iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The reason that I make friends out of other sawmillers.

Started by customsawyer, December 02, 2010, 04:33:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I'm sure that Red Oak turned out some beautiful lumber.  Even after the sapwood has rotted away the heart is still wet.  It's an honor to be able to open those big babies up.

I'll bet that there was 50+ years of growth above that wire.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

Sawing like that is indeed one task where I would be expecting possible kickback of the saw (pinching the chain on the top of the bar) and be wearing the chainsaw chaps. Just cutting through the thigh meat and tendons and loss of blood thoughts would lead me to that. :)

Nice straight cut there. Good use of the wedges to help keep the cut open too.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

customsawyer

I haven't put it on the sawmill yet as the customer wants reports after each little task so it took me awhile to get a hold of him after I cut it in half.
Northwoods 1 I don't have a clamp on the forks but I have a root grapple that will take the place of the forks. ;D
MM I haven't counted the rings yet but I would bet you that there is more than 50 years from the bark to the wire. This customer had  a contractor build the cabin all around this tree. The contractor finished on the 12/5/09 then they took the tree down on 1/05/10. I talked to the contractor and he said that it cost the customer at least $50,000.00 extra to work around this tree and then they took it out one month after he finished. :-\
I don't know about all the rest of you but if the man wants ti pay me to cut wire I will cut it all day long. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

weisyboy

mondays job for a saw miller i know down the ways. 2 nice camphor logs. :D

god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia
www.weisssawmilling.com.au
http://www.youtube.com/user/weisyboy?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000696669814&sk=photos

fishpharmer

Those are some nice looking big logs.  On the red oak, is the owner wanting it quartersawn?  Having dealt with a couple big logs, I am always impressed with Jakes abililty to split a big log with a chainsaw. 

Carl, will you slab those bigguns or cut smaller boards?  Very impressive logs. 

Sawyers are some of my best friends 8)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

weisyboy

god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia

Ianab

Dunno if I would call that 2nd one a "nice" log.   :D

But if you can slab it, then it's probably going to make some fantastic table tops  ;D

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

weisyboy

thats all its good for anyhow.

each slab outa that one will be worth about $300-400.

and camphor is easy to move.

customsawyer

Well got the go ahead to mill up the rest of the log so I will be working on it today if any of you want to come help.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

weisyboy

if its anything like round here as soon as you mention help all you see is  cloud of dust, but if you mention BBQ or free then your everyones best mate.

paul case

jake,
if you werent 4 or 5 states away i would come just for a lesson on ''how to rip a log with a chainsaw''. man you sure do a nice job at that. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

customdave

Gees Paul that might be a tough lesson, I know in the pics Jake makes it look like just another day @ the office, but look @ the size of that feller & the size of his arms, heck stand that saw on its nose I think it would be darn near as tall as me!! I think if was me it would have to be ladder to get on top with saw,water jug , folding chair for rest breaks ;D, & let gravity help with a log that size 8)....

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

customsawyer

Got her milled up today with some good supervision from riverswamp sawyer who took the time out of his day to come watch the show. He brought this lovely lady with him and we shared some neat time together. I got 8 boards 2X24x8' and 6 boards 2X27X8. I stopped there as I had gone through 8 blades and the customer was willing to cover the blades for the big special stuff but not the little stuff. All in all had a great day.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

fishpharmer

Riverswamp if you hang out with Jake much he'll teach ya something about sawmilling.  Pictures, pictures.  Did you both get some?

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

riverswamp sawyer

Yes Fishpharmer, Jake DID teach me a thing or three about sawmilling!! He and his wife are good people and a class act with a sawmill for sure.

He can take a log that would seem impossible and make it look easy to saw and move around.

As far as the pics go his lovely wife Lorraine took several so they will probably be posted soon. She also showed my wife how to upload pics to the forum so in the near future we will be posting pics of our "redneck" operation.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

paul case

yep we like pics, and if there aint no pics it didnt happen.  pc
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
pc

customsawyer

In keeping with the title of this thread this is Riverswamp sawyer and his lovely bride.

The rest of these is some cuts that I took on the mill.

That is just the sawing of one half as my camera driver got busy with the visiting part. She has seen it so many times that I don't impress her very much.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

fishpharmer

There you go, nice pics.  I'm impressed 8)

The big top slab picked up with the tractor, did you resaw it or could that be used as a mantle?

weisyboy

Magicman

I love to see those big boys opened up.  I know that it is tougher handling, and time consuming, but the inside is worth it.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

paul case

thats not exactly how most of us handle a thick slab, i dont think.  pc
pc

Bill Gaiche

Exactly Paul, Isnt that a nice couple of machines? That big green one keeps him from hollerin at the wife (honey will you come here for a minute) bg

paul case

are you stuck inside waiting for it to warm up too bill?  pc
pc

customsawyer

The top slabs were supposed to be 6X6 post for the legs of the table that the 2Xs are making but the customer said they would use some thing else from the tree that didn't have wire in it.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Thank You Sponsors!