iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Updated: Hydraulic Log Dogs added to Swingmill Frame

Started by sgschwend, December 02, 2010, 12:13:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sgschwend

I have been working on a set of log dog machines to add to my mill.  I setup three machines that have variable dog height and alignment so I can compensate for horizontal and vertical tapper at the same time.  The adjustments are done by moving pins, I expect to rarely need to do this.  But I will be able to clamp wide slabs or cants too.

The dogs are made from 1X2" solid bar stock.  The cylinder is 2" diameter with 16" throw.

Photo shows cylinder side, mill decking removed

Photo shows fixed position side, position set by pins

Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

weisyboy

looks good mate.

where is the vid

now dont hit them, swing saw blades dotn like steel, i did 4 blades on monday with smal nails in the logs, hitting those bad boys will probably snap the plate.
god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia
www.weisssawmilling.com.au
http://www.youtube.com/user/weisyboy?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000696669814&sk=photos

bandmiller2

Good work Steve.If you could find a way to put stops on the sawhead so you can't hit  because if it can happen eventually it will happen.At the very least put marks on the scale for verticle and horizontal showing just where the saw will clear the clamps.Most of us bandy guys have hit the clamps at least once.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

sgschwend

Certainly the scary part.  The rule for this type of machine is to never swing over the frame, only over those deck sections.  The saw can not reach the deck. 

You have a valid point about marking the scale.  My bottom stop is welded on but I can see a value in bolt on addition that would need to be move to put you in the danger zone.  Due to the need to keep the flexibility to saw in different situations I need to be able to go that low. 

I will likely have a 6' long plywood plug that I can use as a shim and hold-down for those small size jobs which would help.  I often get those walking jobs to make a couple of cuts.
Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

sgschwend

Back to the log dogs:
I have used the new dogs for a couple of days now.

Found out that the dogs hold so well I only need to use two machines, so I pulled up the dogs on the third, less metal to hit that way.  Even down to the last board the clamps keep the remainder from moving or shaking.

I also found the dogs make a nice well for the logs to drop into, normally the log will load right between the dog sets.  If not just a simple bar jumps the log in.  A pull of the hydraulic lever and the logs are clamped tight (I am using a hydraulic blocking valve so the cylinder applies pressure continuously).

This has greatly sped up my setup time.
Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

Magicman

Good job Steve.  I love to see a plan come together.  Especially a well thought out plan.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

wannasaw

Amen to MM's comments. Theres a story to tell but not on your post . Good job and thanks for the encouragement.
LT28 70something Int'l Backhoe loader  Kubota L285, Husky 55, F-250 7.3, 12'x6' single axle trailer, Kubota RTV900 w/remote hyd. Iron will...

sigidi

Steve, nice job. 8)

Have you thought of making the 'dog' ('L' shaped bit) of the setup from aluminium and having it so they bolt on or can be removed, then at times if the inevitable happens it will cause minimal damage, or maybe make the dogs lower and have the top lined with timber so the timber portion bites the log and it can be sawn into, after being sawn a few times it can be replaced with a fresh block ;)

but regardless, neat looking setup
Always willing to help - Allan

sgschwend

You are saying the tooth would be aluminum?  Carbide could then cut it and not blow the saw.  That would be a nice.

Has anyone done this?  Will aluminum hold up to the force/pressure?
Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

weisyboy

tehy hold up well nromaly dont know about hydrolic pressure thow.

we can belt them in with a sledgie, no problem. i have to make a new set cos my old ones got eaten up. i make them from 1/4" alum checker plate.
god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia
www.weisssawmilling.com.au
http://www.youtube.com/user/weisyboy?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000696669814&sk=photos

woodsteach

Quote from: sgschwend on December 04, 2010, 07:19:02 PM
This has greatly sped up my setup time.

That is the only downside of the mill...slow set up time!!  I like your new dogs.

Quote from: sgschwend on December 02, 2010, 11:45:22 AM
Certainly the scary part.  The rule for this type of machine is to never swing over the frame, only over those deck sections.  The saw can not reach the deck. 

2 times in 6 years this has happened to me.  The first time was my first custom job....oops time for another blade, but it did re-tip just fine.

The second time was just a few months ago.  I was trying to get 1 more board off of the slab and in the vertical cut the slab pulled free from the log-dog and swung the saw from vertical to horizontal and wham cut into the I-beam and cut off about 1" of the log dog.  I don't think there is any re tipping this one as the seat where the tooth should go is completely gone!

Your set up looks awesome!  Want to make another one!!

woodsteach
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

sgschwend

Woods, thanks for the information about your mill.  Things do happen fast so it is not that hard to believe that a mishap could happen.

You would need a small hydraulic source, moving 2" cylinders doesn't take that much volume, something like a 1 cubic inch pump.  Let me know if you need help.
Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

StorminN

Hi Steve,

I've been thinking about making something like this for my Mobile Dimension. In the case of the MD, I already have the dogs and the I beam they sit on, I would just need to modify them a little and add the hydraulics. Are you running your pump with DC electric?

Thanks,
-Norm.
Happiness... is a sharp saw.

sgschwend

I am sure for dogging you could use DC electric motor (they are common in scissor lifts). 

The cylinders for dogging only need a 3/8 line, not fast, but slow is better when you are clamping with teeth.

I needed good flow for the feed, so I am using a gas engine.  If I ever obtain electric power out there I will switch to an AC source.
Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

scrout

Hi Steve,

Any updates on the mill?  Hope all is well.

sgschwend

The dogs work great and really speed up the log handling.

I just purchase an miniature electric water valve and will be adding it to the lube tank.  When the remote tell the saw engine speeds up to make a cut the valve will start the lube. 

I am building two log loading skid so I can setup a half dozen logs at a time, this will save a little more time.  The mill has a layout that the logs enter from the right and the boards and scrap go out the left side.  I use the forklift to move these.

I have been finishing the sawmill flatbed truck, I am making the log self loader parts now, then adding a trailer hitch.  Here is a log I pickup today, the tree service loaded it with an excavator.

Thanks for asking.

Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

sgschwend

Update:
I am working on the mill to improve a couple of things. 

One is to add power up and down on the setworks, I am going to replace the handle shaft so that an electric motor can drive the shaft, given me both methods.  The handle will be socketed so it will not be a head knocker.

The second is completed a new scale with site glass.  Here are the before and after pictures:

Before:

After:

Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

Thank You Sponsors!