iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First Real Cold Day !

Started by Autocar, December 06, 2010, 02:41:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Quebecnewf, I certainly hope that you have better skidding weather this year and more ice.  I really enjoyed following your progress last year and hated to see your efforts halted when the water didn't freeze.

I guess that those logs that you cut last year are still good?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Cedarman

10 degrees F this morning at 7.  Everyone showed up to work in the mill.  All equipment is running.  Sanding about 2000 ' of T&G.   Sawing lapsiding.  Cull boards being shaved to grind into sawdust for specialty markets.  Logs coming in nicely.  AND NO MUD!!!
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

GRANITEstateMP

16 Degrees F @ 6AM in Southern NH this morning.  It seems like I haven't stopped feeding the woodstove in weeks!  Oh well, I guess winter is here.  The in-laws brought in two lten wheeler (roll off can) loads of logs for the OWB yesterday, we cut and decked the logs this summer but the end of the hay field they were in was too wet, so we couldn't get them out, untill yesterday!

Matt
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

beenthere

Matt
Those logs will be ready to burn a year from now.

Burning green wood is one reason you are feeding so much into the woodstove. :)
Takes twice the wood if it is green.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Gary_C

For the past three days I have been building another set of log bunks for my log trailer. They are made of heavy steel tubing and I have been working in my cold machine shed in temps of -5 F to a high of about 10 F. I got my face tanned in the process cause it was so hard to see out of that welders helmet. But I got them done yesterday afternoon and was too tired to head back to my job up in the north woods last night.

During the night temps rose to about 23 F and we are getting freezing rain that is supposed to be ice pellets and snow. Then by Sunday night the temps are supposed to drop to the lowest of the season or about -12 F.

This is crazy. It's been a very difficult start to the winter with record amounts of rain, snow, and temps of 10 to 20 degrees below normal on the average. Right now I can't even see out of the windows of the house as they are coated with ice.  :) :)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

northwoods1

Quote from: Gary_C on December 09, 2010, 10:53:39 AM

During the night temps rose to about 23 F and we are getting freezing rain that is supposed to be ice pellets and snow. Then by Sunday night the temps are supposed to drop to the lowest of the season or about -12 F.

This is crazy. It's been a very difficult start to the winter with record amounts of rain, snow, and temps of 10 to 20 degrees below normal on the average. Right now I can't even see out of the windows of the house as they are coated with ice.  :) :)

Oh oh that must be headed this way  :o I better get moving I haven't even been brave enough to go outside yet except to let the dog out. Had about 0 degrees f. this morning. Need to get some wood moved!

SwampDonkey

Rebounding from daily highs of 20's to the 30's in the next few days. Ain't seen nothing out of the ordinary on this corner of the continent.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ga jones

15 here this morning but sunny .Calling for  47 and rain sunday. muddy landing again!
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

GRANITEstateMP

beenthere,

My wood is nice and seasoned, as is most of the wood for the OWB of at the farm.  The wood they hauled in will be used if we get one of "those" winters!

Gary,

Look on the bright side, if there is a nice coat of ice on the house windows it's just one more layer of insulation! ;D

Matt
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

SwampDonkey

Everyone's idea of seasoned wood is different I guess. I never thought cutting firewood in the summer would be well seasoned for September burning. No way it could be dry enough laying in log form. Each to their own. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ed_K

monday I cut a birch in the maple orchard and sap was pouring out,today I started a hemlock job. The trees I cut were frozen to the core. 19 degs f at 1:30 pm.tomorrow morning it's supposed to be 4 degs.
Ed K

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

SwampDonkey

53 F here with lots of rain on the tundra. :D

Autocar

Colder then crap here ! I shoveled the snow away from the bird feeder then pushed snow with my little skidder. Iam going to hold up for a few days :D
Bill

barbender

Our current temps up here are by no means out of the ordinary.
Too many irons in the fire

Mooseherder

West Palm Beach is colder than Northern Maine today. ::)
I'm liking it and betting that it doesn't happen very often. :P
Looks like it will get down to 26 degrees tonight.
I hope it snows. ;D

caveman

I wish all of you Canadians would keep your cold air up there where it belongs.  We are trying to keep kids' hogs from freezing and around 3:30 a.m. tomorrow I have to head to school to set the citrus grove irrigation to continue icing the trees.   If the next two nights are as cold as the news crews predict, strawberries and citrus will cost a fortune this winter.  Look for sink holes to form around Plant City  in the next week due to over pumping from the aquifer to  attempt to save their berry plants. Caveman
Caveman

SwampDonkey

Those darn Canadians, how dare they! :D Maybe you can send that fruit up frozen like the rest of the US does. ;)

caveman

I am sure there will be plenty of citrus that will freeze tonight and tomorrow.  The governor has declared a state of emergency, which means that the truckers hauling fruit do not have weight limits for the next few days.  They will try to process the fruit for juice.
You folks that deal with the cold on a regular basis are definitely tough.  The cold seems to make simple tasks much more difficult.
Caveman

SwampDonkey

It all depends on where you call home. Some love all the seasons, some don't. We here lots of blat'n about the weather up here to. Me, I hate mowing and heat above 65 F when I have to work in it. I always liked to cut wood in the winter, I was never cold unless I had poor foot wear. Steam rolls off me like a horse.  ;D :D Hmm steamed eye glasses, I hate that part. ;)

Thank You Sponsors!