iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Leather Work

Started by Radar67, November 28, 2010, 09:28:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radar67

Dale, that's not the leather I was having trouble with. I was using a remnants pack that had that leather and many other types in it, but nothing that resembles the true veggie tanned leather I brought home from new Orleans. I have some of it casing as we speak.

That knife sure did open my eyes, I cut leather with it last night and it scared the bejesus out of me. Scary Sharp comes to mind when the leather melted like butter at the push of that blade.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

SwampDonkey

Heck, I don't even like to use a ceramic knife. Those are wicked sharp to.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

tmroper

Radar
That is one nice looking head knife you should enjoy it.  I really like the damascas and the handle.  Who made it?  The one I use the most is handmade also but not damascus.  It was a birthday gift from a neighbor.  I still remember when I was young and just starting to do my own saddle repairs since my dad insisted.  At that time I hated the head knife but dad forced me to use it.  I was using it and the knife slipped through a firm spot in the leather and I slice right throgh the top of my thumbnail like butter.  Also cut one of my knuckles half off when I was younger.  It will sure teach you to keep your hands out of the way real fast.  When I have a visitor to my shop they alway oooh and aaaah over the big sewing machines but I always pick up my head knife and tell them that is by far the most used tool  to a saddlemaker.  In reality you hardly ever use a sewing machine compared to time in construction of most products. Your sheath looks real good.
Keep at it.

Stan,
I was fortunate or unfortunate however a fella wants to look at it to have several neighbors who did some silverwork and picked it up from them.  I started practicing on copper and sharpening the tips of old files for gravers.  I started off push graving and would reccomend this route for learning.  Hope this answers your question.
Good Luck on your ventures

Kevin

How did you come up with the pattern?

Radar67

TM, the knife is an Al Stohlman brand that I picked up at Tandy Leather.

Kevin, if you look close at the first picture, you can see my drawing of the blade on the surface of the leather. I used that as a base and designed my own pattern. I have a copy traced on construction paper. I also saw a close design in a book on tools.

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

Kevin

On something like that, once the outline is traced on paper I would fold the paper in half, cut the edge even, open up the folded pattern and trace it onto the leather.
Both sides of the pattern are even then.

Stan snider

Radar, that is an sharp knife you have there, metephorically and literally. The clasp on your holster would do more good against the blade than in the middle of the handle. When you put her to bed you don't want her out prowlin around. :D  Stan
  tm roper thanks for the reply .

Radar67

Stan, I plan to hang this sheath on my bench when I get it designed and built, so gravity should keep the prowling down.  ;D

I worked on this this evening for my daughter. It will be an arm cuff when it is done.

Tom

How did y'all get started working in leather, visit a Tandy store and start buying retail?

Radar67

Tom, I ran into a group of people in Louisiana, during a convention, who had several items of leather goods on their table. I started talking to them and found out they were going to give a talk about leather later that day. I went to the talk and became interested in doing it myself. They stuck a stamped piece of leather in my hand, gave me the dye to color it and helped add the straps, I was hooked. My daughters pushed me into it as well, considering I got leather tools for my birthday this year.

I visited Tandy online, ordered a catalog and wore the pages out. I bought a few items retail, but soon decided I had to go the wholesale route.

Raider Bill

Stew do you pre punch those holes and used one of those threading awls?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Radar67

Bill, I did on the knife sheath. I used a drill to pre-punch the holes.

ibseeker

I inherited my Grandpa's leather working tools but haven't pursued using them but this thread sparks an interest. After reading all of this it's going to take some research to make it worthwhile. Do you guys find this to be a relaxing hobby or is it like golf?
Chuck
worn out poulan, Stihl 250SC, old machete and a bag of clues with a hole in the bottom

Magicman

I've never picked up a golf club.   ;D    :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

My father never did before he retired. I never will. That's for fella's with nothing to do.  ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Radar67

I've played a few rounds of golf, so probably can answer your question. I find working with leather relaxing. I can spend a few hours on it and lose track of time.

Here is a good primer to read on how to carve leather
http://www.onestopcandle.com/leather/carveinstr01.php

It gives a good basic idea of what is involved. It helps if you are a little artistic, but you don't have to be.

Now, as for golf, I find it relaxing as well, cause I get the chance to whack that ball around and take out stuff on people that deserve it. You just have to be able to imagine their face on that little ball. I didn't say I was very good at it, but I can get the ball in the hole.....eventually.  ;D

SwampDonkey

Dad's routine is golf, garden, couch. :D His cousin retired and said he wasn't going to do anything, and didn't. :D

Kevin

Hold up inside today so I made an axe hanger for my belt.
It's an old chest handle I had on my work bench that I didn't have a use for until now.

Radar67

Nice work Kevin. I just picked up a couple of basket weave stamps to try out. My daughters got me a knife sheath kit for Christmas, so it may be my practice piece.

SwampDonkey

Be careful walking with an axe on your hip Kevin.  ;)

Magicman

I thought that was a wallet with a handle large enough so that you could finally hold on to your money.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kevin

Donk, it shouldn't be any more dangerous than flying down a hill standing up on a waxed sled.  :D
Magic, if I was making that wallet for you I would have put a shackle on it for the crane to grab onto.  ;D

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Kevin on January 14, 2011, 09:10:51 AM
Donk, it shouldn't be any more dangerous than flying down a hill standing up on a waxed sled.  :D

Snow is softer than a steel edge. ;D

But then again, it will be hard frozen into ice, so maybe not so soft. Could get ice rash I suppose. ;D

Kevin

Matching wedge pouch, holds two 8 inch wedges.

SwampDonkey

You fellas are pretty clever with your leather works I would have to say  :)

Thank You Sponsors!