iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Repair lion

Started by kelLOGg, November 30, 2010, 05:12:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelLOGg

A friend has a chainsawed lion with some damage to the base. It looks like it is made of pine. Any suggestions for restoring the base and treating the lion to make it durable outdoors?
Bob

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

beenthere

He will need to keep it dry. No rain, and low humidity.

Repair? Will likely need to remove all decayed wood (looks extensive in the pic) and replace with sound wood. Then trim to fit.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

kelLOGg

What do you think about wrapping the base with flashing and pouring some wood filler compound or potting material to fill out the base? The appearance of the base is not as important as the lion itself (which is in pretty good shape) so if there is a mismatch in the color that may be OK. I'm afraid to cut off the base since what is left of it now does provide some support.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

WoodHacker

I'd make a base from new wood then separate the lion from it's decayed base.  Use a wood hardener on any soft wood in the lions feet.  Liquid super glue works well.  Then attach the lion to it's new base by running Timberlok screws up from the bottom and putting a little Gorilla glue, mixed with sawdust, under the feet to fill any space.

The rest can be spruced up by sanding with a 4" angle grinder and course {50 grit} sanding pad to remove weathered surface wood and cured Gorilla glue.  Darken the nose and various shadows by burning with a propane torch.  Sand to remove unwanted burn around the nose.  Then seal either with oil or spar varnish.  Reseal at least the end grain annually if exposed to weather

Or....  have him send $500 plus shipping and I'll carve him a new one :)
Butch

Thank You Sponsors!