Started by Bill Johnson, November 30, 2010, 03:52:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Johnson

NB Logger almost hauls away artwork he mistook for woodpile
SACKVILLE, N.B. — The Canadian Press
Published Monday, Nov. 29, 2010 4:26PM EST

Last updated Monday, Nov. 29, 2010 4:28PM EST

The sculpture "Deadfall Sleep" 

A New Brunswick logger is unrepentant after beginning to dismantle a wood pile that turned out to be a sculpture titled "Deadfall Sleep."

Ron Fahey of Sackville said Monday he was granted permission in August from Mount Allison University to take the logs stacked in an area behind the president's residence alongside a water fowl park in the town.

"I got the OK to just take the wood and to me, it was just a pile of wood. If that's art then I'm in the wrong racket," he said.

"I guess I'm not cultured."

He said he was going to use it for firewood and had started to haul some of the wood away on Saturday when the town manager came rushing over to ask if he had permission to touch it.

Fahey, 59, realized the mistake and stopped working on the pile, though he'd already pulled several logs off.

Andrea Ward, the facilities manager at Mount Allison University, said there was confusion over which pile of wood Fahey was to dismantle behind the historic Cranewood residence on the campus.

"Basically we said, 'We don't think the wood you're looking at is on your property, but we do have some wood on our property if you're interested,' " she said.

The three-year-old art work is by local sculptor Paul Griffin and is displayed on a town website that advertises the community as the cultural capital of Canada.

Griffin says the town commissioned the work for $5,000 and it has two large maples entwined on top of a two-metre high stack of deadwood gathered from the forest.

"It's right in the middle of a water fowl park. That's one logger that's pretty hungry for a piece of wood," said the sculptor.

Nearby, there's a stump covered in galvanized roofing nails, another portion of Griffin's sculpture.

He said he plans to put the sculpture back together.

"I think I'll have to have a sign put up, but part of the art is to work in harmony with nature surrounding it."

Griffin, who also works as a technician at the university's fine arts department, said he was relieved the incident wasn't a case of vandalism but rather the result of "an honest mistake."

"I'm from northern B.C. and I've been a logger. It strikes me as a bit humorous," he said.

"They're maybe a little overzealous for wood. Maybe there's a cold winter coming on."
Bill

SwampDonkey

Here's the "sculpture".

http://www.sackville.com/culture/sculpture_sackville/paul_griffin

Looks like a pile of kitchen stove wood to be bucked to me.  I'm with the logger on this one. :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Woodhauler

Firewood for sure! If thats art then i'm the next picasso!!!!! ;D
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Jeff

Fa Fa Fa Fa Fa FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS ??!!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Woodhauler

2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

SwampDonkey

Most expensive pile of pulp wood on the continent. :D :D :D

Come cut mine Woodhauler, on the woodlot, we'll be multimillionaires. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

isawlogs

Who'd a thought that that was a peice of art !!!!!!   ::) ::)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

pigman

Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

isawlogs

Would you like to commission a peice or two Bob , Me and Jeff could probably fix you up between the two of us mighty quickly  :)  !!!!
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

SwampDonkey

I think it's even more beautiful in the stove making coals and heat. :D

Dave Shepard

Looks like a trailer load of pulpwood, without the trailer. I have seen some really creative works of art. That, isn't one of them.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Jasperfield

Even in the most liberal use of the term "art" we know that isn't it.

What we don't know is the value of the second woodpile.

Slabs

Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

SwampDonkey

You've really got to shake your head.  ::)

Bandmill Bandit

If that is art I am Leanardo Davinci.

The only thing that pile is good for is fire wood and thats a stretch.

OK I had another look at the picture. Also noted that it is in New Brunswick in Canada which is the same country that Alberta is in and guess what thats where i live. Let me say it this way! There are a lot a red necks in this neck of the woods but the red necks in that part of the woods have blue noses too. if your south of the mason/Dickson line you will know what I mean. Chances are if that guy gets a divorce he will need a court to tell him if the female is still his sister after the divorce is over. Lots a talent in that neck of the woods for fiddlen music and hard core tap dancin and such but callin that art is an insult to real artists that come from that part of the woods.

A funeral pyre is what any self respecting east Indian would call it and id support em on that call. That log on top could even pass for a corpse. I mean with a title like "Deadfall Sleep" how else could it be interpreted? Any one have a torch handy? A little flame would get  it a lot closer to real art then it is now. How much you wana bet some kid lights it one night.

Sam McGee would a lit that sucker in a heart beat and climbed right up on it too. http://wordinfo.info/unit/2640?letter=C&spage=26

A better title would be "A Pyre For Sam McGee". At least that would garner it some respect and give it some context.

Sam McGee's daughter was my elementary teacher in a 2 room country school house.

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

customsawyer

I have seen a Art and he didn't look anything like that.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Mooseherder

Musta been Gubmint sponsored culture. ;D

terrifictimbersllc

A few pieces short of a cord  8) 8) 8)

p.s. The artist wanted it to naturally go the way of all wood, which it almost did, if  the logger hadn't been so rudely interrupted.  How's come what humans do to things isn't considered part of Nature?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Peter Drouin

I feel sorry for the people who think thats art, :-\ :-\
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

nas

I've got art like that all over my log yard.  Most of the piles I'd sell for $5000 8)

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

fishpharmer

What a waste of perfectly good firewood.  Can't wait to see it in ten or twenty years. 

They can change the name to "mushroom awake" ::)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

doctorb

If you take the time to study that wood pile long enough.....you've got too much time on your hands. 

Doctorb
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

SwampDonkey

Like Moose said. Wasteful spending is why we are $8 Billion in the hole "in this place". Anyone want to start a golf course? :D

Cedarman

Mr. Griffin,  you are inspirational.
I have sold old gnarly stumps to ladies that gave me $200.00 for the privelege of having my stump in their flower garden.  And they hauled it.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Faron

You guys are missing the boat.  I, too, am an artist.  I think every small city within a 100 mile radius of Otwell needs a little culture like this.  I believe I can fill that need at $5000 per work of art. ;D
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

northwoods1

Quote from: Peter Drouin on November 30, 2010, 09:09:11 PM
I feel sorry for the people who think thats art, :-\ :-\

Yes after looking at a pic of that I just shake my head and don't know what to say,, but I definitely feel sorry for them too :(

I think it is hilarious though reading the artists interpretation of it and reasons for making it :D :D excuse me for saying,,, but what a dimwit!! I'd like to take him on a tour of the Louvre or the Sistine Chapel and show him what real art looks like bet he would be dumbfounded...

Mooseherder

There is a gallery picture here of someone's cordwood pile with the depiction of a tree with it's many branches outlined throughout the cordwood row.

Now dat is art. ;)
Whooze da owner of said picture?

DeepWoods

If my tax dollars were spent to commission that pile of "art", I would vote the person who commissioned it out of office.
Norwood LM2000 with 23 HP Briggs and 21 foot track, Hand Built Logging Arch, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener and Setter. 48" Xtreme Duty Logrite Cant Hook.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: DeepWoods on December 01, 2010, 09:18:06 AM
If my tax dollars were spent to commission that pile of "art", I would vote the person who commissioned it out of office.

We did, most of the whole dang bunch of bums this past September. :D :D

beenthere

Quote from: Mooseherder on December 01, 2010, 08:25:33 AM
There is a gallery picture here of someone's cordwood pile with the depiction of a tree with it's many branches outlined throughout the cordwood row.

Now dat is art. ;)
Whooze da owner of said picture?

I think it is an "internet" pic, as I've seen it passed around for several years. But it was art, unlike the woodpile.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

DouginUtah

I posted this picture several years ago...

https://forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10332/woodpile.jpg

It is the picture of the tree in the woodpile.
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

fishpharmer

What do they say?  "Its in the eye of the beholder." 

Doug, in my mind, that wood pile is much more creative than the previous pile.  After I took some pics, I would still feed the fire with it.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Bandmill Bandit

Now that wood pile qualifies as art and it wasn't even commissioned i bet. probably some mom or dad or both with a few kids that needed a reason to stack the wood up real nice. I would love to know the story behind that one. In fact i would like an original of that to print and hang on my wall.

OK I found the artist behind the tree in the wood pile. http://alastairheseltine.com  Now this guy knows art with wood.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Jeff

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ErikC

Everybody has their abilities. That guy may not be an artist, but he must make a DanG fine sales pitch. :D :D
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

northwoods1

That horse is really good it must have taken a lot of time to select all those different pieces of wood, and the design of the horse is right on :)

Warbird

Quote from: isawlogs on November 30, 2010, 05:42:21 PM

Who'd a thought that that was a peice of art !!!!!!   ::) ::)

I thought it was a piece-of-something but if I tried to say what, Jeff would toss me in da woodshed.  Unbelievable.

Peter Drouin

Now the horse is art . that takes talent.  8) 8)   Like the rest of us .cut down a tree and make lumber   8) 8) 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WH_Conley

Bill

Bandmill Bandit

hi every body
I talked to the guy that did the tree in the wood pile piece today. he and his wife stacked that as they split it for the winter wood supply. that was 2 years ago. the pile is charcoal now and he didn't even take any high res pics of it. they just do the stuff for the fun of it. That is genuine art. they do something new every year. i gave him the forum address. said they might join. guess we'll see.

Warbird

It would be pretty cool to chat with them.  And to see more pictures of real art.

pappy

Me tinks I'm in the wrong bees knees as we's guts all kinds a sticks 'round this place to make millions...   ::)  :D  ;D
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

RPF2509

Another artist who can make extraordinary things out of natural material is Andy Goldsworthy.  The movie 'Rivers and Tides' really speaks to anyone who likes the natural world

Jeff

[lmgtfy]Andy Goldsworthy videos[/lmgtfy]   :)

Thank You Sponsors!