iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

potatoes & onions

Started by northwoods1, December 07, 2010, 11:53:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

northwoods1

Stopped on my way home yesterday at a local produce farm and picked up a supply of potatoes & onions for the winter. They just started selling to the public and had a small building set up with a good assortment of produce, it was all self serve by the honor system. 50# of large yukon golds for $10 and really nice large yellow onions #50 for $10. I can't grow potatoes or onions that cheap :D , along with everything else from the garden and some venison I'm set for the winter. I'm down to 12 pints of homemade salsa am already rationing it :D only 6 jars of homemade apricot jam left. Be a while till I can get some fresh apricots again :)

Chris Burchfield

I've had Onions and Potato's fried in a black iron skillet as supper for more times than I can count.  Not much smells better than onions cooking.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

chevytaHOE5674

Got about 1100lbs of white, yellow, and red taters in the root cellar should last till summer and have enough for planting.

northwoods1

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on December 08, 2010, 05:46:41 AM
Got about 1100lbs of white, yellow, and red taters in the root cellar should last till summer and have enough for planting.

1100# ?? holy smokes! I need to make me a decent root cellar as of now I am putting everything in a sump pit I have in my barn it keeps well but there isn't enough ventilation gets pretty damp down there. One thing about potatoes and onions, if a person has those and is out of about everything else you can still fix up a meal in a hurry is someone shows up. I've never had much luck growing onions they never form a good sized bulb.

WDH

That is a hard combo to beat.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

chevytaHOE5674

Ya we plant a couple of rows in the garden.  :D

Thank You Sponsors!