iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

American Forest Foundation response to LEED certification vote

Started by Tom, December 07, 2010, 07:42:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Statement from Tom Martin, President and CEO,  (link)
in Response to:

LEED Vote on Forest Certification Benchmarks

and Revisions to the Certified Wood Credit

JDeere

Tom,  I attempted to access the link you provided a couple times and it doesn't seem to work. It could be just on my end-not sure.
2013 Western Star, 2012 Pelletier trailer, Serco 7500 crane, 2007 Volvo EC 140, 2009 John Deere 6115D, 2002 Cat 938G, 1997 John Deere 540G, 1996 Cat D-3C, 1995 Cat 416B, 2013 Cat 305.5E

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Tom

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Gary_C

I don't know what's next for this, but my vote would be to throw out the LEED Standards altogether. 
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

John Mc

The letter is not to clear on exactly it was that the USGBC did. Can somebody fill me in on the background, or point me to a link?

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Tom

John,
The arguments about Forest Certification are long running.  This is one instance of many and the Certifiers continue to make inroads without listening to passionate opposition or pleas for change.

You can read a little about the current effort at finding out what is going on by reading the thread at: https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,44747.0.html in the Forestry Education topic.

The letter to which you refer is an example of the Frustration that is felt.

Your position of asking what the letter is all about, is exactly the reason that the subject has been broached on many occasions.  Nobody will talk about it.  I think, for fear of educated opposition.  We aren't being asked whether it is something we want, nor told what it is, but rather expected to just accept the decisions of the powers-that-be. 

Certification runs the gamut from the kyota Protocol (treaty) to Individual tree farms to building products. Have you wondered why you have to have a certain organizations ink stamp on a piece of your wood before being allowed to put it in your house?  It's because a third party decided that they, not you, were the only ones qualified to identify it as a "good" piece of wood.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!