iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

World's Largest Timberframe

Started by DouginUtah, December 04, 2010, 02:05:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DouginUtah

-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

fishpharmer

Doug I look forward to seeing that project develop.  That's pretty cool to have a Biblical theme park.  Why not?  I think I would prefer that to mice that talk.

SD, have you ever seen that place?
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

SwampDonkey

Fish yes, it's 10 miles from here.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Warren

Just heard about this project this morning.  Apparently, the site was announced this past week to be just west of Williamstown, KY on KY36, (20 minutes from my place). 

Was not aware that it was going to be timber frame...   hmmm...   Will have to check it out...

-w-
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

Brad_bb

They've got that kind of money to spend like that in this economy?  The fact that they announced how many "jobs will be created" tells me there will be public money involved- not right.  And $100 for a peg, uh I think timber framers make them a lot cheaper than that.  I can draw knife 40 in an hour.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

barbender

Brad, I would almost guarantee there is no public money going into that project. The Creation Museum was built with 100% donated funds and was paid for when it was finished. I would expect this to be done the same way. I haven't got to go visit the Creation Museum, but I look forward to taking the family down there some time. Maybe we'll have an Ark replica to check out too.
Too many irons in the fire

Thehardway

If you watch the actual Governors. announcement
http://arkencounter.com/
you will catch that the states partnering contribution amounts to a sales tax exemption which is conditional on the developers meeting specific requirements set forth in the Kentucky Tourism act.

Also they are not paying $100.00 for a peg, $1,000.00 for a board or $5,000.00 for a beam.  Those are merely giving levels for their fundraising efforts and are symbolic, not literal. 

I am interested in the "green" and LEED certified concepts they claim to be bringing to the theme park.  This should be an interesting project to follow.  Perhaps it will represent some jobs for FF site members either in sawing or Tframing. 

I think it will be difficult to replicate materials and techniques as their timeframe for completion is much shorter and the timber available is probably nowhere near the size, nor the quality of that which Noah had to pick from.  Let's see how they proceed and wish them success.
Norwood LM2000 24HP w/28' bed, Hudson Oscar 18" 32' bed, Woodmaster 718 planer,  Kubota L185D, Stihl 029, Husqvarna 550XP

barbender

One other point is that whether you agree with Answers In Genesis (the organization behind this) or not, the Creation Museum they built is supposed to be first rate as far as how the exhibits are put together, the animatronics, they have a lot of people that worked on secular museums, in Hollywood, Disneyland etc. that were looking for a different outlet ;) Even AIG's biggest detractors had to admit what a world class museum they built, it's one of the reason's they dislike it so much.
Too many irons in the fire

fishpharmer

I look forward to seeing both.  I can't put much faith in a talking mouse.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Walt900

I think they both need to go back and study Genesis 6.  An ark is a box.  Nothing in Genesis says the ark is to have a bow.  A boat/ship is measured by its length and beam, or widest point in the middle.  A box is measured by a constant length and width.

SwampDonkey

I can recall a phrase my mother used many times when a tractor of combine was sitting anywhere near the house over the weekend.

"That sure is an ark of a thing to have sitting around here"

Usually, it had to be moved off the house lot out behind the spruce tree line at the end of the field. :D

Thank You Sponsors!