iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Raider Bills "North to Alaska" Thread

Started by Magicman, December 07, 2010, 05:34:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Bill, I'm going to start a thread in the Travel Board "North to Alaska".  We are seriously considering another trip.  Maybe others will chime in with travel route suggestions and offers for free lodging and meals.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Raider Bill

Quote from: Magicman on December 07, 2010, 05:34:06 PM
Bill, I'm going to start a thread in the Travel Board "North to Alaska".  We are seriously considering another trip.  Maybe others will chime in with travel route suggestions and offers for free lodging and meals.   ;)

Sounds good.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Magicman

A trip to Alaska takes some serious consideration, planning, as well as a sizable sum of travel expenses.  Pat and I were there in 1997, but when you go to Alaska, you never come all of the way back home.  We drove all of the way going and returning.  A total of 13K miles.

We will take a completely different route on our next trip.  Drive to Calgary and then through Banff, Jasper, Prince George, and to Prince Rupert.  There we would catch the "Marine Highway" Ferry to Ketchikan, Juneau, and to either Haines or Skagway.  We would then be back to Alaska Highway.  From Whitehorse, we would go North to Dawson City, Top of the World Highway, Chicken, and on to Tok.

There is absolutely no planning necessary after reaching Tok.

Where are you Raider Bill   ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fuzzybear

Well I can offer you guys a free room/walltent to stay in when you get to Dawson. Dawson is a must see when traveling to Alaska.  The Alaskan Highway from southern BC to Whitehorse is an awsome drive. It is some of the most breath taking scenery around.
  Top of the world Highway/ Tayler highway is a rough drive but WELL worth it.  When you take that road it is 200 kilometers to Chicken. It will take you about 4 hours if you are in an RV.
   If you decide to come up this way let me know and I can make arangements for you to come to one of the many Gold mining camps here. I can take you to my gold claims and you can pan for gold. Anything you find you can keep.
  There are many thing to see and do here. send me a list of interests and I can help you find what your looking for.
   I would be proud to host you and your families when you get here. Just remember when you get here that the sun never sets and the days are actually weeks. And one final warning about taking a trip to the top of the world... you may never want to leave.
  Please ask any questions  I'll be glad to help.
Donovan
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

Magicman

Thanks fuzzybear.  We were in a motorhome last time and missed Dawson City.  That won't happen again.

If we can do it again, we would be traveling in this, but without the trailer.

Raider Bill

Well I just got my 2010 "Milepost" :D :D

This will be my ride with the addition of food, cooking gear and 2 gas cans once I get into the way up north.  ;D ;D

Fuzzybear, Warbird, I'll be looking you all up. I don't do much planning on road trips just throw my gear on the bike and go. This trip I may have to do some thinking on though. :P :P Coming from Florida, Seattle Wash is the half way point. I never realized just how big Canada is till I mapped it out. Dang....
I generally just blast for a day then crash where ever I end up no real plans as to daily destinations although there will be sites along the way and people I want to see/meet. Historically I just mosey along, camping, couch surfing and even hit the showers every so often.
I will most likely be riding solo unless Jessica Simpson, the waitress we had the day before the pig roast last year up at Jeff's house or a reasonable facsimile calls and wants to tag along. ;) ;)
I have 2 friends that I have invited both are very good riders and proven Iron butts. One can't get the time something about a Wife I dunno.....and the other won't have the $$$ so it looks like just me.
I'm looking at around 6 weeks at least I think and being on a bike looks like late June, July or early August about a 6 week window. I'll defer to the residents for more info on that.

I'm thinking of riding to the Arctic Circle north of Fairbanks getting a picture of the bike and I then grabbing a ferry in Anchorage and taking it south a bit so I can see them glaciers falling and maybe a whale or 2. The ride back home from there is wide open with no plans although I may go see the Grand Canyons.

Of course all my planets have to line up at work, family etc.

Biker's say it's not the destination but the ride there. Alaska may just prove that wrong.

Bro. Noble

If we ever get shut of the stoopid cows,  one of the first things I plan to do is go to Alaska.  I'd like to drive via Lake Louise and Paul H's in Canada,  but will probably have to fly.  I'd go to Ancorage and then fly to Port Alsworth.  My brother has a house there and my Niece and Nephew have a B&B there.  The Nephew is a pilot for Lake Clark Air and does a lot of sightseeing trips as well as hunting and fishing trips.  He is a lurker on the forum and will hopefully see this and contribute to it.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Magicman

Bill, you should not have to worry about gas.  There are plenty of gas stations.  For your glacier watching, we caught a boat in Valdez.

You said that you were going through Seattle?  Are you catching the boat from there?

Raider Bill

Loaded down on moderate hills I get around 150 maybe a little more per tank. That works out to just about when my legs and butt need a break. At higher elevations and terrain I don't know. Better safe than sorry.  Additionally I like to ride at night so I assume many stations in North Canada and Alaska would be closed.

If I decide to take my old Shovelhead instead of the Road King then my mileage will be less.

I won't be going through Seattle on the way there I was just using that as a distance reference point. My hopes are to ferry back part of the way starting in Anchorage til I get tired of being a the boat. I understand that the ferry rides are pretty long and slow. Looking at the Marine ferry Schedule I could sail all the way from Anchorage to Vancouver I think it is. I spoke with a Biker that did that and he said he would not ferry that far again as just one leg was over 59 hours.

Magicman

My idea would be to only ferry between Skagway and Prince Rupert.  There's just too much to see than to stay on a boat.

Be sure to carry a sign to hang in the "Sign Post Forest" at Watson Lake. 

I really doubt that we will make another trip this next year, but it is exciting to plan.  We may very possibly make it to Calgary, Banff, & Jasper though.

Magicman

Your Milepost will be your guide looking ahead for gas stations.  Also, you won't be riding too much at night, because there won't be any night.   :D  Seriously, the sun won't set until about midnight after you get much further North than Dawson Creek.

You do have a Passport?

Magicman

Bill, I see that we crossed the Arctic Circle on June 20, 1997 instead of the 22nd. 

Stop at the Wildwood Store at mile 49 on the Elliott Highway and get your certificate.  Probably the store North of the Yukon bridge has them also.

Arctic Circle Certificate from the Wildwood store

The hat also came from the Wildwood store

sandhills

You guys are making me VERY jealous!!!!  I went to Alaska via the AlCan highway when I was 14 with my uncle.  He owned a house in Haines which his son ran as a bed and breakfast and we spent a couple weeks there doing repairs and such.  I was able to see many of the places your talking about along the way but never made it much further north, Skagway is a must see in my opinion, as well as Haines but I'm sure just about anywhere in the north country would be.  Can't wait to go back again!
If any of you are coming through Nebraska on the way north send a message, if it fits in the plans there's always room, board and a meal or two waiting here.

SwampDonkey

Ferry from Vancouver to Prince Rupert via Inside Passage is a fairly fast boat. That's close to 500 miles, then it's almost in site of Alaska from there. I worked up there on Somerville Island along Porcher Canal, which is the border line with Alaska. Kutzmatene Grizzly Sanctuary is across from the Island on the BC Mainland. I've seen whales along there while standing on the beaches waiting for the taxi (chopper) to pick us up.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ErikC

I have gone the route you are suggesting almost exactly Magicman, but we went to whitehorse and headed back south through BC. I liked the ferry ride, but it was slow. I would not want to do it both ways. We saw a lot of whales, eagles and things like that from the boat though. I have been two times and hope to take Sarah before long. It is an expensive proposition, even going low budget. I was 17 and 19 the two times I went, and the fishing was outstanding.
8) 8) 
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Magicman

Well, it's Raider Bill's thread now.  The Magicwoman wants an additional room on the Cabin which means that I will be sawing, stacking, laying foundation blocks, and building during my spare time. 

At least she happened to be wearing her Alaska shirt when she pointed out what she wanted.

Happy traveling Bill.   smiley_thumbsup

DouginUtah

You may find this trivial but here is my opinion about the road to take and things to see.

I have driven from Banff to Jasper (south to north). Spectacular scenery. But I think driving from Jasper to Banff is the better direction. Every time we looked back to the south it seemed that the views were more spectacular.

If you hit Juneau be sure to see the glacier north of town.

If you hit Skagway, take the White Pass train ride (very pricey but worth it). You can rent computer time a block west of Main street near the middle of town.

If totem poles interest you then that would be the only reason to hit Ketchikan.

If you pass through Utah, I am just 25 miles off I-15 so you can look me up for a bed and shower and good meal.  :)
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Raider Bill

Quote from: Magicman on December 22, 2010, 02:17:08 PM
Well, it's Raider Bill's thread now.  The Magicwoman wants an additional room on the Cabin which means that I will be sawing, stacking, laying foundation blocks, and building during my spare time.  

At least she happened to be wearing her Alaska shirt when she pointed out what she wanted.

Happy traveling Bill.   smiley_thumbsup

Priorities brother.... which is why I've been married 3 times to your one  whiteflag_smiley  smiley_love smiley_whip

I actually had a ex wife tell me she wanted a 2 way radio in our helmets so we could talk while riding which I interpeted as she wanted to sit back there and   smiley_furious3 at me. I took the 2 up seat off and put my solo seat back on instead.  Ah but I digress.................
Don't know how you guys do it....

Anyway it looks like 2012 for me too.

Doug I got you on my list of stops!

Those ferry's look pretty pricey and long. I'd hate to pay the per foot price for a big RV or trailer.

SwampDonkey

Mom's uncle was a railroad foreman since the war and when he retired he and the wife got a free trip on the railroad from coast to coast return and landed in Prince Rupert, BC and took the ferry up into Alaska. Mom said that was the only trip the old miser took in his life and wouldn't be there unless the railroad paid his way.  :D :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

We were working from a  Yacht in Douglas Channel (you know the guy that named the trees) and on our way home. It's a little south of Prince Rupert. When we reached Inside Passage that big Ferry coming up from Port Hardy to Prince Rupert just plowed right on bye us like were canoeing. :D It's 500 km not miles, 15 hour trip.

http://www.bcferries.com/about/fleet/profile-northern_expedition.html

Just built last year, they sunk Queen of Prince Rupert.  :-\

timerover51

Having spent my army time at Fort Richardson, right outside of Anchorage, you will be missing a lot if you do not get to Mt. McKinley, or down on the Kenai Penisula to Homer and Seward.  And the Inside Passage trip is absolutely awesome.

jim king

Are you going to take a side trip and visit Plicketycat out of Anchorage ?

Raider Bill

I follow their blog and would sure like to. It's not that far away from Fairbanks if Lowe's delivers to them. But then again........ it is Alaska.

isawlogs

You going to be carrying studded tires for dat ride of yours .  :P
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Raider Bill

Hopefully I'll get out of there before they are needed! ;D If not I have your number.

Thank You Sponsors!