iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ballpark price for rough cut hemlock?

Started by jbos333, November 28, 2010, 02:56:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbos333

Hi. I was just trying to put together some figures for a pole barn/cabin I'm looking to build in 2011. I figured I'd ask here for a ballpark number on rough sawn hemlock for board/batt siding. I realize it can vary greatly by region but I'm building in Cattaraugus county, New York. Quite a few Amish mills around there, but it's Sunday so I can't ask any of them. And it's usually too late when I get home from work to take a ride out there.

laffs

timber harvester,tinberjack230,34hp kubota,job ace excavator carpenter tools up the yingyang,

Peter Drouin

Boards like 1" .45 to .65 .2" .65 to .80 . 4x4 .6x6 8x8  and the like .80 to 1.50 a bf. over 20' 2.00 to 3.50 a bf +  8) 8) 8) 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

SwampDonkey

The floors and roof in this old place are hemlock. I know that doesn't help on pricing. But, some of you boys sure get a good price for hemlock. Do well to get 25 or 30 cents a foot here.

Now, western hemlock, that's an entirely different beast as far as price.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

morbid fury

Just today I unloaded 50 - 2x4s and 50 - 1x4 boards all 8-foot for .50 a bdft.
I don`t have any issues selling it at .50 a board foot.
If at first you don`t succed, skydiving is not for you.
Thomas 2411
Husky 266xp
Honda 850 sportsman
Thomas log Arch
Happiness is a fresh pile of sawdust

SwampDonkey

Nor do I. Get all the market will stand, I say. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

bugdust

In WV I sell hemlock for .50/bdft. It's beginning to be more of a problem getting hemlock due to a slow market and only certain mills willing to saw it. I try not to cut mine so I'll have enough for my own use. Last logs delivered by the customer were poor condition (some may recall my post addressing dissatisfied customer), but as of late no problems.
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

jbos333

Thanks all for the swift replies! I will throw a figure of .50/ft on it for figuring purposes, then. That should be close enough for now.

sgschwend

Your east coast prices are not very similar to the west.  Are you box store prices as low or lower?
Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

Ron Wenrich

Box store prices are lower.  But, I saw my dimension lumber to true size, so there is more wood in the product.  I think a lot depends on the project. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

woodmills1

40 cents one inch 8 foot to 85 cents 2 inch 16 foot
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

sgschwend

Our box store prices are much higher than that.  I would guess about $.40 for unspecified species.  

I know the lumber yards offer Douglas Fir at about $.70/bf, they also have hem/fir for a little less.
Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

SwampDonkey

Western hemlock is a finer wood to work with than eastern hemlock. You can't get much more than $70 a cord for logs roadside around here. 95% of it is left to stand or rot in the woods. They are most often sap sucker peck wood. Need a bounty on the darn things. I had 6 hammering away at a yard red pine last spring. They come back to it each spring.

vahighlander

Quote from: woodmills1 on November 29, 2010, 05:09:10 PM
40 cents one inch 8 foot to 85 cents 2 inch 16 foot

Why is 2 inch material over 100% more per bd. ft than 1 inch??
WM LT35HD, Stihl saws, Kubota M5700, Massey Ferguson 2750e, Wallenstein FX65Winch, Woodland Mills WC88 chipper

Jeff

Its probably the 16ft that is more than the 8ft. not the 4/4/ versus 8/4.  Longer lengths are usually always more money. Longer logs are harder to come by, cost more to haul, and are harder to handle at the mill.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

vahighlander

Quote from: Jeff on November 30, 2010, 09:17:36 PM
Its probably the 16ft that is more than the 8ft. not the 4/4/ versus 8/4.  Longer lengths are usually always more money. Longer logs are harder to come by, cost more to haul, and are harder to handle at the mill.

??? If I charged over twice as much per bd ft for dimensional lumber regardless of 8 foot versus 16 , I wouldn't sell much pine or hemlock.  I actually saw more bd ft per hour with 16 foot logs and my loggers prefer to deliver 16s....?
WM LT35HD, Stihl saws, Kubota M5700, Massey Ferguson 2750e, Wallenstein FX65Winch, Woodland Mills WC88 chipper

vahighlander

Forgot to add my $$ prices for my hemlock-

$.55 per bd foot regardless of 4/4, 6/4 or 8/4...  up to 7 inches wide

8 inches or wider  $.70

12 inches or wider $.80

now over 16 feet is a special item priced per job.....

woodmills1

most of our local hemlock won't give much in the way of 16 foot logs, and the ones that do have a lot of taper

I usually have to buy them at around 25 to 35 cents

I sell most of my pine for 50 cents, with only a premium on wide clear
I always have pine logs

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

captain_crunch

Man I need to move east ;D Box stores sell dressed 2X6X12' fer 3.59 ea ::) ::) Around here we only use hemlock for door and window stiles beings hemlock don't take Western Oregon weather very well
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

SwampDonkey

The old time belief around here is that hemlock is very rot resistant. And it's no better than spruce, if as good. My uncle still insists it's true because of some buildings and houses were built from it. Never stopped to think it was a secondary product during the tannin era. The tree was cut, so might as well mill it and it tended to be big logs. In this house it was only in the floor and roof.

Magicman

We have many old homes that used SYP for siding and roofing.  That was old growth heart lumber.  Better not use today's fast growth SYP.  Same thing with Cypress.  I saw a lot of Cypress.  Better use it for inside paneling or under a porch.  Use it as siding and it will rot.

Of course, I talking about untreated bare lumber.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

This is a 44" local eastern Hemlock.

Used to be lots of these size around, now they are scarce in my area. There is a hardwood ridge down along the Presque Isle river below me and it has huge hemlock trees all through the maple and birch on that lot. Many in the area have been cut off neighboring lots from clear cut mentality. Also, in places the hares will trim them to death, leaving a tree with branches out to a club of trees (like a poodle). They look interesting if your into bonsai. They are suppressed in ring growth and hard as yew sometimes. :D

northwoods1

Quote from: Magicman on December 04, 2010, 01:22:48 PM
We have many old homes that used SYP for siding and roofing.  That was old growth heart lumber.  Better not use today's fast growth SYP.  Same thing with Cypress.  I saw a lot of Cypress.  Better use it for inside paneling or under a porch.  Use it as siding and it will rot.

Of course, I talking about untreated bare lumber.

I thought cypress was very rot resistant similar to cedar. Don't they use it for decks and outdoor stuff?

Magicman

Heart Cypress is very rot resistant.  Sapwood from Cypress is not.  It takes an old tree to be predominately heartwood. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

morbid fury

Another order out the door.....Hemlock 2x4x8, 2x4x10, 4x4x10, 120bdf 4/4 boards.
all at .50/bdft
If at first you don`t succed, skydiving is not for you.
Thomas 2411
Husky 266xp
Honda 850 sportsman
Thomas log Arch
Happiness is a fresh pile of sawdust

Thank You Sponsors!