iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

16 X 24 King Post Cabin

Started by mmhailey, December 10, 2010, 10:14:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmhailey

Things are pretty slow here on the forum, so I think I will jump in and give an update on my current project.

I have been busy ( well at least semi busy)  :D the last couple of months taking what I have learned so far from everyone's help here and applying it.  I have the major pieces cut now, and the remainder is braces, purlins, and two ridge beams. Everything is Alaskan Yellow Cedar.

Here is the 3 King Posts :

The roof is a 9:12 pitch and the King Posts, are 6' from the top of the tie beam to the peak.

Here are the tie beams which are 16' .

Here you can see the Birdsmouth for the rafter.

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and turn him into a liar.

Magicman

Measure twice, cut once.  Looks very nice.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

laffs

nice work
thank you for steering me away from my boredom
timber harvester,tinberjack230,34hp kubota,job ace excavator carpenter tools up the yingyang,

laffs

I like your saw horses in your blog whats the rough dimensions of them? are they good and sturdy? I wanted to make a set but wasn't sure which way I should build mine. so I opted for just using crib work when I was working on my post & beams. like your mortiser too I have the same thing. saves a ton of time, well worth the coin.
timber harvester,tinberjack230,34hp kubota,job ace excavator carpenter tools up the yingyang,

fishpharmer

I too like those saw horses in your blog, nicely done. 
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

mmhailey

I built the two yellow cedar saw horses out of 6X6's and then  8X8  for the bottom feet. You can probably see that I have several other types. I mostly used cribbing and saw ponies this time. Overall I think I didn't make the saw ponies tall enough. I find my back hurts from bending over. I used scrap 2X12 to make the ponies, and before I start on the braces, and purlins I think I will redo them, and add 3-4 inches of height.

The horses I built are sturdy to say the least... If you can see them over to the side I have 6 posts and 4 girts, along with other assorted junk sitting on them. I made them tall to fit my height 6'6". However they are not wide enough to work comfortably on 4 8X8 timbers at the same time. Although if you are working on an 8X8 and you need to get up on it as when you are using a boring machine, they are too high.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and turn him into a liar.

Stephen1

Nice work, looks warm in the shop, not like PP your neighbor.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Tim L

Wow, I wish I had the skill to do that.
Do the best you can and don't look back

Thank You Sponsors!