iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

broken band teeth

Started by bandmiller2, December 08, 2010, 09:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

How many broken tips in a row before you junk a band?? please give your thoughts. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Tom

Three in a row can be used if you have some rough sawing to do.  If you've lost 4 or more in a row, It's my opinion that you should junk the band.  The reason is that the gap of missing teeth is too tough on the guides. They get hammered every time the gap passes through the cant.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

paul case

half is too many.

i hit some serious metal with that dand0. the next pic is what it oughta look like.

pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Banjo picker

I hit a sheetrock screw and knocked off 26 I think...sharpened it  and cut ties with it..Had to go slower....I didn't think about what Tom said about the beating the roller guides took...Oh well it survivied... :(  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Chuck White

I don't know as I've ever broken a band tooth, but I've bent and rounded enough of them to where the band was declared scrap metal!

I set my bands at .025 +/-.001!  Probably if they were set at .030, they'd be more likely to crack and break.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Tom

I ended up junking this one.

terrifictimbersllc

How'd you do that? Aren't you supposed to be looking in the general direction of the blade, hands on the machine, and the radio turned down just enough so you can still hear the mill a little?   :D :D :D
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

terrifictimbersllc

If most of such a blade is an easy resharp, but a only a few teeth are missing (I'd draw the line at about 5), I view the blade as of no value, but still sharpen and keep it on the side to offer the customer after we hit metal and he wants to make some suspect cuts.  Then if it's trashed I might only charge him about $10 sometimes less , just the value of a sharpening. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

laffs

i had one that had 6 knocked off had it sharpened and i couldnt tell the difference when i got it back.
i  got 2 with 26 teeth knocked off and the guy said he could file them so i may give thata shot
timber harvester,tinberjack230,34hp kubota,job ace excavator carpenter tools up the yingyang,

barbender

Tom could've revived that blade :D
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!