iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Air filter for 353 Detroit

Started by New Brunswick, December 08, 2010, 10:00:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

New Brunswick

Hi guys,

Just bought a 74 tree farmer with a 353 Detroit and looking for proper air filter.
I have been to local parts store and they brought me one in according to what is supposed to take according to their parts book, but is only half as long as the one I took out of it.

I have the old skidder in the shop and am tearing it down and replace what needs to be fixed as all linkages and other things are very sloppy and a small job to oversize and replace pins. I have it now so you can see the engine and pans and all along the inside of the frame again..5 gallons of var sol and a couple of long evenings later. Could not believe how bad the inside of the air canister was plugged, she has not breathed that well for sometime. Machine has not been used in a few years, and I was told engine had recently been done before previous owner passed away.

After we got her some power to the starter she fired right up and sounded good, the winch free wheeled and seemed to work well and appears OK, tranny seemed fine, needs a few hoses replaced, the 2 side rollers at the back of skidder has not worked in a very long time as the bearings that were supposed to be there were long gone and the inside shafts were wore badly.

Well any advice would be appreciated, this is my first skidder and so far have enjoyed the challenge of getting her back into shape. I will post some pics soon of my progress so far. Did these machines come the color yellow or green?
Thanks guys

Joe

northwoods1

I think they were a green color at least that is what mine was I think it was about a 74'. If you take your air cleaner in to a parts store and can't find a correct cross reference sometimes you can just start pulling filters off the shelf and you might find one that fits. Another thing is that if your filter is not to bad you can wash it out with water pressure from the inside of the filter and let it dry real good. My owners manual for one of my machines recommends that, with the price those filters go for it makes sense to do it.

Skiddah

According to my Detroit Diesel V-53 parts catalog, the part number for the Breather Filter Unit on the 3-53 and the 4-53 is 5190344.  Some helpful referencing according to Detroit Diesel's book is that the filter is in group 4.0000 - Lubricating System.  Subgroup is 4.8000A - Ventilating System and the final group location is 4.8060 - Filter Unit, Breather.   Hope this helps you find the part you need.  Should you need more parts, send me a message and I can hit the books again too for you when I get the opportunity.

As far as I can gather color wise, Tree Farmer's started out green in the 60's and 70's and then moved to the yellow color in the mid 80's, maybe when they introduced the Deutz in the line?

sealark37

Measure the canister, then go online to Wix or to a Wix dealer to find one to fit.  A plugged filter is death on a woods machine.  Regards, Clark

treefarmer87

napa should be able to get it for u. my c5 is yellow, but the correct color is like a lime green i believe.
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

SwampDonkey

Our CanCar Tree Farmer was yellow, gasoline engine. I don't know anything else about it, I never worked on it, repair-wise. Dad got it second hand and used it 25 years.

I see a green one working not far from here in Williamstown.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Mark K

Skiddah- I think the part number you have listed is the mesh that goes in the breather tube for the crankcase breather. I would take the old one and match it up. They used many different set-ups for air cleaners, oil filters, and fuel filters. My TJ runs a 353 and my filters are completely different numbers than my friends TJ running a 353.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

timbuck2

Davco in Farmington Maine, best Tree Farmer know-how on the planet.

Ed_K

hastings AF130k
that what I use in my 4-53
Ed K

New Brunswick

Ok I have new filter and ended up just measuring it up and finding it that way. On any of your machines where air filter cover is screwed in is there an extra rubber seal between the cover and end of air filter? The old one I took out had what seemed to be a circle cut from an inner tube along with a few wraps of electrical tape holding it there, I am assuming it may have been sucking some air in there and that was put in there to stop the draft??? I am wondering how far the air filter is from the cover where you install it, is it right up tight to cover or is it down in the canister a bit?

ga jones

That filter should not have any gap between the to ends . you may have to seal it with some silicone if the filter is the wrong one for the canister. You might have to change the canister if you have to Some of the old detroits came with an oil bath setup. If the engine came from somthing else. My 1968 c4 has a canister from an old mack truck. my collor is yellow.Davco can tell you what ever you want to know about that machine.I has a parts manual for mine but the manual is for the gas engine.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

Thank You Sponsors!