iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cummins High Speed Idle ?

Started by Autocar, December 07, 2010, 06:35:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autocar

Cummins High Speed Idel dose anyone understand how it works ? It looks to me it speeds up by a 12 volt cellinoide  that some how pushes more diesel into the injector pump. I flip the switch in the cab and it speeds up but when I flip it off the idel stays the same. Seems like the cold weather has effected it more. Thanks Bill
Bill

Bobus2003

I'm guessing this is on a '94-98.5 5.9l 12v or is it on a 3.9l 4BT? Yes it's just a Solinoid on the injector pump, when it engages it s the same effect as you pushing in on the throttle a bit.. only it does it in a "regulated" way. If your using the Factory cold idle solenoid.. it may be Keeping power from the truck.. The engine may be still giving it the "go" to keep high idle on. If the If the Coolant or the AIT sensors are reading "cold" they will be trying to engage the cold idle.. I used to had this issue with my '94 7.3l Ford, until i un-hooked all the factory wiring from the cold-idle solinoid and and ran new wire to a switch in cab

northwoods1

This tsb talks about how the high speed idle works maybe it might answer your questions:

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2001/18-019-01.htm

If you ever need answers about cummins this is the best place to find them:

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/forums/

barbender

My '97 dodge cummins doesn't have a high idle, what years did? One night I was picking up a load of wood and the logger had just fired up his newer dodge cummins for it to warm up. It was running a fast idle, so I asked him if that worked through the cruise control or a switch, etc. He opened the door and showed me the stick he had wedged in the throttle ::) So I am interested to see if there is a factory solution, I always lose my stick :)
Too many irons in the fire

Autocar

This Idel Govenor is a model TR1001 this afternoon I tore it apart on the end that has the 12 volt coil theres a diaphram, on the other end some kind of spring loaded slide bar that lets fuel though. Any ways I put it back togather now it rev's up and down like a govenor that dosen't have enough tension. This is on a 300 Cummins theres three fuel lines that seem like there on the return side and one coming from the injector pump. Thanks Bill
Bill

Dave Shepard

I've never heard of this before on the Dodge trucks, and I've been around a lot of 24 valves. ??? I can't help you on the 300, sorry.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

barbender

Is it only on automatic transmission models maybe?

northwoods1

Quote from: barbender on December 08, 2010, 11:09:05 AM
My '97 dodge cummins doesn't have a high idle, what years did? One night I was picking up a load of wood and the logger had just fired up his newer dodge cummins for it to warm up. It was running a fast idle, so I asked him if that worked through the cruise control or a switch, etc. He opened the door and showed me the stick he had wedged in the throttle ::) So I am interested to see if there is a factory solution, I always lose my stick :)

I put a hand throttle on my truck it is the kind you can pull out or push in or just turn it for fine adjust. I find you really need one on the cummins engines or some type of fast idle arrangement because they are so cold blooded, if you just let them sit and idle normally in the cold it is not good for them they will not heat up even with a winter front on. I'll even partially block my radiator beginning this time of year (in addition tot he winter front) so it heats up to operating temps and will stay there. The hand throttle is nice when I get to work I have hot water couplers I connect my truck to the equipment and warm them up before starting the increased rpms make it happen fast.

The dodge trucks apparently do have the fast idle if I'm not mistaken the later 2nd generations and the 3rds. That is what the tsb I posted above says. Sounds like autocar is not talking about a light truck engine the 300 must be a medium or heavy duty engine. I'm not at all familiar with how that is set up, but the dodge cummins light truck engines now that is something I have messed around with a lot also, almost 500,000 miles on mine now :D

snowstorm

Quote from: Autocar on December 07, 2010, 06:35:51 PM
Cummins High Speed Idel dose anyone understand how it works ? It looks to me it speeds up by a 12 volt cellinoide  that some how pushes more diesel into the injector pump. I flip the switch in the cab and it speeds up but when I flip it off the idel stays the same. Seems like the cold weather has effected it more. Thanks Bill
what engine is it??? whats it in? are we talking 5.9?    L10    n14  pt pump? need a little more imfo

barbender

I thought he meant a 300 horsepower 5.9, Autocar, you need to clarify for us ??? I've thought about putting a hand throttle on mine too, I've just never gotten around to it. I'll probably get some quick couplers, too, if I ever get into cutting wood more than I do now. I saw on another thread in the sawmill section someone was talking about a dodge cummins high idle solenoid too, it piqued my curiosity.

Autocar

It's on a 1989 Autocar tri axle with a 8 LL transmission Iam starting to get some time so maybe this coming week I can figure it out. Thanks for all the replys
Bill

snowstorm

sorta need to know what motor it is. a n14 or 855 will have 3 heads L10 only 1 in that era will have a pt injection pump means pressure timed. dose this only raise engine speed to run the loader? i would say call the local cummins dealer sometimes they are quite helpful.

Autocar

Snowman it's NTC300 and it picks up the idel to run the loader
Bill

snowstorm

ok so its a 855 pt pump or big block it did work ok? mine has the limiting speed govonor as most did not sure just what was changed to make them a varable speed gov.

Autocar

Snowstorm this govenor is mounted on a bracket off the block it is 3inches long and1 1/2 inch thick and probably 2 inches high.
Bill

snowstorm

is it air operated? or powered? when it worked would it hold a sready rpm while loading wood? woundering if this is an add on and not a cummins part. the old 92 series detriot used a air gov. worked ok and much cheaper than a varerable speed gov. i have an olddddd cummins book ill look

Autocar

Snowstorm it is powered by fuel , it looks to me like three lines on the return line and one from the injector pump. And I would agree that it is a add on. Some how the 12 volt coil operates it when you flip the switch in the cab.
Bill

snowstorm

i looked in my old book but didnt see anything like that. it shows the two different govonors limiting speed and veriable speed

Autocar

Thanks Snowstorm , it dosen't look like I will work any this coming week so I will fool around with it and maybe can figure something out on it. It's made by Teleflex Canada I cheched there web page but nothing, I will call them Monday. Have a great weekend Bill.
Bill

fishpharmer

Here is a picture of Autocar's part.

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

snowstorm

are those air lines??? 2 stroke detriots used something sorrta like that. i had one that you took the buffer screw out and replaced with one that was hooked to a cable to raise idle worked ok

Autocar

Thanks fishpharmer, and no snowstorm it is a fuel. I got the repair kit yesturday and put it all back togather so maybe tomarrow I will get it back togather and see how everything works. Thanks for all the replys on this subject. Bill
Bill

a old timberjack

i have a 85 i.h. eagle log trk with a 400 cummins. i have the same govenor. wen i hit the switch it revs up and stays at 1000 rpm. could not run the loader without it. i put it on myself. it was easy.
H.T. LOGGING and Trucking, llc, GREENE, Rhode Island

Thank You Sponsors!