iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

From log to stairway (with pics)

Started by sunriseseamless, December 05, 2010, 03:16:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunriseseamless

Several years ago I cut down a 36" Red oak for a friend and had about 12 feet of trunk that I took home and waited for a project that would do it justice.  A year or so later I bought a rental property that needed a new stairway.  I quarter sawed the log with my alaskan mill and 076 Stihl.

This was a yard tree, at the corner of an old garage so I found nails as expected -26 to be exact.  The new chain I used is sharpened  almost down to nubbins.
I had Kelvin dry them for me and planed the largest stair treads.  My twelve inch planer could handle all but the four largest, pie shape stairs.  Those four were twenty inches each.

I didn't have enough nice wood for the risers, so those are just 3/4" oak plywood.

Here are the big pieces - 1 1/2" quartersawn stair treads each from a 60" by  20" board.

The railings and spindles I picked up cheap at the local Habitat reuseable store, otherwise, pretty much all you see was cut from that red oak log.
This is far and away my most ambitious woodworking project to date and inspite of all the minor flaws that I know are there even if they don't show up in pictures, I'm pretty pleased with the end product.

TreeWinder

Ed
041 056S 056M
MS660 070 084
CS670
Baker 18M
Komatsu D-21-P ,
Speeco 35T

Busy Beaver Lumber

Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

Magicman

And you very well should be pleased with the fruit of your labor.  Pity it's in rental property and someone else is enjoying seeing it every day.

Your use certainly did that log justice.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

kelLOGg

...and you take pride in your rental property. Lucky renters. Kudos for you! 8)
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Texas Ranger

Minor flaws?  Hey, you see them, but most others would not, that is the thing about a woodworker, we see our flaws, and some of our friends in wood, but we all make them, and most folks don't notice.

Very good job.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Banjo picker

Nice job.  I would say one chain would not be too much to pay...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

schakey

Think-Dream-Plan-Do

inspectorwoody

sawdust

That is beautiful.
You will not be able to find the flaws yourself in a bit of time.
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

Woodchuck53

Great job. If your wife is any thing like mine, she says we are our on worst critics. I tell her sure and she says she likes it so that's over half the battle. Enjoy the fact that you salvaged something some else may have discarded. Have a good one. Chuck
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

northwoods1

Something really cool about seeing a pic of a log, and then immediately seeing a pic of what that very log was made in to. I thought the log and milling pics looked good but you did really good on those stairs  :) I love the look of oak like that , that must be a very nice rental it sure looks like it :)

metalspinner

Looks great!

Maybe make a framed picture cluster of all the steps that log went through to become stairs and hang it at the top of the landing in the stair well.  It'll be a nice story for futuire tenants to see on their way to bed each night. :)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

sunriseseamless

Maybe make a framed picture cluster of all the steps that log went through to become stairs and hang it at the top of the landing in the stair well.

That's a great idea!

FYI - I bought the house to rent to my son, daughter in-law and granddaughter.  I couldn't stand the thought of them in an apartment building.  They lived there two years and then bought a house.  Unfortunately, they never got to enjoy the new stairway, because things always take longer than expected.
I am now renting it to a family we know fairly well.

If your wife is any thing like mine, she says we are our on worst critics.

My wife and I take turns on being my worst critic.javascript:void(0);

Hey, you see them, but most others would not, that is the thing about a woodworker, we see our flaws, and some of our friends in wood, but we all make them, and most folks don't notice.

My dad always said the difference between a good carpenter and a great one is how well he hides his mistakes.

sunriseseamless

(Quotations added)

"Maybe make a framed picture cluster of all the steps that log went through to become stairs and hang it at the top of the landing in the stair well."  Metalspinner

That's a great idea!

FYI - I bought the house to rent to my son, daughter in-law and granddaughter.  I couldn't stand the thought of them in an apartment building.  They lived there two years and then bought a house.  Unfortunately, they never got to enjoy the new stairway, because things always take longer than expected.

I am now renting it to a family we know fairly well.

"If your wife is any thing like mine, she says we are our on worst critics." Woodchuck53

My wife and I take turns on being my worst critic. :) :)

"Hey, you see them, but most others would not, that is the thing about a woodworker, we see our flaws, and some of our friends in wood, but we all make them, and most folks don't notice."  Texas Ranger

My dad always said the difference between a good carpenter and a great one is how well he hides his mistakes. 8)

northwoods1

What your dad said about being able to hide mistakes that is very true. It sounds tongue in cheek but it is a fact. No matter how good a craftsman a person is there are always mistakes that they will notice, it is this process of being picky which separates the ordinary craftsman from the extraordinary. Just my thoughts about the matter, I like the idea about hanging some pics on the wall of the process to me that is a great idea.

thecfarm

I would be pretty pleased with the job too!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sigidi

bloody nice job mate 8) great work!!!
Always willing to help - Allan

argyle1

weisyboy

looks fantastic mate, the log was worth keeping.
god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia
www.weisssawmilling.com.au
http://www.youtube.com/user/weisyboy?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000696669814&sk=photos

customsawyer

There is nothing wrong with what I see in those pics.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

bandmiller2

Sunrise,stairs like you built are probibly the most difficult thing for a carpenter to build,my scrody old mill hat is off to you sir.Whats next? Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

sunriseseamless

Quote from: bandmiller2 on December 07, 2010, 07:38:21 AM
Whats next? Frank C.

Not sure.  I have a nice hickory that's been drying for a couple of years, nice wide boards.  I had Kelvin cut them all into 1" though.  I also cut down a locust that seems to have a nice rosy grain, she's sitting out back waiting for me to cut here up.  Any suggestions for those?
Probably my most immediate project will be replanking my trailer.  I have a nice big ash to take down for another friend and I'll have Kelvin cut that up for me.  Not quite as interesting as a finished stairway, but a good feeling when you take a rough log and turn it into something useful.

blaze83

nicely done,  something about red oak that has a warm homey feeling. I think your tenants are blessed, the idea of pictures at the top of the stairs is a good one, I always  forget to take the pictures when I'm milling though haha

again excellent job

Steve
I'm always amazed that no matter how bad i screw up Jesus still loves me

Thank You Sponsors!