iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Skid Steer Mounted Wood Splitter

Started by campy, December 09, 2010, 12:55:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

campy

Greetings and happy holidays.
I am taking delivery, for free, of a lot of big logs that nobody wants for lumber.
Mostly Oak from 26 to 36" diameter.

I have a JD 320D skid steer, about 60HP,  with a hydrawlic coupling.

Does someone know of a good Skid Steer Mounted Wood Splitter?

What I would like to do is lift the logs with the fork and saw them into sections.
Then change implements and drive up to each log and split it.

Maybe this  ideas has problems assiated with it so please enlighten me if needed.

This video got me thinking:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LqJ_63Y348

Thanks

beenthere

There are a number of such splitters around, and some are seen on the YouTube site you linked.

Seems a real good way to get the large diam. logs split to smaller size either for seasoning or for further hand splitting/handling.

Some shown are extremely slow. Considering the value of the split wood and the time/machine investment, might not be a profitable return on the investment. An occasional use for a large log wouldn't seem to be a good idea.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

badpenny

Use google to find skidsteersolutions, they have a few versions listed, one I have seen locally  looks like an upside down splitter, with wedge and hyd cyl below the I beam, mounted to a skid steer plate and run by aux skid steer hyd's.
Hope and Change, my foot,  It's time for Action and Results!

beenthere

Quote from: badpenny on December 09, 2010, 03:00:08 PM
   Use google to find skidsteersolutions, they have a few versions listed, one I have seen locally  looks like an upside down splitter, with wedge and hyd cyl below the I beam, mounted to a skid steer plate and run by aux skid steer hyd's.

I think most of them do it that way - upside down, etc. (like in the linked video).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ely

i would not run my bobcat to split firewood anymore than i would run one off the back of my farm tractor. i just cant see the profit in that action. i have 13k invested in my bobcat. we have a 20 ton splitter that cost 400 bucks.

Weekend_Sawyer

I have seen the inverted skid steer splitter and think it's a neat idea.
The biggest problem I see is that you take the machine to the log and have to jockey it back and forth to get to the split parts to split them again. On pavement this just wears on the tires a little but on dirt that thing will make a mess out of your yard. Skid steers are not easy on lawn or gravel drives anyway every time I use mine to load logs and move slabs, at the end of the day I drop the grappel and put on the bucket and back drag my milling area.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

northwoods1

Quote from: ely on December 09, 2010, 05:15:35 PM
i would not run my bobcat to split firewood anymore than i would run one off the back of my farm tractor. i just cant see the profit in that action. i have 13k invested in my bobcat. we have a 20 ton splitter that cost 400 bucks.

don't you use the bobcat to bring the wood to the splitter?? I don't know just a machine like a tractor turning at very low rpm wouldn't seem like any serious wear.

rs1626

I built my own I took a old splitter that somebody gave me turned it upside down welded on a mounting plate put 2 hyd. lines with couplers it works pretty good only thing i might change is it has a 4" cyl.  a 5" would probably work much better sometimes it won't split in center you have to work around edges

AvT

Hi campy, well you know you have to invest in this thing for a bout $100,000.00:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQjR0wypHGU

And then spend another $50,000 or so and another processor to finish the job.  I think up here where I live it would probably be worth it because oak firewood would sell for a fortune as we have nothing like that here.  Good luck in your search for a solution.
Wannabe sawyer, Cord King M1820 firewood processor Palax KS35 Ergo firewood Processor, 5403 John Deere, Bunch of other farm equipment,   LT70 Remote Woodmizer.  All good things but the best things in life are free.. If you don't believe me.. hold your breath for 2 minutes

barbender

I think it would work really well for handling and splitting the big rounds, wether it would be worth it or not I couldn't say ::)
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!