iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hydrauic log turner....Part 2

Started by gator gar, December 10, 2010, 11:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gator gar

Well, I took my mill out to Corrigan, Texas. That is where Boman1 works and he had the loader operator put a big log on my mill. When I say big, I mean BIG.  I was going to cut some 8X8s out of it and was hoping to see this log turner in action. Well, the turner did great. I was trying to cut an octagon out of the log, to get it cut down to size, so my head rig would go through it.

I would turn it and lay it back down to get a better bite. Well I guess I jammed it up on the two pulleys, that the cable goes thru for my manual turner somehow. I should have taken those off, so it would allow my new turner to open fully.

To make a long story short. The hudraulics handled that log like a dream. It took some getting used to, cause it had some knots on it and it wanted to pick the log up, insead of it rolling it. Well, I got jammed up as I said earlier and snatched the nuts off the two top bolts, that mounted my turner to the frame. It must have been in one heck of a bind.

I'll go back with some Grade 8 bolts, run a couple of short beads with a 5P plus, grind it out and hit it with a low hydrogen rod and dare it to pop off again.

I removed the two little silver pulley wheels and the bracket they were mounted on, so the turner can open un-interupted. Like I said, the hydraulics worked fine, the bracket that held them together is what came apart, from the frame.

bandmiller2

Gator,theirs always bugs in a new system and a learning curve for the operator.Theirs a corilation between in out up down to turn-em,I'am sure your curve will be short. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Meadows Miller

Gday

Gator these little oversights happen every now n then  when your adding your own extras to your machines  ;) :o :) ??? ::) :D :D ;) Its also good to see your still doing abit of work with Boman too  ;) stick with it Mate  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8) 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Magicman

Sometimes you have to move the turner claw out so that it catches the log where you want it to catch.

I use this.

And pull the claw out so that it catches and turns rather than lifting the log.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Meadows Miller

Gday

Magic I had a long piece of 2x1" hardwood to do that  ;)  :D ;D I like your thinkn  Mate  ;) ;D ;D 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Magicman

I let my off bearer do it for years with a stick, but they would not put it where I wanted.  That rope works.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

pineywoods

Magic, I had seen the rope trick, that's where I got the idea for the in-out hydraulic cylinder on my home-made system.

Gator, that's the first time I have heard of the attach bolts letting go. I busted several other pieces during the cut-and-try phase of development. I have learned that when the log just wants to rise rather than turn, to lift a little bit and then hit the out cylinder a tad.
As you get used to the turner, you probably will see small changes here and there to make it better for your use. That's one of the nice things about a home brew setup. Also why I was adamant about not welding anything to the mill frame.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Magicman

Quote from: pineywoods on December 11, 2010, 10:01:50 AMMagic, I had seen the rope trick, that's where I got the idea for the in-out hydraulic cylinder on my home-made system.

I didn't catch that on your version.   :-[ :-[   I should have known better.   ;) ;)

gator gar

Quote from: Magicman on December 11, 2010, 11:41:59 AM
Quote from: pineywoods on December 11, 2010, 10:01:50 AMMagic, I had seen the rope trick, that's where I got the idea for the in-out hydraulic cylinder on my home-made system.

I didn't catch that on your version.   :-[ :-[   I should have known better.   ;) ;)

I'll take some pics in a minute or two and post them so you will see what I was up against. Pineywood is right. That in and out on the turner will reach way out there, you don't need a rope for sure. Mine was reaching too far out and binding the old piece used for the manual turner.

Thank You Sponsors!