iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Red Fish

Started by Buck, December 06, 2010, 08:31:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buck

Well allright folks, lets hear a few redfish recipes.  Just got in from my evening firewood deliveries and I got tipped well.  A gallon of redfish filets!   8)
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Tom

redfish is good baked, and there was a flurry of blackened red fish that nearly decimated the species, but I like them fried as fingers or grilled.

Slice a redfish fillet crosswise to make a strip about the size of your index finger and as long as the fish was wide.  Salt, pepper, dredge in flour and cornmeal and deep fry.

or, if the filets are from a bigger fish, like 15 or 20 pounders:

Salt and pepper, butter the top a little and shake some paprika on it. Place in a wood grill with a low fire and shut the lid.   If you have a gas grill, make some smoke by putting a few chips of oak or hickory in a little frying pan and placing on the flame on one side.

Depending on the heat of the fire, you will have a very tasty filet in 20 or thirty minutes.

caveman

I like red fish blackened or fried.  To fry it, or any fish for that matter, I usually add cornmeal, Everglades seasoning and some Lawry's seasoning salt to a gallon zip lock bag and shake it all up to mix well.  Pat the fillets dry and add several to the bag at a time and shake them until well covered with the meal mix.  Drop them into peanut oil for 5-8 minutes (depending on fillet thickness) that is preheated to around 350 degrees.

For blackening them, I dredge the fillets in melted butter and coat with blackening seasoning (Zattarian's, Old Bay, or McCormicks).  Heat a cast iron skillit to real hot and plop the fillets on the hot iron for a few minutes per side.  The flesh will turn white when done.

Baked fish is okay but it does not suit me as well as frying, blackening, or grilling.  I would reserve the oven for making cakes, bread and heating potatoes.  Let us know how they turn out.
Caveman
Caveman

Buck

I'm quite sure it will be good. Thanks guys.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

fishpharmer

I've never had any bad redfish.  Baked, blackened, grilled or fried. 8)

DanG sure would be fun to catch some. ;)

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

metalspinner

One thing I miss most about living in LA. is the abundnce of fresh seafood and the eagerness to share it with your friends. :)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Raider Bill

Salt, pepper, smear mayonnaise all over it and bake

DELISH!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

WDH

Marinate the fillets in soy sauce and lemon jiuce, about equal parts.  Add seasoning to your taste (easy on the salt because of the soy sauce but lots of black pepper is good  ;D), then grill until golden brown and delicious.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!