iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cold Weather Soup

Started by Norm, November 29, 2010, 04:53:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

Some crappy cold and rainy weather always makes me think of soup for supper. One of my favorites is french onion soup.

Pretty quick and easy to make. Just brown a couple of sweet onion in some butter, add a good stock of choice with some herbs and voila!

Simmer for a half hour and then top with a good hard bread and some gruyere cheese. No gruyere cheese sold in our small town but!

When Steve and Jill came over they brought some awesome cheese. This is what I'll use to top it with.

So what's everyone's favorite soup for a day like this?

beenthere

Quote from: Norm on November 29, 2010, 04:53:44 PM
.........So what's everyone's favorite soup for a day like this?

Sauerkraut from da Rox.    8)

Rain just made it up here.
:) 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Home made chicken noodle soup was for dinner and potato scallop with left over roast pork cubed up for suppa.  :)

Beautiful blue skies here. ;)  Quick meals to warm up are nice when a fella is working away in the shop. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

As of right now, mine is french onion  :D.  Whoa that looks good.  Real, Real, GOOD!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jasperfield

Potato soup w/grilled cheese sandwich.

Magicman

Hambone and vegetable soup with yellow cornbread.  Now them's good groceries !!!   :D

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Burlkraft

Hey Norm...

Jill is crying about wanting some soup now   :-\  :-\

I'll send her down  ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

SwampDonkey

Sounds like she's hungry and you gave away the good cheese. I'd be blat'n to. :D :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Roxie

When I've got all day, my favorite is ham and navy bean.  When I want soup in under a half hour, my favorite is cream of cauliflower:

2 Tbsp butter
1 large onion diced
1 head cauliflower florets (about 4 cups)
6-7 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup heavy cream

Saute onions in butter in stock pot.  Add broth and cauliflower and simmer medium until florets start to fall apart.  Puree soup in blender (in several batches) and return to pot.  Stir in cream and reheat.  Season with a pinch of cayenne. 

Topped with a sprinkle of chopped chives and served with crusty bread. 

Say when

Jeff

I'm going to make soup for supper with the rest of the left over Turkey. Can't give you the recipe yet cause I aint invented it yet. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Magicman

No recipe soup is the best kind.   digin1 

Our leftover turkey went into turkey salad, and I had a sandwich for lunch.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

The left over turkey I have is a little dry, so I have it hydrating in some chicken broth for the afternoon.  :)  I strained and saved all the juices from the turkey, but I froze that and its still thawing, so chiken broth it is for infusion. :)

Jeff

Tammy just told me how good supper was. Even had the neighbor come in that was delivering girl scout cookies to come in and have some.  :D

I'm calling it Turkey Gamelli Soup.

1 medium onion chopped and cooked in 1/4 cup broth chicken broth used in the step below. Use Microwave for about 3 minutes
2 cups cooked left over turkey breast covered with one can chicken broth for 4 hours
In large soup pan add to
1.5 cups left over thanksgiving turkey broth + 6 cups water

add two cups Gemelli Pasts cooked Al dente
1 can large vegtable VegAll RINSED!!

season with about a tablespoon of the season mix pictured below, bplus some additional

basil
pepper
touch of salt

Served with homemade bread  :)

Patty

Yummy! Now I am hungry all over again!

Soup is my favorite fall meal, it warms a body through and through.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Burlkraft

We had pot roast a couple of nights ago.

I just let everything meld in the dutch oven and yesterday added veggies and we had pot roast soup.

Jill claimed to not like broth soups, but she liked this  ;D  ;D

I don't have any pictures 'cuz we ate it before I could get one  ::) ::)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

pappy19

This is the one that all my clan wants me to make.

Pappy's Chicken Soup

5 cups chicken stock
2 cups vegetable stock
4+  boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cubed(or what have you)
1 large onion, diced
1 large carrot, sliced thin
2 stalks celery, sliced thin
½ cup red lentils
¼ cup pearl barely
1 cup yellow split peas
¼ cup brown rice
¼ cup wild rice
¼ cup parsley
1 ½ tsp. Italian seasoning
1 bay leaf
salt to taste
fresh ground pepper to taste
¼ tsp. Cayenne pepper
¼ cup white rice
8 medium mushrooms, sliced thick
4+  garlic cloves, minced

Combine all but the last three ingredients in a large pot. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat to a simmer and let it cook for about an hour, stirring regularly to keep it from catching the bottom of the pot. If it gets too thick, add some additional water or stock. When the peas and lentils are cooked, add the white rice, mushrooms, and garlic, then cook another 25 minutes.  Remove the bay leaf and serve.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

Kansas

Norm, what are you using for stock in your soup? I'm used to always seeing beef broth, but it appears you are using something different. It's going to be cold this weekend, I'm working all of it, and I think crock pot cooking is in order.

Norm

Morning Kansas,

I use chicken stock for the french onion soup. My favorite way to make it is to use the leftover carcass from beer but chicken. I put it and a couple of carrots, a couple of celery stocks, an onion, s&p, and a bay leaf in water. This simmers for a couple of hours and is then run through a fine sieve.

You can use beef stock also and most call for wine in the soup. I don't like the flavor of either so this is my version.

scgargoyle

When it gets 'cold' here in FL (below 80) we call it Gumbo Weather. I make Chicken and Sausage Gumbo, using my own homemade andouille sausage. It's a got a good heat to it. I also make a monster loaf of sourdough bread to go with, and serve it over rice. As a matter of fact, it's supposed to get down to the 30's this week........
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Kansas

Well its 4 days later than I planned, but I finally got the french onion soup in the crockpot this morning. Two big sweet onions carmelized in butter and a little olive oil on the stovetop, along with a little garlic. Put that in the crockpot and added a bay leaf and some thyme. Just a touch of brandy. A little bit of freshly cracked black pepper. Couldn't decide what to use for stock, so I compromised and used both some chicken broth and beef broth. Swansons, not homemade. I never have made homemade stock, would love to try it sometime. I have french bread and gruyere cheese to use to top it tonight.  I don't know if I am forgetting something to put in there, but it sure smells good while I am home for lunch.

Norm

That sounds perfect!

Many recipes call for both beef and chicken stock so I'm betting yours will be great.  :)

Raider Bill

Quote from: Burlkraft on December 02, 2010, 08:43:55 AM
We had pot roast a couple of nights ago.

I just let everything meld in the dutch oven and yesterday added veggies and we had pot roast soup.

Jill claimed to not like broth soups, but she liked this  ;D  ;D

I don't have any pictures 'cuz we ate it before I could get one  ::) ::)

Plant based pot roast? :P :P
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Magicman

I see a buncha soup, but only two instances of what your eat with your soup.  It's well known that we always have yellow cornbread.

Jeff had a picture of well buttered homemade bread.

Yellow cornbread in the Magichome.

What do you have?

SwampDonkey

A think northern cornbread is a little different. Our cornbread is from real fine meal, we don't cook the meal before baking it with the rest of the ingredients. It cooks as it bakes. The course meal we can also buy, but has to be cooked like cereal first or you'll think your chewing sand. ;) But, I usually just eat some buttered multi-grain bread sometimes a cracker on top of the soup. My cornbread I make with berries in it and a pinch of nutmeg, I eat it with morning coffee or an afternoon herbal tea. Grandma made cornbread or else what we call steam brown bread (with fine cornmeal and molasses) to eat with home baked beans. ;D Buttermilk biscuits, bread or crackers was with soup. ;)

ScottAR

Yellow cornbread with soup and chili...  Grilled cheese is good with the leftovers of either for lunch either on the side or busted up in the liquid.  mmmmmmmmmm...
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Thank You Sponsors!