iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wide Slabber Attachment added to Brand X sawhead

Started by sgschwend, December 11, 2010, 10:43:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sgschwend

I have often had customer ask me to slab for them.  When I had the bandmill I could go to 30" which worked pretty good.  But now I have a swingmill and a slabber would be a nice addition.  

After the third request in one week I told the third guy I would have a slabber by December so bring your black walnut truck over.  He was happy to get it out of the back of his pickup, he had carried it from Central California to the PNW which is nearly 1000 miles.

The Lucas hub adapter matches my mill arbor, I needed to make a few adjustment to mount the 8" sawmill slabber.  I finished the installation today and found I needed to adjust the bar and then I cut three slabs from an old Alder log that had spalted.  The pictures shows the results, and the video is the first two cuts.

The power feed is a nice way to make slabs, I just need to calibrate my ear to the right sound.  I ended up running about 12' in 3-4 minutes.  

Sorry for the bouncy work, I was running the mill and taking videos at the same time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnmmSnn9knM

Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

fishpharmer

WOW!  Very nicely done.  Does Brand X sell a slabber attachment or is it a Lucas slabber that you adapted?  Thanks for the video, your always turn out nice.

Also, I was wondering if its the 60" or 72" bar?
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Magicman

James, I still think that Steve is having too much fun.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sgschwend

I did purchase a Lucas slabber for their 8" mill, which has a 72" bar.  The hub adapter fit, but I used my mandrel's bolts.

Fishpharmer, did you need to level your slabber bar?

The video is just Windows movie maker, it is very easy to use, you can import your videos and then set them on a play time line.  It is easy to remove pieces you don't need and then when the video is OK you can overlay an audio track (just talk while the video is playing the software records what you say). The software has been out then for Windows XP and beyond.
Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

weisyboy

looks good.

it would be hard to keep the it cutting at its fastest with the auto feed. unles you had some kind of pressure switch that kept an even pressure on it.

you should be able to cut those slabs in under 1 min once you get your chains right. and work out your feed.

i will have some vids after tomorrow of my Lucas slabbing some 5' wide logs if everything goes ok.
god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia
www.weisssawmilling.com.au
http://www.youtube.com/user/weisyboy?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000696669814&sk=photos

Meadows Miller

Gady Steve

You have got that mill running well with the addition of the dogs and the slabbing attachment it wont be long and you will have to add abit more labor to keep up with it  Mate  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8) 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

fishpharmer

Steve, the slabber bar was attached to a frame ready to go.  Similar to the frame in your pic.   Once attached I made sure it was parallel with the cutterhead frame, it was.  I did need to shim the drive sprocket with shims (thin washers), so chain would align with sprocket.  I had a problem with the sprocket holding nut coming off.  Now I use a nylock nut.

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: weisyboy on December 12, 2010, 06:41:13 AM
looks good.

it would be hard to keep the it cutting at its fastest with the auto feed. unles you had some kind of pressure switch that kept an even pressure on it.

you should be able to cut those slabs in under 1 min once you get your chains right. and work out your feed.

i will have some vids after tomorrow of my Lucas slabbing some 5' wide logs if everything goes ok.
Weisy are you using "hyper skip" chain which would have about 12-13 cutters  on each side?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

AvT

Hey Steve..The video is great! they say a picture is worth a thousand words,,,, welll a video would be 30,000 words per second then.  We should all make videos of our stuff in action and get you to narrate them.  I finally decided on taking the plunge and made a deposit on a band mill and bought a firewood processor last spring.  Once I get the bandmill sawing I will make a point of making some video.  I have played with window movie maker before and yes it is quite easy after the first one.  I would rather watch equipment working in real life than just looking at the promotional videos made by manufacturers.

cool stuff Steve, thanks
Andy
Wannabe sawyer, Cord King M1820 firewood processor Palax KS35 Ergo firewood Processor, 5403 John Deere, Bunch of other farm equipment,   LT70 Remote Woodmizer.  All good things but the best things in life are free.. If you don't believe me.. hold your breath for 2 minutes

sgschwend

I believe you are right about the cutting speed.  Manual will alway be faster than power feed on these size machines (this should be true for circular and bandsaw sawmill too).

I did have some force speed feedback at one time but took it off in favor of more effective speed control.

The power feed gives the operator a choice to do other work, which can often compensate for the difference.

While you are here can you tell me what the correct lube oil is.  The only thing I received with the slabber was a sticker saying, "use light engine oil".  Haven't a clue what that is!
Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

sigidi

Steve I used automatic transmission fluid or 20w50 on my slabber. I got the transmission fluid 'used' from a local workshop apparently it is much better than used engine oil
Always willing to help - Allan

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

weisyboy

use the cheapest oil you can buy.

not second hand oil if you want your bar to last, i buy 20 w 40 in 10l drums for $13.

bar oil is 4 times that price, i use that same oil in my chainsaws also.

i use either 3 skip or standard (no skip chain) depending on how hard the wood is.

the other problem you might encounter with the auto feed is forcing a blunt chain, witch even when done by hand just causes tapered slabs.

god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia

terrifictimbersllc

Since there is no oil pump in a slabber, just gravity, here where it is colder we would probably have to use much thinner oil which is probably still cheaper than bar oil.  I have 5 gal of left over tractor fluid.  I wonder if I could just thin it with a little diesel or kerosene?

weisyboy

i normaly have my oil feed at about 3/4 on. in the hot weather (like today) i had to have it less than 1/2 on.

dont know about when it gets really cold thow. you should just see a line of oil along the bar from the tip, not a puddle, and not dry.

Captain

I use 10w bar oil in the winter.  30w in summer.

Captain

sgschwend

Here is today's work.  A customer with a Black walnut trunk.

I did mix my oil, it was just too thick to get around the chain.  I would say that 5/2 skip chain sure slaps the log.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8SULhU-I3s
Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

sigidi

Always willing to help - Allan

fishpharmer

Looks great!  Another great Sgschwend video 8)   Your setup made fast work of the walnut.

weisyboy

looking good.

going to 3 skip chain will stop that wobble/jerk. otehr than that looks like you have it running pretty sweet.

terrifictimbersllc

Steve & Weisy... could you clarify......5/2 skip chain means what?  ......and 3 skip chain does that mean 3 cutters ground off between each cutter on each side?

Magicman

Looking good as usual Steve.  Congratulations on yet another success.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

redbeard

I had the opportunity to see Steve's mill in action was very impressed with the quality of cut, Also the automation features Steve added are smooth running and very powerful. Thanks Steve for letting me check it out!
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

weisyboy

with skip chin you have to always remove an odd number of teeth, and leave an even number. that is so the leading tooth is the oposite of the last eading tooth,

i use 3 skip, with is,

left cutter - right cutter - skip - skip - skip- right cutter - left cutter - skip - skip - skip - left - right- skip - skip - skip - and so on.

5 skip is

left - right - skip - skip -skip - skip -skip - right - left - skip - skip -skip - skip -skip - etc

if you were to take an even number of teeth off your leading cutters would be all the same and cause the chin to cut up or down,

left
, right, skip , skip, left, right, skip, skip, left, right, skip, skip, etc

thats the therey anyhow.

i buy standard chain and rind the cutters off with a angle grinder, and drop the depth guges right down.

terrifictimbersllc

Thanks Weisy, I hope to be slabbing like you with your camphor soon, even with a WPF  :o :o    You also mention getting the bar adjusted just right does this mean making sure it is parallel to the line of cut not tilted up or down?

Thank You Sponsors!