iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How many different forestry jobs have you had ?

Started by Viking, November 24, 2003, 07:00:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

I was just wondering. My self, I have had 3, the first one was a clear cutter, the second was as a thinner, the third was as a tree planter. I've gotta say the best paying job was tree planting, as it was piece work. made upto $110-130 dollars an hour. then clear cutting in 2nd place and thinning in 3rd i wasnt to efficent at that last one, but i still gave it a try.

how about you's ? btw "haha, people asked me if i was a tre hugger or hippie cause i planted them trees:P" answer, no im not, i have nothing agiant'em either.

dail_h

World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

IndyIan

I wish I could've found the $110/hr tree planting site when I was planting! :)  
You must've been in B.C. doing some steep slope planting on not so steep slopes?

I guess that's been my only forestry job, planting.  Oh I guess I've done some fuel wood extraction for my neighbor and myself as well ;D

Ian

johnjbc

LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

theonlybull

clear and shelter woods for a contractor, clear and selective for myself, fuel wood for the family, and worked at a saw mill for a few month's.......   now i fix forrestry equipment and cut our fuel wood....
Keith Berry & Son Ltd.
machine work and welding

dan-l-b

No Job- just a hobby,  TSI, low impact logging, sawing, firewood production,   ;D ;D WHAT A WAY TO GO 8) 8) 8)

pasbuild

Started out cutting mine poles moved up to pulp peeler  then cable skidder op. to pre hauler op. now its the occasional saw logs and fire wood.
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Sawyerfortyish

Over the last 20 some years I've forgotten about more jobs I did than I can remember. Over the last 15 years I've averaged about 300 cords of fire wood per year thats my sideline after and before work at the mill. When not logging or farming or half a dozen other things.

tiny

i drove a skidder for about 8 years,now im operating a processer on a hardwood operation :)
deere skidders,timbco fellers,komatsu diggers,rosin processers,kenworth trucks,ford cars.can you see a patten emerging....

Ed_K

My wife say's I'm semi (retarted) retired  :D. I do logging, TSI, cordwood, land clearing, sawmill and sugarin during mud season.
 Ed
Ed K

Corley5

I've cut lotsa firewood since I was big enough to handle a chainsaw.  Worked in my Grandpa's mill whenever I could from the time he set it up in the early 70s.  Started cutting and hauling bolts to the local pallet mill when I was 17 and did this on and off til I was 23 or 4.  Worked for a local logger cutting hardwood sawlogs for a while but got tired of running junk equipment while getting paid on production.  You don't make much if the equipment is broken down >:(.  The owner always seemed to have a newer pickup and plenty of time and money to spend in the coffee shop >:(.  He still runs his operation the same ::).  Dad and I have cut and marketed our own timber and timber from my Grandma's farm.  I've run cable skidders and forwarders on occasion.  I own and run the mill that was Grandpa's and am going to move it next summer to our farms.  I've got everything collected now to build the shed for it.  I worked a couple winters in a local sawmill handling lumber.  In my job with the MDNR I occasionally do a little forestry work including marking leave trees in timber sales.  Guess that's about it ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

isawlogs

All of the above, sep one : never cut bolts with a chainsaw ;)
slashed for hydro lines ,planted trees, bought a 540 deer  that we have on the farm making the odd sawlog load to pay for its keep, now have an orange mill to keep me busy, still do stove wood for myself ,
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Keltic

I peeled 4' wood when I was little, cut and piled 4&8' wood with the old man. Spend a summer spacing, ad worked my vactions planting a few years. Always burnt wood at my parent's and now we heat with wood. Never earned my living (that's hard work!!) but always messed around. Happy new year!

Thank You Sponsors!