iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Slime in a skidder tire?

Started by barbender, November 30, 2010, 11:29:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barbender

This probably sounds stupid, but has anyone ever tried using Slime tire sealant in a forestry tire? I have a tire on my skidder that goes flat overnight, the tire shop told me $175 minimum to patch the tube. I thought maybe for as slow of a leak as it it, the ol Slime might plug it up. I've only used it on ATV tires and wheelbarrows etc. Would it make the tube unpatchable or anything?
Too many irons in the fire

tyb525

It may work, but later on you won't be able to patch it if it continues to leak. The slime will keep patches from sticking to the tube.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

beenthere

What is the cost of the slime that is enough to fix a leak in a skidder tire?

I priced it for a small lawn tractor tire, and thought it was way too expensive.  ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

tyb525

And the tire repair place might just charge you more to fix it, in the future, with slime in it - if they want to mess with it at all at that point ;).
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

barbender

It is spendy, I think around $10 for a quart. Probably call for 2 gallons for a skidder tire ::) I bought 1 quart and used it for 1. wheelbarrow tire 2. tiller tire 3. lawn mower tire 4. trailer tire - and I only used half of it. So I thought it was well worth it for those tires, seems like I did a couple of the kid's bike tires too.

barbender

I know tire shops don't like the green surprise.

Dougofthenorth

There is a better & newer commercial product on the market that is used to replace calcium/H2O filling.
Adds weight, isn't corrosive & I believe seals leaks.

Slime states it is not for tubed tires.   
Regards,
Dougofthenorth
Save Turtles: www.turtleshelltortue.org

bill m

About 8 years ago I did a 7 acre clearing of Buckthorn and Hawthorn. After plugging the front tires (tubeless) every morning for a week I used the white stuff from tractor supply. One quart for each tire and no more flats for the rest of the job.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Autocar

My two cents I wouldn't use it here this fall I had a flat on my skidder and the tire people used some kind of slim to get the tire remounted. Later on I busted it down myself and mounted a new tire, the tube the pipe that protects the valve stim was full of slim and the tube was so sticky that it picked up every thing that was loose because of the slim.
Bill

JayG

I used a similar product in the tires on the off road lift (piggyback?)that I carried on my 18 wheeler. I delivered bricks, lumber, steel, pipe and anything else that would fit on a 45' flatbed. I had a real good selection of nails, screws and a short piece of small rebar collected in those tires. No leak issues. Of course the tires were considerably smaller, something like 30 x 15.5 x 15 tubeless. I bought the sealer at a tire whole supply and it was quite reasonable. I think 5 gals was about $75 and would do alot of sealing. I used only a pint per tire. It said on the bucket that it would seal up to (FIRC) 1/4 hole. It worked great for my situation. When I replaced tires, I would just powerwash the wheels and would be "good to go"!

tlandrum

put a new tube in it. ive never had any luck patching skidder tires. my tubes cost me 250 each and took me about 3 hours to put one in.
www.wickedworksaw.com
wickedworksaw@gmail.com
Husqvarna and jonsered dealer
chainsaw porting for high production work saws

Ed_K

ask for natural casing tubes,their thicker than radial tubes and last alot longer.My last flat repair was $175. in the woods.The service guy used some type of grease all over the rim to make the tube blow up easier and not wear on the the rim as the tire bounces over rocks and stumps.
Ed K

barbender

If I made my living with this skidder I would probably just get a new tube, but its just a part time sideline firewood type of thing for me. I've used it for the last 2 weeks and then it will probably sit for a few months before I have work for it again. The point is, I don't have to depend on it every day. I just don't want to have to air up the tire every morning. In fact, this morning it wasn't even flat. I was going to try the slime, but I would have had to take the valvestem out and let the air out. I'll save it for tomorrow :) I know where it's leaking, I can see where a limb scratched along the rim and then migrated into the tire, it  must've got under the bead and poked the tube. I was running down some really bushy pine with the blade to bust the limbs off before I limbed it with the chainsaw, hard on tires I guess :)Anyhow, next time it's flat I'm sliming it, if it's a failure you that advised me against it can say "told you so!" :D

ErikC

I have used it on backhoe tires with good results. Tubeless though, but it works good on big tires. I used a quart in each.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

timberjake

i've used it on 4 different tires, two worked two didn't.  Seemed to be determined by hole size and location.  On one tire we pulled out the tube put a tubeless valve in the rim an ran it tubeless with no problems yet (about 6 months).  On another machine that is idle a lot the tire held air for a couple of months but once it was parked a while the tire went flat again.  Seems like the slime will drain away from the hole after sitting long enough.  It's certainly worth a shot IMO, and the tire guys don't have to like it as long as they don't charge more :).
"Never hire a man who doesn't wear suspenders and smokes.  If he ain't lighting a cigarette he's pullin up his pants."

rfm7fxfox

they make slime for tubed tires just gotta find it but i think it comes in pretty small sizes (for kids bicycle tires etc...) but its out there i dont quite know what the difference is ive used both types on tubed tires and it worked fine, never had to use it on my skidder tires but if i had to i might...in your situation i would give it a shot but for someone like me who uses the skidder every day i think i would get a new tube...let us know how it works!
Dolmar 7900, Ported Dolmar 7910, Ported Johnsered 2172, J-Red 2186, Ported Husky 385, Ported J-Red 2258,Tree Farmer C5D,Timberjack 460 D.A. Grapple, 2015 KMC 2500 Grapple Track Skidder and 2005 Peterbilt 379 Logtruck

Thank You Sponsors!