iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Cold

Started by metalspinner, December 07, 2010, 08:34:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roxie

Quote from: WH_Conley on December 09, 2010, 09:40:30 AM
Anybody for votin him off the island, with out a canoe? :o

Yes!  And, I don't want anyone that shows their undergotchies on the jury either!  

Swamp, the operative word in your response should be discussing...they were discussing not showing.  BIG difference!

Note to self:  I'm beginning to think some folks may be trying to take advantage of the boss man being laid up....verrrry interesting.
Say when

Chris Burchfield

Twenty seven °F in Memphis this morning going down to 15°F in the morning with a wind chill of one °F.  I have no doubt if Al Gore came to town and opened his mouth things would warm up.  Then again if he were to shut his mouth more often, Global Warming would no longer be an issue.   :D :D :D  I do hope the admins consider the last two sentences a joke as they were meant.  I don't want to go to the wood shed.  :-\
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

beenthere

Quote from: northwoods1 on December 12, 2010, 09:06:50 AM
.......We only got about 12" to 14" of snow in 36 hrs. but it is a very hard pack, not light and fluffy snow. Wind are blowing sustained 30-40mph now. ..........

Where in northern WI are you?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Cedarman

The weather doesn't stop some folks.  Last night at about 10 pm I hear a truck at the sawmill.  Wind is blowing snow and about 20F.  I was out earlier piddling in the mill thinking that it seems too cold to be doing this for fun.  Anyway, he unloads about 4500 feet of tree length cedar with his KB.  I would not have wanted to unload with my loader.
I understand though.  He grew up and did a lot of logging in Maine and said this was nice weather to work in.  Looking at the weather report, he is going to have a lot of nice weather to work in for the next few weeks.  This morning it is 14F and the mill is starting at 7AM as usual.  I have a good bit of logs to buck up today.
At least THERE IS NO MUD!!! :D :D
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

SwampDonkey

Call me when it's -14, then we'll discuss fun. :D

It's about 50 F this morning and wind driven rain. Not much for snow I'm afraid. Must be time to tap trees again. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Burlkraft

+1° here this morning  ;D  ;D  ;D    >:(  >:(  >:(

I still have to clean up some of the snow that fell.
I'm gonna drink my coffee and build up to going outside slowly so as not to shock the system!

I think all I have on my plate today is snow clean up. It may take all day   ::)  ::)

(I'm not gonna pull out my new underwear!)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

isawlogs

It is raining here also, all that nice snow is melting away, I had my logging trail all packed down and started to freeze  >:(  
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

barbender

-20°F here this morning, anybody that calls that nice is nuts!
Too many irons in the fire

barbender

It is nice for freezing down our swamp/ winter access jobs though ;)
Too many irons in the fire

Gary_C

It's not even winter yet and everyone is complaining. Winter comes tomorrow.  ::) 

If you are feeling bad about your weather, consider Winona, MN where they got 26 inches of snow last Saturday down in that river valley.

And the worst part of that storm is the Metrodome roof went down again. Now the state leaders will probably take some more money they take from us poor taxpayers to build the Vikings a new stadium.  :(
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

beenthere

QuoteIt's not even winter yet and everyone is complaining.

So after tomorrow, we can't complain as it will be winter  :) :) :)

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Cedarman

Did I miss a week or is winter starting a week early this year?
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Shotgun

Winter starts on Dec. 21, 2010. You must be lookin' at a Wisconsin calendar.   :D
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

SwampDonkey

:D :D :D LMAO!!!!

I think it's April, them calenders lie. It's 54 degrees out.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Gary_C

I can't believe how time does not fly by this year.   ::)

Yep, I just tried to skip a week.  :D :D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

jander3

-15 degrees, 22" of snow over the weekend.  Won't be long now and the ice on the lakes will be just right for fishing.

SwampDonkey

The main river here was just beginning to chill a little last week, but that's all gone now.

paul case

i dunno what  youall are complaining about, its 65 here right now.

well i am inside by the fire.
outside its something more like 20 and we have had 2 nights with lows in the low teens. plenty cold but at least the wind has stopped blowing so hard. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Carpenter

I don't think the cold has started yet.  We've had one mild blizzard and days in the teens and twentys but some days in the high 40's last week.  I just double up the long jons on the cold days and it doesn't bother me much.  Chopping ice at 30 below isn't so bad.  The water freezes before it gets to you, as long as the wind isn't blowing too bad you can stay warm.  When the high is below zero for a couple of weeks it starts to bother me. 
     Sunday it was 9 degrees outside.  I hand split some firewood while the kids played in the snow.  I had to shed some layers because I was getting too hot.  I've always been a summer person really.  But, I spent a few years in the mountains in Wyoming and Colorado and I guess got use to the cold.  Around Walden Colorado we only had 2 months of summer and there were several days of 40 below.  I guess I just got used to it.  But, dressing in layers helps, and a good hat, (stocking hat, elmer fud hat, etc.) don't be afraid to double, or triple up those long jons.  Keep your body core warm and that will help with your hands and feet.  Thats the biggest problem I have.  Sometimes at 40 degrees I loose feeling in my hands, but other times at zero I have good circulation.  Most of the time when its cold I can't feel my feet, but I know theyre still there since I'm still standing and everything's fine. 
     Seriously though, mittens are a lot better than gloves.  When we lived in the mountains, I made a pair of mittens out of chap leather that went over my insulated gloves.  They looked like oven mits and it was difficult to do anything with them, but they sure kept my hands warm. 

Thank You Sponsors!