iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lowes "Build and Grow Clinics"

Started by submarinesailor, December 04, 2010, 12:57:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

submarinesailor

We just returned from our local Lowes where we helped the 2 grandsons build a wooden Caboose for each of them.

They are called Build and Grow Clinics:  http://www.lowesbuildandgrow.com/Home.aspx

We have signed them up for the next 2 clinics; passenger car and the engine.  Good time had by all.

Bruce

Tom

It's good to see commerce take over where Public Education fears to tread.

fishpharmer

My kids always wanted to build something there.  It always conflicted with something else.  Kids need to know they can build things.  We build stuff at home ;)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

clearcut

Home Depot has a similar Kids Workshop program on the first Saturday of each month.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ContentView?pn=Kids_Workshops

Simple pre-cut wood projects assembled with nails and glue.

My kids love it, though we missed it today.
Carbon sequestered upon request.

scgargoyle

When my son was little, about this time of year, I would make kits for him and his friends to assemble. I even pre-drilled nail holes so they couldn't screw it up. Those boys were so proud of the birdhouses they made for their Moms for Christmas!
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Busy Beaver Lumber

I belong to the Huntertown wood working club in Huntertown Indiana. We run programs like that for the kids as well during the course of the year for free if anyone is interested.

Most times we build bird houses or something of that nature, but we also assist the cub scouts when it comes time for pinewood derby cars to be built.

The club also allows younger children to come and work in the shop and build whatever they would like, so long as they come with the proper parental supervision and show the ability to adhere to shop safety rules such as wearing safety glasses at all times.
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

inspectorwoody

It is always fun to walk into Lowes during one of these.

They have them set up right by the front doors so when you walk in, you see all these little happy faces, just as busy as can be.  :)

Thank You Sponsors!