iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The reason that I make friends out of other sawmillers.

Started by customsawyer, December 02, 2010, 04:33:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

customsawyer

Had another sawyer call me yesterday and ask me if I could cut a 48" diameter log. I said yes and a hour later a man pulls into my yard with a 8' red oak that is 48" on the small end  :o  Most times when they say 48" it is on the big end and not to tough but this one will make me earn my bacon.
The point of this post is that every time I make a friend out of another sawyer we are able to help each other out.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

weisyboy

yep always good to know as many sawmillers as possible.
god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia
www.weisssawmilling.com.au
http://www.youtube.com/user/weisyboy?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000696669814&sk=photos

bandmiller2

Its good form to have a working relationship with area sawyers especially ones with a different type of mill say a swing mill to handle massive logs or a circular mill for folks that want the swirly marks on the timbers est.Also helps if your in agreement on prices,or if one of you wants to take a job a little too big to handle alone.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

weisyboy

QuoteAlso helps if your in agreement on prices,

thats against the law over here.
god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia

Cedarman

It is against the law here to collude on pricing.  But you can sure ask your competitor's prices and adjust your own as you see fit.   You just can't agree to set prices.  Wal-Mart visits there competitors regularly to see what prices they charge and adjust their's accordingly.  They just want to be a little lower, but not  lot lower. :D :D
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Magicman

I also make it a point to never comment on another sawyer's lumber quality (or the size of his slab pile).   I am on good business terms with all of the other sawyers in my area, and yes, I have sawed logs that their mills could not handle.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

pineywoods

Within 12 miles of me, there are 5 woodmizers, 3 norwoods and 1 oscar. I am on "good friends" basis with all of them. We swap parts, labor, materials and sometimes customers. One showed up yesterday with a busted claw off the log turner. I'm the guy with the welder. I take on some big logs just for the challenge but If one of them showed up with a 48 inch log, don't think I would tackle that. pics ???
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Larry

I was thinking if a fellow sawyer sent me a customer with a 48" log I might have to take him off my Christmas card list for a few years. ;D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

WDH

That is a whack of a log  :).  

You are right about working together.  I owe you money, BTW...
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

r.man

I like your attitude Customsawyer. I am always disappointed when I hear of people who do the same job in the same basic area being negative about each other and not getting along. One of the reasons I dislike election campaigns so much. Politeness never hurts and if you can't say something positive then keep quiet. It's always good to know that if you're stuck that someone in your own field can be asked for a bit of help and vice versa. Just like good neighbors.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

sgschwend

Absolutely the way to go.  We do that here too (sharing information, staying consistent).

The density of small mill operations is very high and looks to me to be rising.  When folks on FF talk about how close other mills are to them, it is the same here.  I get the feeling there is one sawmill for every 1,000 to 5,000 people.  That would be 60,000 to 300,000 mills in the USA.
Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

paul case

if it werent for a good relationship with other local sawmills inmy case i would be out of a job. a lot of us here work together even though we are in competition with each other. i dont think we miss out on too many opportunities to gain business either.pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

metljakt

Hmmm.......This topic reminds that I should find a guy with a swing blade mill & buddy up.  I've actually been called to look at a Cottonwood on the stump that was 46".  (117 cm)
I told the guy I couldn't do but I would do my best to find someone who could.  Maybe if I bought a rip chain for my Stihl.

Bro. Noble

We have made deals with three large circle mills in the past.  One of them let us leave pallet cants at his mill for a buyer to pick up.  He asked us to saw some paneling lumber for one of his customers.  Another hauls our slabs and has had us resaw cedar for him.  Another bought grade lumber from us.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

submarinesailor

Quote from: WDH on December 02, 2010, 10:12:39 AM
Do I owe you money?

Why, yes you do..........$14,000,000,000 and some change. :o :o :o ;D ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Bruce

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

submarinesailor

Quote from: WDH on December 02, 2010, 08:33:47 PM
Yes, but that was in Confederate Script  ;D.

For a good old southern redneck boy like me, that will be just fine. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Bruce

customsawyer

There seems to be enough work for all of them that want to work so it is better to work together.
WDH do I need to send you my mailing address. ;D
I will be cutting that log on Sat. if you are looking for a good reason to come this way.

Metljakt. you don't need a ripping chain just for cutting a log in half I find that the ripping chain cuts a little slower but it leaves a smoother cut.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

wwsjr

There are 4 WM and a couple of circle mills within 20 miles of my location. Both of the circle mills are owned by older gentlemen who saw very little. I have worked with all the WM owners at one time or another. I am storing logs on my place for one of the sawyers. I use my knuckleboom to unload log trucks and he moves to his mill, 5 miles from me, with his gooseneck trailer. He is also a certified hardwood grader, helps me many times. Last week one of the sawyers had to have surgery on his foot, I sawed pallet lumber so he could meet contract he has with local manufacturer. One of the mills is the LT40 manual I bought in 2002, sold to him in 2005. He saws part time and I refer small jobs to him often. We often trade parts, blades, and etc to keep mills running. It is great to have a "family" of sawyers who work together. I do not know exactly how much they charge, does not seems to hurt any of us as we all stay busy. For the last 3 years we have moved all mills to a common site for WM field service, we split the site charge to save all of us money. Almost every week we refer customers to each other.  Working together is the only way to go in our area.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

DR Buck

Quote from: customsawyer on December 02, 2010, 04:33:53 AM
The point of this post is that every time I make a friend out of another sawyer we are able to help each other out.

You can also get them to buy you lunch on occasion.   ;D
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

weisyboy

parts, advice, orders you cant fill, someone to bushit to all good reasons to keep in contact with otehr sawers.

customsawyer

Dr. Buck are you trying to get this going to food already? ;D
www.thecustomsawyer.com

customsawyer

Here is the log that the other sawyer sent to me. The first pic is my daughter in law and then the rest is just plain old me.

In this last pic you can see the dark spot where there is some wire. :( Told the customer and he said cut it and he would buy the saw blades.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Banjo picker

Looks like for sure he will be buying some blades..What I don't like about logs like that is besides having to split them then you have something that don't handle well on the mill...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

northwoods1

Quote from: Banjo picker on December 09, 2010, 08:20:55 AM
Looks like for sure he will be buying some blades..What I don't like about logs like that is besides having to split them then you have something that don't handle well on the mill...Tim

Yes it is more difficult to handle for sure, unless a person has all the equipment customsawyer has, then no problem :D . you sure do rip those logs down perfect :o that tractor has clamps over the forks doesn't it?

Thank You Sponsors!