iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

cheap blade lube tanks

Started by bushhog920, December 08, 2010, 08:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bushhog920

I had to buy a 5 gal water tank from granger for $50 and norwood was about the same, found the same tank at us plastic for $14. http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=22677&catid=816  with this cold weather I know a few of ya'll will be in the market for one. I use winshild washer fluid or alcohol to keep mine from freezeing what else do ya'll use?

Tom

That white plastic deteriorates quickly from UV.  I think that the best tanks are made from old gasoline "cans".  The plastic is tough, not affected by UV so bad and light can't get into there and cause algae build-up.

If you can find one that has an air hole in the back, you can stick a metal tube in there and put a plastic tube on it.  fill the "can" and lay it on its back with the air hole pointed down.  That way, you can take the "can" off to refill it, or just take the cap off pour some water in the big hole, which should be pointing up.

If the weather isn't too cold, most anything will lower the freezing point of the water in the "can".  But, the good thing is that if it is easy enough to fill, you just take the thing down between sawing sessions and empty it until the next day.

Banjo picker

At this point in time I am using straight H20...no soap no pine sol ..straight water....When I am through for the day I open up the valves and let the tank drain...I tried the dish washing soap that a lot of you use to cut the pitch...an on my machine that has two drips that go through an inline (fuel) filter... the soap stops the little suckers up pretty quick....So I just started turning up the water a little more and stoped the additives....The diesel worked the best , but even with a few drips a min...at over three doll hairs a gal...no way ;)    The tank on the 36 in built into the frame work...If I don't let it bust I won't need the plastic...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

paul case

i would forget to drain the sucker right off the bat so a lil diesel is cheaper than replacing tanks and valves for me. i bet i dont leak 1/2 gallon for 3k ft. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

pineywoods

Even cheaper, how about free ?? Check the garbage at most restraunts . The buy dish washing soap in square 5 gallon plastic jugs. Some places get veggie oil in similar jugs.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Hilltop366

I used a metal tire valve for an outlet on my csm oil tank, that way you can use any can you want (I used a plastic gas can)... just drill a hole in it.

Also for the gas can I used a regular gas can and drilled a hole in the spout cover a bit smaller than the gas line then stuck the line through the hole. then when run out of gas I just have to remove the cover and swap in the next tank, no pouring, spilling. This only works if your motor has a fuel pump.

ohsoloco

Quote from: Tom on December 08, 2010, 09:19:03 PM
That white plastic deteriorates quickly from UV. 

I keep the sawhead on my Norwood covered when I'm not using it.  I'm still on the same water jug that came with the mill over nine years ago.  The only thing I've had to replace is the spigot...I snagged it and finally broke it off when I'd remove the tank for refilling. 

Magicman

I always cover both the Diesel and the water tank when the mill is not in use.  You take care of the mill, and the mill will take care of you.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Tom

I used to mostly use my mill in the daytime, when the sun was up.   There's a lot of UV floating around out there then. :D

Magicman

:D :D  Yup, but you didn't and I don't saw every day.   :D :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DanG

Ol' Tom sawed every day for a lot of years. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

papow22

Quote from: pineywoods on December 09, 2010, 09:36:03 AM
Even cheaper, how about free ?? Check the garbage at most restraunts . The buy dish washing soap in square 5 gallon plastic jugs. Some places get veggie oil in similar jug.

This one seems to be thee best :D
Lives to do sawdust,run a trapline,hunt big game,live life to it's most.Got 4 mills a circle mill,(2 band sawmills) Norwood's 2000, Trim Saw,Beam Machine (chainsaw mill).

Magicman

Quote from: DanG on December 09, 2010, 04:14:39 PMOl' Tom sawed every day for a lot of years. ;) 

:D :D  Yup, and a year has 365 days.   :) :)  If you saw every day, then when do you fish  ???

Tom

A lot less than one would like.  :)

ohsoloco

Quote from: papow22 on December 09, 2010, 04:43:40 PM
Quote from: pineywoods on December 09, 2010, 09:36:03 AM
Even cheaper, how about free ?? Check the garbage at most restraunts . The buy dish washing soap in square 5 gallon plastic jugs. Some places get veggie oil in similar jug.

This one seems to be thee best :D

Those veggie oil jugs are pretty flimsy, but the price is right and replacements would be easily had  :)

fstedy

Best can I found is the heavy plastic jugs that liquid chlorine for pools comes in it cost $5 deposit at the pool store. Wall is thick enough to drill and use a pipe tap to put a valve on it.
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

ladylake

Right veggie oil jugs are flimsy, chemicals jugs are tough found at smaller dairy farms, maybe car washes.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Peter Drouin

When I nead one ill call WM they will send me one, they keep me working ill keep them working .made in the USA pete. ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

scrout

I use a camping water container, blue, 7 gallon.  About $15.
I just stuck some foam rubber tubing into the valve, and they my 3/8 tubing into that.

http://www.nextag.com/camping-water-container/shop-html

schmism

if you had the space.... why not a reg 5 gal bucket with lid?
039 Stihl 010AV  NH TC33D FEL, with toys

chet

This is what I did.  :)  Easy modification, cheap and has worked great.  8)

I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

hobbytrucker1966

on my chainsaw mill i use waste deep fryer oil thats canola i guess to lube my chain and i use a old lawn mower gas tank with a shutoff to regulate the flow (the smell of french fries makes me hungry though) :D
fourth generation sawyer with all my fingers

Doc Hickory

Man, I hate to be a spoilsport here, but using cooking oil as chain lube is a recipe (no pun intended) for disaster. Cooking oil isn't heavy enough and will cause excessive wear on chain, bar, and sprocket. There is a reason that chain lube runs slow like chilled honey-it needs to be thick to provide that lubrication.
I do like the Igloo cooler mod, that one rocks! Almost any metal container that isn't flimsy can be drilled and a tire valve stem inserted in the hole. Screw out the core, hook up your tubing (with petcock in line), and you're off to the races!
Feed a fire, starve a termite...

Typhoon

Thanks so much for the info on the U.S. Plastic's jug. I have a Lumbermate2000 and you just saved me about 35.00! :)
Brad Dawson, Anna IL (Southern tip)
Husky 346xpNE, Husky 357XP, Norwood Lumbermate2000

DextorDee

Pump up garden sprayer. Worked for me.

Ken
KI4BMW
North East Georgia

Thank You Sponsors!