iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Emerald Ash Borer wood on the move?

Started by Jeff, November 24, 2003, 04:46:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I took these pictures of a truck in the Mt. Pleasant Home Depot Parking lot. At least 2 hours drive North of the Borer Quarantine area.

Sure looked suspect to me. I wonder if there is a place to report such movement? I took a picture of the license plate to just in case.

Foresters, does this look bug killed? I did not get a real close up cause I was trying to be inconspicuous, but most of this ash was dropping bark and the wood underneath had the tell tale squiggles.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

oakiemac

Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

OneWithWood

Did you get close enough to look for the tell-tale D shaped holes?
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Jeff

Nope, I was a little nervous about rummageing around the back of somebodys truck in a public parking lot. I dont know why but I was. I took the picture as I walked by looking the other way. I know how I'd feel if I came out and Djoe Blow was messin with fht Forestry Forum Truck. I'd have to sick thumper on them.

I'm a sissy. I figured Stonecold owned the truck. :)

Stephen_Wiley

Actually Jeff,

I think I would be more concerned about somebody taking pics around my pickup then just handling a piece of wood from the back.

If  the fellow did encounter me handling a piece of wood.  I would play dumb at ask questions about what kind of wood it is, how much makes a cord, etc. While visually establishing if the wood is showing galleries traits of the borer.

If the galleries and exit holes indicated possible infestation. I might even confront him.  Give him the benefit of my doubt that he may not be aware of the pest.  And ask the location he/she may have got the wood. Ask if they are aware that the wood contains a quarantined pest and give them the chance to act responsibly.

If you choose not to encounter such people.........you might consider getting 'flyers'  from state or national agricultural or natural resource departments which are generally mass produced and are free.  Place one on the windshield of the pickup.

The wood does not appear to be fresh cut, but because bark still remains on many pieces it is possible that some larva or adults may be present.

Your pic of the gallerie is not real clear but it does seem similar to the galleries pictured at this site:

http://www.michigan.gov/mda/0,1607,7-125-2961_2968_18323-44400--,00.html

I would  recommend you go ahead and report this as it is suspect and could easily be spreading and unwanted pest.
" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

AtLast

Its people like that that REALLY PI** ME OFF!!!!....With our project we have worked and still ARE working SO HARD to make public awarness on the forfrount of Michigans minds. We worked HARD getting a complience agreement with the MDA JUST to assure our clients that we work TOTALLY in accordance to the policies in place. That MORON has no respect for his responsibilties and is the type thats making containing the EAB all the more difficult. We are talking 1.2 BILLION Ash tress here in Michigan and for every pick-up truck load of infected ash wood reflects the possiable spred to over 10 thousand trees...  ... Id be HAPPY to pass along his license plate to my contacts at both the MDA and MDNR.

Jeff

Simmer down there Atlast. :D  Kevin has the plate number and the unedited photos.  We cant jump to conclusions. I said the wood looked suspect, I have not seen EAB wood first hand so I am going by knowledge just great enough to make me a menace. :D

Stump Jumper

looks like fire wood to keep the house warm.I did not know of a quarantine.how is a person suposed to know these things ?          kinda bugs me.
Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

Jeff

I dont really know if people are hearing about this outside of the forest products community and those that are at ground zero or not. I have polled different people if they have even heard about it and many say no.  We need to find a way to travel in a different circle. some of Stephen_Wiley's comments sounded great to me. I hate to confront somebody that may get ugly, even if its friendly on myside. A flyer that could be left at that truck would be a perfect solution. Informative, and the webguy dont get his butt kicked.  

Lets do this here. I am going to the general board and make a poll to see what the people on THIS board know. You would think the percentile would be high. Lets see...

dan-l-b

I didn't know anything about it-- probably not in the midwest yet... I hope ???

L. Wakefield

So from the Mich Dept Ag. website it looks like it's only in Michigan so far? And you do have a quarantine?  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Frank_Pender

It's the same sort of thing out here with SOD in Northern California and Southwest Oregon.   Getting the word out is part of the key to a quarantine.   I believethat is just how some traces of SOD got out of the area and into a nursery or two up toward Portland, last year.   People like to dig plants while on a trip and transplant them when they get home.  Many forget and let the plant set and wa la.  More than once, I am sure, good intentions have cause massive issues.   I for one, Jeff, would let the DNR know of your find.  "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."   I hope you have littlechallenge in wrangling with the decision you make.
Frank Pender

Corley5

The DNR forester guys up here post flyers in the campgrounds etc. about EAB and the transport of firewood up here from down there but it seems that it would be more effective if the people heard about it at home rather than after they've hauled the pest up here.  Let's educate them well then impose capital punishment on the offenders
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

DouginUtah

This link probably won't be news to anyone here but it is nice to see that the word is getting out to the general public.

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/news/nation/7365362.htm

Summary: Pests and diseases are wiping out our forests, and it is getting worse, not better.  :(

-Doug
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Huney_Red_Oak

i know this is an old post... but gee whiz.... looks like later you change your mind.
Jeff
– What ever happened to ATLast and his posts?  I enjoyed his honesty and candor and truth.  I haven't seen him post as late, and it is my opinion that because of his positions and  connections with the MDA and DNR  seeming  much more than yours... that you found it necessary to pick apart and dissected and reply in such a way that you would be the 'upper' in every one of the 'un-biased' replies.  Again, he never said anything more than the fact that indeed EAB infected wood had crossed the Mackinac Bridge.  His statement WAS INDEED true !  That indeed it !did! cross the Big Mac and nothing more. 
y do u have to be nasty?
I have no ties to LCLTL (Last Chance Logs to Lumber), but as a Michiganian I have been following this nasty bug and find your comments directed to a good man,  offensive and redundant.

WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM ?
Loving Trees and others . . .

Jeff

My posts are not made lightly on the EAB problem. They are not made through bursts of emotion or from "hear-say" sources.  Its very important to know what is going on, (not just on what we may have heard is going on, until, it can be substantiated). 

All of AtLasts posts are here as they have always been other then his own edits. You can go to his profile and look up all of them if you wish.

populus

I pay close attention to EAB news, and post a lot about it on my weblog. I have also spent more than 10 years doing research on closely related insects and their effects on trees. I think Jeff B takes just the right tone. We need to focus on what is factual and verifiable, and not give way to hysteria or unreasoned passion. This a serious problem, potentially the greatest impact on eastern forests since chestnut blight.  Serious problems require a calm and serious approach.  This forum is an important source of information within the forestry community, especially since its home is in Michigan. It is incumbent on all of us to be careful not to spread rumor or unconfirmed fact.

pasbuild

I have been following all of the posts on the EAB with great interest for what I think is a good reason, that reason is  unsubstantiated  rumors. There are RUMORS going around the eastern end of the Upper Peninsula stating that the two truck loads of firewood were two TT loads being delivered to every gas station in the UP, Rumors like this are giving SOME loggers and log buyers a new sales tool to do nothing less then steal timber from the land owner >:(
populus wrights.. This forum is an important source of information within the forestry community, especially since its home is in Michigan. It is incumbent on all of us to be careful not to spread rumor or unconfirmed fact.. lets not make it EZer for these few to go out and talk (scare)  some one into a clear cut when it is not necessary.
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

swamp-drifter

Great to know people are concerned about EAB in MI, the latest information on this pest, and others, can be found on the Michigan Department of Agriculture website, and other websites too.  The situation is changing all the time so stay tuned for the latest quarantines. Thanks, sd
www.michigan.gov/mda

Jeff

Welcome the Forum swamp-drifter, I've been looking forward to your posts. (A little bird (I think it may have been a receding hair-line eagle) told me to expect you) :)

Emrldashbr

I guess what we need to do is keep telling people the facts.  It doesn't matter what manner it is delivered if you start telling someone that you "don't know for sure," or you "heard" something, they forget that part real quick and it becomes fact to the next person.  There have been no trees identified as infested with EAB in the Upper Penninsula of Michigan.  Because of this the Michigan Department of Agriculture views the northern area of the Lower Penninsula as a "gateway."  The gateways are areas that will be heavily monitored for EAB presense and receive strong consideration for eradication efforts.  There will be EAB staff working at the Mackinaw Bridge to inspect vehicles, and movement of any and all firewood into the UP is being restricted.
 Lets not forget that EAB has been in the State for longer than we first thought.  Because of this, infested materials have moved around the State long before people recognized the dangers.  But EAB is only one of a number of pests that can be moved this way.  Before EAB, Gypsy Moth was also a recognized problem, many diseases and insects can move on firewood as well as logs... It is important to try to deal with, and use materials that are obtained locally.
 Helpful information is available online, at offices of the MI Dept of Ag, MSU extension offices, USDA (APHIS) regional offices, Purdue University extension, Ohio Dept of Ag, the Indiana Dept of Natural Resources, and many many more.  :P
 Keep informed it makes you a valuable resource to those around you  ???
New exotic pest to watch for Phytopthora Ramorum.

Jeff

Emrldashbr, thank you for your effort and for being part of the Forestry Forum.  :)

tnlogger

Emrldashbr and swamp-drifter welcome both of you to the forum
imformation and knowage seam to be whats needed in this case. i am looking forward to both of your
posts.  :)
gene

Thank You Sponsors!