iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thank ye much

Started by etat, November 25, 2003, 08:09:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

etat

OK, yall did invite me in, fair and square, and I did ask.  I really do appreciate it, but you gotta know, sometimes my mind works a little funny, or crazy at times.   Not too long ago I was trying to figgure out how to make a saw out of an old crosscut saw, and hooking it to a hay sickle mower and hooking that to a john deer tractor.  Just couldn't seem to get all the details worked out in my head!  The first tree I ever cut, I was about 8 or 9 years old, and wanted a pole for a basketball goal.  There was woods right behind the house.  My dad told me to go pick out a white oak tree and cut me a pole.  He wasn't too worried because I was going to use a boy scout hatchet.  Well, without his knowledge, I picked me out a nice sized tree, about a quarter mile in the woods.  Not too big, just about 20 inches or so in diameter.  Must of took me a week to get it down and cut the top out and clear around it.  When he saw what size tree I cut he like to had a stroke.  .Told me I'd have to get it out of the woods myself.  I spent another week cutting vines and making a straight path.  Then I hooked my shetland pony up to some old harness, that's when he decided to help me again.  We cut short tree limbs for rollers and snaked that pole out of the woods.  I spent another few days digging a hole.  Then it was my job to go talk enough neighbors into helping us get it stood up.  I poured motor oil in the hole before filling it in.  When it was all said and done, that was a great summer.  I don't ever remember being banned from doing anything, but when I started something I was expected to finish it.  I betcha a lot of yall have got stories to tell.  I'm going to stay around in the hopes of hearing some of them, amongst the expert advice around here, which I may have little of.  And I promise, I won't post this long again.  
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Viking

haha I did something liek that this sumemer for my little brother and little sisters. it was a huge pine tree about 20-24" in diameter. haha they want the hoop to be at nba regulations height so i cut a 15' piece of the tree off " the bottom part of course :) then came the take of moving it down the ski-doo trail which is pretty twisty haha. it took 4 of us to move.we took 2 4" in diameter x 3ft poplar put one in the front for my dad and his friend to use and me and my brother used one in the back and we lifed it up :) took about 5 mins to take out of the bush, about 600from the house. lol at first we were gonna carry it on our shoulders, which we did for about 200ft, but it was just painful. anyway the pole is up, but they havent put the backboard and rim up yet, go figure.

Mark M

Hi CK

That's a good story and don't worry about being a little long-winded. That way I can read for a while and rest my mouse-clicking finger. :D

Mark

chet

CK, Ya gots ta get together with JeffB. He gots one of dem new fangled motorized crosscuts. I got to play wit it dis summer, it's quiet da mochine.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

woodmills1

when i was young we would build forts from the crates we hauled from the chemical company at the end of the street.  one halloween we decided to build a coffin and then of course made a dummy and buried it in the sand pit at the other end of the street. well wouldn't you know they started to remove sand again the next summer and found the coffin.  made the papers we did.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Gus

"How do I know what I think unless I have seen what I say?"

Mark M

When I was about 14 or so I worked at a resort as a dock and my friend George worked at the next resort. We were having trouble with a young bear that kept hanging around and digging out the garbage and fish guts. One day George and I got the idea that we would just catch the bear using 2 ropes just like they did on the Wild Kingdom show on TV. We got our ropes and I got a Snickers bar for bait. The bear came up to me to get the candy bar and just as I was about to slip the ropes over its head Geroge said "Hey wait a minute, what are we going to do once we catch him?", "How we gonna get the ropes off?" Well I didn't have a good answer and neither did George so being prudent fellows we decided maybe it wasn't such a good idea after all. Too bad we chickened out because we probably would have made the newspapers too! I can see the headlines: "Two Local Boys Eaten by Bear!" :D

Jeff

That reminds of many years ago when Tammy and I lived in our first little house. We had this Raccoon thatstarted coming to the front door and eating the dogs food. It got so it would stand at the screen door and look in, and finally it got to where it acted like it wanted to come in. The dog (a collie) would be on the inside growling, and the coon on the outside growling back but unafraid. After a night or two we began to wonder if the coon could be rabid as it acted so strangely.

We made a call to the DNR and they sent out Officer Earl Ladere and his ride along. When Earl got there, the coon was at the front door we were inside talking to earl through the screen as the coon ate. Well, Earl came up with a plan. He opened the trunk of the patrol car where he had a large cardboard box. It needed to be cause this was a large coon. Earl walked up behind the coon and pounced. He covered that coon right over, first try. Well, we have now reached the end of Earls Plan. At least the planned part. He began a conversation about what the next step should be. Earls ride a long gave a couple of suggestions as I just stood there with a big grin.

Well, about that time the coons plan came into play. He busted throught the bottom of that box like he was shot through it. Up and over Earls face and head, down his back, across the yard and into the woods. First and only time I ever heard a CO scream like a girl.

The next day I went over to my landlords to tell him about the wild coon. He took me out to the barn and introduced Rocky to me. He was in the dog kennel eating a dounut.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

etat

Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Mark M

That fella being scared of the coon reminded me of something that happened when I was working as a mechanic. We had this sand or glass bead blasting machine in the shop with a window that you looked through and these big shoulder-lenght gloves you put your arms in to work. Ever so often the glass in the window had to be changed because it got frosted from the sand blasting. One day I was changing the glass when the lunch bell rang so I stopped and went to eat. One guy I worked with was kinda small and a real joker, we called him Little Jerry. When it was time to go back to work Little Jerry had crawled inside the bead blaster, pulled in the gloves and put his arms into them. He was small enough and the blaster was big enough he couldn't be seen. The leadman, who always brought back 2 cups of coffee from lunch, was just about even with the bead blaster when Jerry stuck out his arms and grabbed him with those gloves. Needless to say the boss jumped sky high and both cups of coffee went straight up in the air about 3 feet and just hung there for a split second. The boss' glasses and hat stood there in mid air too, just like in the cartoons. It was a DanG good thing the boss had a good sense of humor othwerwise Little Jerry would have probably been sent down the road kickin a can.

Thank You Sponsors!