iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT10 on wheels

Started by tyb525, December 13, 2010, 12:14:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyb525

I'm thinking about putting my LT10 on wheels. Basically, I want to put an axle under the existing frame (4x6's supporting the angle iron track). I'm pretty sure that will be fine if I center the head over the axle when transporting.

My real question is whether it is a good idea to use leaf springs or not. I've seen axle kits that come with leaf springs.

Would it be too hard on the mill to not use them or are they unnecessary?
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Bill Gaiche

I will say that its a good idea to go ahead and put the springs under it. It does take some of the shock away from the mill. At least when you hit that unexpected chughole. Also it will give you a little extra heigth so your not bending over as much. Plus you may decide to add extra things to your mill like a turner, jacks or whatever. you will be ready for the extra weight. You may want to narrow the axle so your wheel sets close to the bed and its easy to walk around when pushing the mill down the track. Good luck, bg

Brucer

I'd definitely want springs -- and not very stiff ones either. You'd probably be best with an axle and springs off a lightweight utility trailer.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

tyb525

That's what I was wanting to know - thanks!
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Magicman

There are no springs under my LT40.   Edit:  Wrong Answer   :-[
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

isawlogs

I was under the impression that all of Woodmizer mills had springs ... I would definitly put springs under it .

Magic, do you have torsion axle under that mill ???
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

paul case

is that wood 4x6 frame on your mill? most folks dont even talk about it but wood framed wagons were very popular and worked well. i was just curious of how you were going to attach your axle and tongue if it was a wood frame.
i have 3 tandem axle trailers that have no springs.16' 18' nd a 24'. the 24' is a gooseneck with dove tail. we haul a lot of tactors and such on it. loaded it doesnt pull any different than one that has springs but empty is another story. my dad likes to let the air out of the tires down to about 30 lbs when he is coming home from very far empty. that cushions the shock a lot on rough roads. on a light mill like the lt10 you could probably get by with no springs and about 25lbs of air in the tires. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

isawlogs

Paul , they gad the leaf spring under the seat .  :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

paul case

most of the old wooden wagons we had around here didnt have a seat at all. my gpa used them for hauling firewood and hay and anything else that needed hauled. load was the seat and going empty you sit on the floor or stood up.you guys up north had it too easy. A SEAT huh!  pc
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
pc

isawlogs

Yup , a nice concept too  smiley_smug01

Marcel

Magicman

:-[ :-[ :-[  I guess that I should look under the mill more often.  Sorry.   :-[ :-[ :-[
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Qweaver

I've built several sailboat trailers without springs to get the boat as low as possible for launching but that's not really a good way to do things.  Running oversize tires at minimum recommended pressures helps.  I would use springs if I could.   
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Chuck White

Quote from: Qweaver on December 13, 2010, 09:46:10 AM
Running oversize tires at minimum recommended pressures helps.  I would use springs if I could.   

I was thinking the same thing!  Balloon tires, sometimes referred to as "floatation tires". 
Only caution would be your highway speed.  Low air pressure tires can't really take much speed.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

tyb525

Yeah, they are wood 4x6's attached to the bottom of the track. I figured I would bolt it on somehow, I don't have an axle yet so I'm not sure. For now I think I would make it removable for when I'm sawing, unless I can figure out a cheap but strong jack system similar to what's on the portable mills.

paul case

ez boardwalk adds a axle to the mill for transport. loks like it would work real slick. leaf springs under an angle iron that bolts to the bottom of the frame. he has a pic of it under model 40. look at the left of this page for his icon. pc
pc

Busy Beaver Lumber

Ty

You can not just bolt an axle to the 4 x 6 runners under your mill and use that as the frame for the trailer. It will not be strong enough and will almost certainly damage the tracks.

The cross members on the mill are not rigid enough to keep the whole assembly from racking and twisting.

You will need a rectangular metal frame under the 4 x 6 timbers with welded cross members to provide the needed support.

If you plan on running the mill while it is on the trailer, you will need to build the trailer to with axles to take a load of approximately 5000 pounds (3000 lb log, 750 lbs mill, 1000 lb trailer itself) at a minimum. And you will need approximately 8 leveling jacks, 1 at each corner and 2 equally spaced down each side of the 14 to 16 foot trailer.

Be careful about securing the carriage assembly down real well. Do not rely on the 4 L shaped brackets that keep it on the track because they have slotted grooves and it will not take much to have them loosen and possibly allow the carriage to jump off the tracks. Ideally, you would want the carriage as far foward as possible to get some tounge weight. Put it too far back and the trailer will sway from side to side and be difficult to control.

If you nee help, let me know. I have a buddy that is an excellent welder and loves to do projects like this. Would probably do it for you for free to help you out. He is the fellow named Greg you see on my website and he built one heck of a nice triaxle trailer in less than a week for about $1800. He does all my firewood deliveries and takes 500 bundles at a time with that trailer on a weekly basis.
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

tyb525

That's quite a bit more detailed and helpful. My main concern was if I was going to need additional support in addition to the 4x6s. I was afraid I might. That was kind of the deciding point on making it mobile or not. Looks like I won't, I'll probably wait and upgrade to a real portable mill later on.

That won't be too bad though, as I haven't really had anyone wanting me to come to them yet.

Kevin

You could put it on a trailer and bolt it down for transporting it.

Captain

Ty, looking forward to reading about the growth of your business!!

Captain

tyb525

I have been thinking about the possibility of transporting it on a trailer and unloading it at the site.

Busy Beaver Lumber

Ty

That shold be a piece of cake to do. If we take a simple trailer, we can modify it and add a few rollers to it that would go under the 4 x 6 beams so that you could jack up the front of the mill, back the trailer under the front edge so the front of the mill is on the rollers, and then winch the entire mill on to the bed of the trailer on the rollers. When you get to where you want to use it, just reverse the process and level it up with some scrap wood blocks.

Like I said, if you need help let me know.

Fred
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

Thank You Sponsors!