iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mobil home built of rough cut lumber

Started by Slingshot, November 28, 2010, 08:27:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slingshot

Jasperfield

Magicman

I enjoyed that video.  Bet the Amish didn't like the camera.    ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

That was a good video to watch.
The amish made good use of the tire.

That a mobile home or their RV camper?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

inspectorwoody

r.man

Nice video. I think that I would have opted to adapt the hitch and stand on the porch just in case I fell off. Do the Amish object to camera's? I would prefer to just ask an Amish person this but I don't know any.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

buildthisfixthat

excellent clip now i want to do that .....new state wide building codes here in maine go into effect tommorow lumber has to be kiln dried grade ..its going to cost a lot more to build thats for sure just the permit fees are going to triple
shop built bandsaw mill

sandhills

That's a neat video, love to see teams at work and you just don't get to much anymore, thanks for that.

pigman

Quote from: r.man on November 28, 2010, 10:42:55 PM
. Do the Amish object to camera's? I would prefer to just ask an Amish person this but I don't know any.
Yes, they prefer not to have their picture taken. They won't fight or anything like that, but just rather not have their picture taken. It has to do with their religious beliefs.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Kansas

I asked the Amish that when they put up the cedar logs on my house. They said they would just as soon not, but they understood if I did. I don't think I took more than one or two pics of them, and that was from long distance.

fishpharmer

Amazing what can be done with old technology.  I enjoyed that video.

Now all they need is to plug up one of those Amish Heaters you see on TV. :D :D
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

weisyboy

god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia
www.weisssawmilling.com.au
http://www.youtube.com/user/weisyboy?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000696669814&sk=photos

Slingshot

Go to the You-Tube link of the video and there sre several more
videos of the Amish and barn raisings, etc. Maybe some of them
don't mind too much.
  I happened upon that one and thought it rather interesting.

sling_shot

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

wannasaw

to the best of my knowledge here in Ga. the building is not taxable if its portable, and that is why our next one that's in the works now is going to be built on 4x6 skids sittin on 12"x12"x 4" pads. we already have 1 like it and it's got enough wood drying in it to hold it down. I think there will be alot of that here until the code catches up. Nice video! The cold ground/snow helps too cause mine was not that easy to move.
LT28 70something Int'l Backhoe loader  Kubota L285, Husky 55, F-250 7.3, 12'x6' single axle trailer, Kubota RTV900 w/remote hyd. Iron will...

sigidi

What a magic use of technology! I love it!!
Always willing to help - Allan

Brad_bb

The Amish heater!  Ha ha.  Nice infomercial.  Do they have that infomercial down under too Weisyboy?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

AvT

Fantastic video.  I think I envy the Amish
Wannabe sawyer, Cord King M1820 firewood processor Palax KS35 Ergo firewood Processor, 5403 John Deere, Bunch of other farm equipment,   LT70 Remote Woodmizer.  All good things but the best things in life are free.. If you don't believe me.. hold your breath for 2 minutes

Wrangler55

Quote from: buildthisfixthat on November 28, 2010, 10:43:31 PM
excellent clip now i want to do that .....new state wide building codes here in maine go into effect tommorow lumber has to be kiln dried grade ..its going to cost a lot more to build thats for sure just the permit fees are going to triple

We have the same situation here with regard to building codes.  I'm going to build a timber frame barn.  It's amazing how much a timber frame barn looks like a workshop or house... It's going to be a part time construction project so it might take a long time to complete.  Later if I have the time, money and interest, I'll do a major renovation and make it into a more useful structure. I may even put in all the electric and plumbing that would be hard to add later.

Hal
I'm so covered with sawdust, my nickname should be dusty...

Raider Bill

What are the 2 wheels behind the shed for?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Dave Shepard

I think they used it to attach another team to go up the hill.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Raider Bill

I knew I was opening myself up on that one. I thought it was some kind of tiller at first. ;D ;D
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

easymoney

some of the neighboring counties around here have those crazy building codes that say you have to use kil dried lumber from the big box stores. even the amish run building supply stores that resemble lowes.  i heard that one of the neighboring counties have a restriction that says you can not build with oak lumber as the nails will deteriate and the building will fall apart. i would like to see some of them try to tear down some of the 100 year old houses and barns around here. seems to me the nails are holding on pretty good.

isawlogs

Ya well those nails hold up pretty darn good in a tree that is live, let alone when it is cut down and the blade finds them.  :o
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

isawlogs

Raider,
    That set of wheels they use to hitch four more horses to the front of the eight already hooked to the " mobile home " the wheels are actualy a riding dolly the the horse driver stands on to drive his horses.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Thank You Sponsors!