iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My hydraulic log turner works!!!

Started by gator gar, December 07, 2010, 05:31:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gator gar

Finally got out there today and tied everything in. Turned the pump on and pulled the handle......Nothing!! Got to thinking what Pineywoods said about the other guys in and out hoses being wrong and sure nuff, my hoses were wrong.

Switched those out and fired it up again. Hit the up and down lever and those 12 inch cylinders went to moving. I hit the dog cylinder and it extended, but wouldn't retract. I'm thinking bad valve maybe. So, I switch hoses to different valve and hit the switch...grab the dog lever and zoom, in and out.

The up down isn't as fast as I thought, but the dog is on a different set of valves. It might be a good thing, cause I would probably throw a log off the back of the mill. Tomorrow, I have to tighten some fittings up that are leaking and I'll try to get some pics of everything and post them.

Thanks go out to Buck for those valves and to Pineywoods for the drawings to get it done.

pineywoods

Yea  8)  8) .Think you are the second guy to get one going, but I ain't seen any pics yet. Any problems other than the reversed hoses ? Wanna take any bets about how long before you saw the top off the claw ??
The last one I built has a 3 hp 3600 rpm motor driving a log splitter pump. It's just a tad faster..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

sgschwend

congrats, it great to get new part you made yourself working.  It is nice that PW could provide the help.
Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

bandmiller2

Gator, isn't it nice when a project works out,a log turner is a real spoiler and hydraulic clamping is  handy, you'll find you don't use your outher clamps. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

gator gar

My wife thinks it is the neatest thing in the world.

Buck

Woohoo!  pics man.....pics!  Congrats. That will save the ole backside.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

customsawyer

Great stuff. Just remember you are still going to be tired at the end of the day we just hope you will have more wood cut. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

pineywoods

Quote from: customsawyer on December 08, 2010, 04:25:20 AM
Great stuff. Just remember you are still going to be tired at the end of the day we just hope you will have more wood cut. ;D

Now Sawyer, you weren't supposed to tell him that. Hydraulics is supposed to make it all easy.  ::)
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Magicman

Nah, Piney.  Customsawyer nailed it perfectly.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DanG

It's kinda hard to fool ol' Jake when it comes to getting some boards on the ground!

Good job, Gator! 8) 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tim L

Congrats ! Please post pics when you can.
Do the best you can and don't look back

Thank You Sponsors!