iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Nice Sticks

Started by Ken, December 12, 2010, 08:36:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken

We don't often get an opportunity to cut timber like this.  We are clearing nearly 20 acres to allow access to the aggregate underneath.  There is approximately 150 Mfbm of Pine on the job as well as some hardwood, spruce and poplar.  Some of the Pine have had 4 logs 16' with an additional short log at the top.  Makes for a fun day. 

Cheers
Ken
Lots of toys for working in the bush

thecfarm

Nice. Any pictures of the equipment getting the logs out?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

treefarmer87

1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

SwampDonkey

Yes, there seem to be more pine south of here. Ours are mostly loaners, an old bruiser out in a stand by itself. Most of the time left behind. Is the price decent on pine now?

I just picked up Kent's flyer for this week. 2x6" maple, clear, 8', kilned, planed, $128 a piece. :D :D :D :D Promptly placed the flyer in the burn box.

I could buy 50 feet of rough, kilned, for that at Maritime lumber. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Autocar

Nice logs ,nothing like cutting or seeing them layed out on the landing.
Bill

Ken

The price for the highest grade delivered to JDI in Doaktown from that area is about $400/mfbm.  The other grades are worth $352, $234 and $146/mfbm respectively.  I will know more tomorrow about the scale as we are sending 4 trailerloads in the morning.  By my calculation the vast majority of the material should be scaled at the top 2 grades.  I will be pretty disappointed if it is any different.   Unfortunately the Irving mill is pretty much the only game in town for this product. 

I will try to get some pics of the loaded trucks in the morning as well as some pics of the skidders being used. 

Ken

Ken

We have managed to send 6 trailerloads over the past few days with another 2-3 on the landing.  They have averaged over 8000 bd ft with over 50% being at the top grade and the next 20% being at the next grade.  The skidder in the pics belongs to my dad.  It is a early 70's 230.  My 1981 225 Jack is not shown.  

treefarmer87

1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

SwampDonkey

Nice wood to. Maybe Irving is getting along a little easier now that they (government) are going to study wood supply again. I guess your getting more than some mills in the states are paying right now. Still seems like we should get more for those nice sticks.

I wonder how many reports this makes sitting in the Harriet Irving Library. ;)

Glad to see your still chugging along.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dave Shepard

Those sure are some nice sticks. I could use a lot of that primo pine down here. How many postage stamps do you think it'd take to get it here? :D A friend is on a 500mbf job now, but very little is that nice. :-\
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

customdave

Them are sure purty logs alright, kinda makes a fellas mouth water! :( Thanks for the pics..   

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

SwampDonkey

Also guys, we use NB log scale here which yields better than scales you folks use in the south. Them loads might only scale out to 6800 bf down south. Plus they are pine which don't taper as fast as HWD.

snowstorm

is the nb rule close to the bangor rule?

northwoods1

That is some nice wood your cutting there, and 8000' loads? That is a lot of wood :o I don't think I have ever had a load that big in my entire life :D how much does a load like that weigh#?
I like the way that skidder looks all polished up from use it looks quite happy :)

SwampDonkey

barbender

Nice looking loads whatever the case ;) How does the NB and Bangor scale compare to scales we are familiar with in the rest of the world? :)
Too many irons in the fire

SwampDonkey

Well here's the scaling table below in a document. ;)

beenthere

Barbender
There is a good publication "A Collection of Log Rules" by Frank Freese.

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/FPLGTR/fplgtr01.pdf

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fplgtr/fplgtr01.pdf

I had this link but it is not working. I'll see if I can find out what is wrong.

Now it should work.  The graphs show a comparison with the International 1/4" rule (which is a pretty close calculation of what is in a log) to several other known rules floating around and used in different localities.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

NB rule:

12" top, 12 foot = 72 bf

Doyle = 48 bf

Scribner = 64 bf

International = 73 bf

Bangor = 78 bf

Most fellows around here prefer the Bangor scale if they have a choice. Some mills here did let you have Bangor scale if they had a mill in Maine as well as NB. Are many of you using International? Seems to me it's mostly Doyle.

Dave Shepard

Around here it's Int. 1/4", although I think you don't go far into New York and it's Doyle.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

SwampDonkey

Also to keep in mind, we have a scaler's licensing and Act up here. Anyone who markets wood through crown or a marketing board has to have a license if they scale, according to the Act. I don't know how hard they lean on private mill owners, portable and such. But, pretty sure if I was a mill , (small, private or otherwise) buying my wood supply through a marketing board they would be looking for a scaler's license. ;) If I was to go to a farmer and buy logs direct, probably not. I think it's just the contract holders. You could bet that farmer knows something about scale. ;)

Dave Shepard

I bought a small load of ewp a couple of months ago. Guy wanted to scale the butt end. :D We were able to come to an agreement about it in the end. :-X

snowstorm

the pine mill just down the road from here always was bangor rule now they international. most of mine goes to irving in dixfeild tho the other mill is only a mile away. he always tries to pack all he can 6800' on a triaxle truck is not unusual.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Dave Shepard on December 20, 2010, 05:16:37 PM
I bought a small load of ewp a couple of months ago. Guy wanted to scale the butt end. :D We were able to come to an agreement about it in the end. :-X

Don't blame him, I'd try it to. :D :D :D j/k

SwampDonkey

Seems to me if you have the experience behind you, many going through the ranger school course will pick up their licensing.

Thank You Sponsors!