iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

lumber bundled for winter

Started by coll64, December 11, 2010, 11:57:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coll64

Hi- Newbie question: I have a few stacks of green lumber delivered to my lot all boards stacked on top of each other and metal strapped.  I am a good distance away and with close to freezing temperatures; I dont think I will have time to properly stack & sticker .

Is it ok to dead stack for the winter?  What are my best options - Should I leave them as is and sticker a roof over it and wait for spring?  Or should I try to make best effort to loosen up boards, level out area and sticker properly.

Thanks for the help.

thecfarm

Welcome to the forum. You say freezing temps,will the temps be freezing all winter? I'm no expect when it comes to what you want,but from reading on here,I feel the stacks should be at least level. Takes alot of support to level out a pile too.Think foundation for a house. Someone will be along shortly that will really help you out.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

coll64

Thanks, Yep freezing all winter. zone 4/5.  I'm going to try to get up there this week to check out the support. bundles are about 4' high.  Ones not metal strapped so I'll see if I can part that one up to stick.

Den Socling

You're in the deep freeze.  ;) You probably have wooden ice cubes that wouldn't come apart for stickering anyway. The good news is that the wood will be unchanged when it does thaw. But when it does start to thaw, the metal bands could leave stains.

red oaks lumber

take the time now to do it right, if you are getting into the wood buisness the first disipline is doing things right  the first time. having said that  the wood if stickered will thaw out and start air drying yet this winter
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

coll64

Yep, I will be going to check it out this week.  Bringing along blocks, stickers, and an ice pick  :-\ .  Might have to chalk this one up as - don't get lumber delivered this time of year.  Sounds like, I won't lose too much leaving them as is if they are frozen together?  The only thing is the were dropped off on not too level ground.  If they were in my back yard I could probably devise something to free them up and have the time to do so.

Thank You Sponsors!