iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

swamp cutting

Started by treefarmer87, December 10, 2010, 05:56:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

treefarmer87

i just got off the phone with a man who wants to start another crew. he needs a tracked cutter man. anyone ever run a tracked feller in swamps? any tips or info will be really helpful.
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Buck

Excavators yes fellers no but use your common sense. Keep a mat ahead of you to keep it above ground. Research shovel logging.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

jim king

Here we consider swamps  out of the question as high ground can turn into a swamp in minetes and the belly of the skidder is dragging.  I hope you post photos when you get going, I have never seen a tracked skidder.

northwoods1

Jim I have seen tracked skidders before there is usually one of these FMC units sitting around at one of the local equipment dealers. I found this you tube video of one at work, wow it is nothing like I have ever done or seen :o he must be working the river bottoms right near the Mississippi. Looks like he could skid a lot with that thing w/ the dual acting arch he can really get the ## forward.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsW7pRq38MQ&feature=related

treefarmer87

ill make sure to post photos if the guy starts another crew. those FMCs are expensive
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

pineywoods

Back in the early 50's there was a local company that made a set of boggie wheels and metal tracks that bolted on a standard ford farm tractor.. They wouldn't pull the load that beast would, only 40 hp. But they would go places where a man couldn't walk and pull 1 or 2 logs along with them. Lots of places like the video here in the deep south.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

tyb525

Gotta look at those spiral drive thingamajigs too!
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

isawlogs

Quote from: pineywoods on December 11, 2010, 11:26:01 PM
Back in the early 50's there was a local company that made a set of boggie wheels and metal tracks that bolted on a standard ford farm tractor.. They wouldn't pull the load that beast would, only 40 hp. But they would go places where a man couldn't walk and pull 1 or 2 logs along with them. Lots of places like the video here in the deep south.

They where also made for the Ferguson tractor back then, my dad had them on in 1954-55 for winter hauling across the lakes, they had ordered a canvas cab for the tractor at the same time , the cab arrived in the spring  ::)  Dad said he would put the tractor in first gear going across the lakes and jump off and run along side of it to stay warm.  I will try and find the pics of that winter when I gete back to my dads.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Doc Hickory

Interesting rig...also looks like the choker setter would have to wear a wet suit...yikes!
Feed a fire, starve a termite...

Thank You Sponsors!