iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Trailer axles

Started by DanG, November 25, 2003, 08:07:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanG

I seriously gotta upgrade my trailer. It is a 24' tag type made of heavy 6" channel, but the springs are wimpy and it has no brakes. northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company has 6000lb axles with hubs, springs and brakes for $300 each. Anybody used any of these? Is it a good deal, or are there other sources I should be checking out?
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

etat

There's a place I get mine from that makes trailers.  They buy axles with springs and hubs and steel by the truckload.  When I bend a axle on my trailer that's where I go.  I usually get them for around a hundred and a half, but they don't have brakes.  I have a three axle trailer that I use to tear off in instead of a dump truck sometimes.  It has a steel floor, and the guy at the landfill drags the load off with a track hoe.  Sometimes we overload it pretty heavily, and sometimes he gets a little heavy handed with the hoe.  About once a year I replace  the bent axles, and straighten up the frame and sides.  
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Frank_Pender

Out here, Dan I have used 10,000lb modular home axels after they have the home in place.  I can usually get them for about $75 to  $100 and that includes the tires and rims. 8)  You can somtimes find them that are adjustable in length. I have sets of those for future use or trading stock.  They are usually more expensive.
Frank Pender

Fla._Deadheader

Mobile home axles, DanG. I can get take offs for $50.00. $10.00 will usually getcha wheels and sometimes tires. They are rated at 6000# and most have electric brakes. I have 3 under the goosey necker and 1 under "Homey". Lowboy tires should be used, and I get them for $65.00 each at 10-12 ply.
  Yer in MH country, son. ;D :D :D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

DanG

I'uz tryin' ta stay away from the MH axles. I've used'em before, but I ain't impressed with tha brakes. Look like throwaways ta me, and tryin' ta get replacement shoes, etc is next ta impossible. All the ones I seen carry 14.5" tires, and the MH tires ain't legal. Lowboy tires are expensive, from what I've seen.
The new Fla law sez "brakes on all axles on multi-axle trailers."  Breakaway actuators are mandatory, too.
Harold, where do you get lowboy tires for that price?  Do they fit the MH rims, or didya have to modify anything?
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Fla._Deadheader

Lowboys ARE 14.5. Call a tire shop, may susprize ya???  No mods.
   I figgered that if the brake pads wear out, I could get replacements. Somebody hasta build them ::) ???  You CAN get replacement heavy duty brakes, for about $100 bucks per axle, I think???
  I got brakes on all 3 axles AND the breakaway disconnect. Ya need a battery on the trailer to spread the brake shoes, and I got the winch battery, soooooo. ;)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

dail_h

A lot of mh axels are Dexter brand ,a search of their site might help. I know they have a dealer in Charlott N C
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

theonlybull

mh axles are nolonger alowed on new trailers up here (nova scotia) and they say you can't get brake parts....  there are aftermarket units that will work with the mh drum,  or worst case, you could drill and relign the old shoes..
Keith Berry & Son Ltd.
machine work and welding

Thank You Sponsors!