iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Question about storage of a chainsaw

Started by Viking, November 25, 2003, 09:25:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

I've got a 1980 Husky 162, apparently its leaking fuel. I'm not sure from where, but I just noticed it today. So I'm not going to be able to store it in my house anymore and I don't have any heated storage outside. It's going to have tostay outside in my mobile garage "with the wood" untill I can fix the leak. I was just wondering is the cold weather going to effect the saw anyhow ? it gets to be about -55, give or take a few degrees "Celsius of course".

Kevin

slowzuki

I've never stored any 2 stroke engines inside?  They always start better than the 4 stokes in the cold anyways.  For example, my snowmobile is always outdoors.

I dunno, let it warm up a bit longer before using it?

Viking

sounds good to me, but still ive gotta get a new gasket. i left it outside anyways last night and it started on the 3rd pull this morning "forgot to put the choke on " i let it idle for about 5 mins while i did something else, then came back and used it for 5 mins, then shut it off.

Gus

It won't hurt it to stay outside. My dad always used to leave his saw in the woods with some pine limbs lying on it to cover it. The only thing that ever found it was porcupines. They love to chew the covering off the handles. The salt I suppose.
Gus
"How do I know what I think unless I have seen what I say?"

SasquatchMan

Senior Member?  That's funny.

Viking

northern ontario, but it dosent get to those temps untill January :)

carhartted

Not until January  :o, it was -40 here just last week. Fahrenheit of course.

Jonathan
Fairbanks, AK

BTW I just thought of something, is not -40 the same temp in both Celcius and Fahrenheit?
Here's to making sawdust.

Viking

SasquatchMan

???

-40 C and - 40 F are the same.  9/5 + 32 for conversion.
(Double it and add thirty for the Bob and Doug Mackenzie conversion)

Either way, - 40 is silly bloody cold.  Needa lotta whiskey for walking the dog at minus 40.

I'm in central alberta - not as cold as northern ont mostly, but we get our share of prairie winds that make your face hard in 10 seconds.
Senior Member?  That's funny.

Mark M

That's the nice thing about -40, you don't have to specify F or C. By the way the C is for Canadian.  ;)

Coldest official temp I ever saw here is Bismarck was -47. It didn't go well with a 30 mph wind. :o

carhartted

The good thing is when it gets really cold (-40) around here the wind does not usually blow.  It is also very dry, so it does not feel as cold as it is.  I really like it around zero, I could work outside all day quite comfortably.

Jonathan
Fairbanks, AK
Here's to making sawdust.

Stan

The best thing about -40 is your exposed skin can't tell if it gets any colder.  8)
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

jimbo

nope the best thing about -40 is that its up their not down south  lol

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

If I punched the right numbers,  -40 Celcius/Centigrade really is  equal to -40 deg.  Farenheit.  That is the only point on the entire scale where they are the same! Woulda' never thunk it!  The freezing  point of water is 32 in F and zero in C, then you have the 9/5 ratio or the 5/9 ratio.   ???
Oh, heck,  FORGET IT!:P  >:(

Man! Am I glad that the "Georgia" I live in never sees those numbers. :D
Phil L.      (Where turkeys never get frostbite!) ;)
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

Viking

here is a picture

, as you can see where i pour the gas in " on the right side, and then you see where the red arrow points thats where the fuel is leaking from, I have no idea why its leaking there, i dont see any cracks. do any of you's have an idea why it would be leaking there ?

Kevin

You might want to strip it down a bit and see where the fuel is coming from.
Could be running from the far end or it might be a bad gasket or seal.

Viking

sounds like a small project to do tomorrow

HARD_WATER

you are not over filling the gas tank are you :)and i never bring my saw in side might get water in the gas tank..
HARD_WATER

Viking

nope, i always leave a little space so when the cap goes in cas dosent spill out.

Minnesota_boy

Check for a cracked vent tube near the carburetor.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

HARD_WATER

when you fill the gas tank does it leak or just when you run it ??take the rewind off and see where the gas is coming from..it might be a small crack in the gas tank or the gas line needs to be replaced..how long have you had this saw??
HARD_WATER

Viking

Quotewhen you fill the gas tank does it leak or just when you run it ??take the rewind off and see where the gas is coming from..it might be a small crack in the gas tank or the gas line needs to be replaced..how long have you had this saw??

I was recently given this saw, but I have used it before and have never had a fuel leakage problem. and I found the problem, it seems to be a crack on the bottom of the saw, right along the mould line :/ it's gonna be a tricky one to fix, but I have something in mind, either grind it down a bit so its clean, then weld a line across, or grind it so its clean and use some liquid metal on it.

jokers

Hey Viking
That is going to be a tough fix. I wouldn`t let anyone but an extremely good TIG weldor try to weld it. Another approach is to lightly grind the crack open just wide enough to be able to fill it with JB Weld or Devcon, you want to have to force the mix into the crack.Grind it in such a manner as to leave some roughness for the epoxy to hold on to also. You might consider drilling stopper holes at each end of the crack to prevent the crack from growing. Clean the surrounding metal, inside and out with carb cleaner to remove all oil, and force the epoxy in. When it sets, it should not leak anymore. Don`t fortget to flush the tank before trying to run the saw.

Bodvar Bjarki

Viking

thanks for the reply, i will go the way that has no heat :)

Thank You Sponsors!