idle back and she runs fine. Idle up again and I get another 1' and it sputters and dies. I'm thinking carb. Another problem that just creeped up is I'm suddenly getting a rough cut. It's like the blade is occilatiing (up and down). I've made sure that no frozen sawdust has gotten under the belts, I've replaced both belts, changed blades in case I had a blade with a bad set. Nothing. I've cut all spring and summer with smooth cuts and now it's so bad I have to run every piece through the planner. I don't get it.

What can I say, I'm having the time of my life. I'd like to say thanks for all your insight into the fine art of milling and answering most of my questions without me even asking. The pics are not that recent, I've got 1' of snow on the ground here now.

Cheers

Michelle

Bill Gaiche

Welcome. Good story and some good photos also. The F/F is really a place that you can learn just about anything you can possibly think of. Keep warm, bg

Brucer

Welcome, Michelle. That milling site is a lot cleaner then many I've seen  (like mine).

Another problem that just creeped up is I'm suddenly getting a rough cut. It's like the blade is occilatiing (up and down).

Is this a ripple? That's usually caused by a dull blade. It can also happen when you have a series of hard knots -- each time the blade hits a knot it slows down and that makes it wander.

Another type of rough cut I run into is a series of parallel rough sections, with smooth patches between them. This happens when the blade begins to vibrate at its natural frequency. It's due to a combination of blade tension, distance between blade guides, cutting speed, tooth spacing, width of the cut, and carriage speed. I run into this in Douglas-Fir from time to time. Sometimes you can damp it out by changing one or more of the above -- sometimes you just have to live with it. It rarely happens in log after log -- just the odd time.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

redbeard

Welcome, Nice set-up I have the same problem with the wash board cuts too! Its like what Brucer says most of the time its guide rollers and tension , but the knots will be the main culprit especially on the DF . If it still is doing it on clear logs try going a little faster sometimes going to slow will do it. I'am still learning also this is a great forum.  Good luck
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

chelle

Thanks for the info. I've decreased the tension as I had two blades pop off. I'm thinking it was because of the cold weather making the rubber belts hard. I'm going to try to up the tension now that it's warmed up to -4 during the day. I'd describe it as almost like one tooth on a blade is way out of set but I know it's not as I've put three different sharp blades on and it's still there. I've been cutting fir all summer and it's always cut really smooth. it's only recently that I've run into this problem. I'll take a picture tomorrow.

I need to get this sorted out as I've got one more winder tread to cut @ 20" and my planner is only 15". The mill has run so good since I bought it and it's only in the last month that it's been giving me headaches. I'm now running wiper fluid, I keep the fuel tank full and the blades sharp.

fishpharmer

chelle, welcome to forestryforum!!! 8)  It's my goal to never mill a log below freezing temps ???. so I am no help with the rough cut.  I have read here how people use different angle blades for frozen logs, not sure if that will help the rough cut.  Concerning the rough running engine, my first thought is ethanol gas causing some problems, maybe not. 

Multiple pictures in the first post is awesome.  Nice log handling equipment you built yourself too, which is really much more impressive than the pic posting.  8)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

customsawyer

Welcome to the forum. What degree blade are you running now?
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

bandmiller2

Welcome Michelle,I would not blame yourself or the mill for problems at the temp. your cutting,save your milling for those balmy days above zero.Sometimes less hook angle and diesel fuel for lube will help in fridged weather but its best to wait til warmer temps.Do you sharpen and set your own bands Michelle,?? Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Roxie

Say when

Nate Surveyor

You sound like you are very tallented, and willing to learn. Not enough folks like that!

N
I know less than I used to.

Bibbyman

Welcome to the Forum...  Looks like you've got all the toys!   :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

isawlogs

I have seen the type of cutting you're experiencing. It happens at this time of year , the log is only partial frozen , the outer wood is hard as rock, the rest is much softer, aint much you can do but go slower to cut the same amount of lumber , Once the logs completly freeze it will go better.
 As for your engin not running well, the 20+HP Honda engins are prone to misbehave in the cold. wont run well, will be hard to start, keep new plugs in it, use high octane gas.

Oh!!!  Welcome to the forum Chelle  ;)  8)

Would come out here and "mess" up my lumber pile some what like yours ... It would be a big improvement  ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Magicman

First, Welcome to the Forestry Forum, chelle.  You have a very interesting setup with your sawing and log handling operation.  Yup, as you quickly discovered, sawing business grows when neighbors find out.  The personal satisfaction that you get is a greater reward.  Again, Welcome.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

laffs

i had similar prob lems turned out to be the air filter. had an iner and outer both looked fairly clean but its the fines have to bang it out and blow it out too with compresser. also guide wheels they wear, should be changed from time to time, nice spare part item.
Brent

welcome to the ff
timber harvester,tinberjack230,34hp kubota,job ace excavator carpenter tools up the yingyang,

terrifictimbersllc

Welcome to FF!  Sounds like you belong here as we all know how it is easier to start a sawmill business than run to the store for a board  8) 8) 8)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

paul case

welcome michelle,
only thing i would add to every tip here is track must be level and clean. my mill wants to pick up bark in the v groove in the wheels. i am sure you already looked but its worth saying.  pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

barbender

Welcome Michelle! Nice looking fabrication work you have done. One thing I have seen on Hondas before, my generator engine would ice up the crankcase vent that comes out in the air filter housing. Then oil would start to push out around the seals. I don't think that's the problem you're dealing with as mine still ran fine, it was just blowing it's lifeblood on the ground :) But my point is, Honda's are great engines, but they are not set up for cold weather operation. I wouldn't be surprised it you are getting some carb icing or something.
Too many irons in the fire

barbender

Are you giving your temps in C or F? -18°F is a losing battle, I think. You have more grit than me for sure ;)
Too many irons in the fire

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum Michelle.

Lots of good people and info here.

Looks like you have lots of stuff to play with.  Nice.  ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Bandmill Bandit

Hi Michelle
Welcome to the forum. What part of Gods country do you have the privilege of living in? There is so much gorgeous country in BC.

One suggestion on a loader type machine. Bobcat types are good but hard on the ground. There is getting to be a good selection of MTV and CTV versions of the bobcat types on rubber tracks around and I have found them to be very useful in handling timber and cut lumber. Personal pref for me is all hand controls especially in winter when you have the over size warm boots on. That is the next purchase on my list.   
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

isawlogs

Me , I would get a farm tractor with a front end loader before a bobcat anytime , bur I don't know what you have in mind for the bobcat  ;) For me a tractor is so much more usefull , to some its the bobcat .  ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

beenthere

Quote from: barbender on December 13, 2010, 10:09:50 AM
Are you giving your temps in C or F? -18°F is a losing battle, I think. You have more grit than me for sure ;)

Being 'chelle is Kamloops, BC, their cold the last few days has been -3 C for a low. So am thinking at around freezing weather. Kind of like FL is this time this year.  Brrr!

Welcome to the FF 'chelle
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Hilltop366

Hi chelle and welcome.

Blue smoke usually means burning oil, If it was running rich on gas the smoke should be more black, I wonder if it is possible that the just below freezing weather could cause the crankcase breather to malfunction and put oil in the air filter?

My Honda generator has a auto choke that will sometimes stay on too long or come on when warming up and cause it to run too rich, if you don't have an auto choke it could also be possible that the choke flap is moving too freely and getting sucked on at higher rpm then flipping back off when the engine speed is reduced.

Also it is good to open the drain on the carb once and a while (when the engine it cold) to let out any dirt or water that has collected there, I repaired a motorcycle once that worked fine at lower rpms but at higher engine speeds it would run rough because it was trying to burn the water in the bottom of the carb as soon as the engine speed was slowed down it would work fine again.... another one had the air filter installed incorrectly.... another one had a piece of cloth that would some times plug off the air box intake......

Hope they get your's fixed up soon.

chelle

Thanks for the very warm welcome everyone. I live 50 km's (30 miles) north of Kamloops BC and about 2000' higher than Kamloops. The crazy thing with a mill is how my personal projects have somehow got pushed to the back of the list, how did that happen. I have all the beams cut to build a saw shed and I was just too busy this fall to build it and now I'm cutting in the snow. Go figure. Thanks for all the tips on the Honda, it's been really solid until the last couple weeks so I'm pretty sure it's a simple fix, I hope. Yes I sharpen and set myself.

I'm at the point now where I'm going to have to figure a new source of logs. I had a good supply but now that I'm cutting for other ppl my stack is getting thinner. I maybe a bit of an idealist but I really like the micro forestry part of what I do. I take my little truck out and search a bit for the perfect tree. Sometimes it's on the ground and sometimes not. I fall it, section it, haul it, mill it, plane it and then build something sweet with it. At this point I'm not even sure that I'm breaking even but I'm sure having a good time. I think in the future I'm going to try to do most of my welding jobs in the winter and the milling in the summer but you all know how that turns out, best laid plans.

I know you all like pix so here's a couple more.

I built this firepit and bench

I built this bench for the moms in our little community, it's at our swiming hole

Digging a trench with my supervisor watching

What I do in the winter for fun

What I do in the summer for fun

captain_crunch

Welcome chelle
Need another project?? You could make me a trailer like yours fer Christmas  ;D ;D ;D That looks like a neet setup 8) 8) 8)
I would prefur the 4X4 tractor with loader and ROPS over Bobcat. You can run mower tiller ect with tractor. And even used Bobcats ain't cheap so think you would get more for your money with a tractor
Brian
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Thank You Sponsors!