iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stupid accident

Started by Chuck White, November 28, 2010, 10:04:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck White

Yesterday, while making a deer drive I lost footing and my left foot went forward and to the left, leaving the right one anchored into the previous step. 

All off the sudden I was on the ground and my right foot snapped around even with the left, only hurting like %&^@.  I swear I saw stars.

I checked to see if I still had full range of motion, and I did.  Whew, lucky.

As it turns out, I just have a (from what I've heard) mild-to-medium sprain!

It took me about 45-50 minutes to finish what should have been about 10 minutes of the drive.

Looks like I'll be off from driving bus for the week!  Oh well, I have lots of sick days!

But, it looks like my hunting season is done, unless an unfortunate comes into the meadow behind the house.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Norm

Ouch!

Glad to hear it wasn't worse.  :)

Patty

Oh I feel your pain! I sprained my ankle nearly 2 months ago, and it still is very painful and sore. I hope you heal quickly and get back on your feet soon.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

SwampDonkey

Chuck, do you think it is related to the footwear you had on? Sometimes the boots don't have good ankle support. I know I can't wear a pair of casual shoes or even sneakers near the woods.  ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

doctorb

OK - now you're in my wheelhouse!

Is the pain on the outside of the ankle or the inside?

You had it xrayed yet??

Can you bear weight or are you hopping along?

Sounds like it's time for a "virtual" examination of this ankle.  

Oh.  Every doctor wants to know if you're insured!  :D :D  Doctorb
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

pigman

Since the Doc is taking care of the ankle, I just want to know what you are calling "making a deer drive"? Are you driving the deer, or are you teaching a deer to drive? :-\
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

submarinesailor

Quote from: pigman on November 28, 2010, 11:11:05 PM
Since the Doc is taking care of the ankle, I just want to know what you are calling "making a deer drive"? Are you driving the deer, or are you teaching a deer to drive? :-\

Bob - GO TO YOUR ROOM!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Chuck White

Quote from: doctorb on November 28, 2010, 08:43:21 PM
OK - now you're in my wheelhouse!

a. Is the pain on the outside of the ankle or the inside? 

b. You had it xrayed yet?? 

c. Can you bear weight or are you hopping along? 

Sounds like it's time for a "virtual" examination of this ankle.  

Oh.  Every doctor wants to know if you're insured!  :D :D  Doctorb

a. Mostly across from the outer ankle bone to my middle toe.

b. Yes, yesterday.  The Doc said "mild to moderate" sprain, no black&blue.

c. I can bear weight, but limp noticibly.

SD; Probably related to footwear, I just had on "Northerner" rubber boots.

Thanks to all for your concerns.

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

I know that it's not in your nature, but you'll just have to relax for a while and let that ankle fix itself.  Of course, relaxing on a deer stand fixes the brain also.

Anyway, you've parked the mill, so what better things do you have in mind.?    ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

I'll probably head for a deer stand this coming weekend!  :)

Just won't be doing much walking.  ;)

We have a couple of shooting shacks overlooking foodplots that have a wooden fence where a wheeler can be hidden.  ;D

Tom

I wonder if taping the foot and ankle might help with the pain while you are "extra curriculating".

Patty

No black and blue! Well you are very fortunate. Mine still gets discolored if I am on it too many hours. I wonder if it was really broke, and the X-Rays missed it.

Sorry to steal your thread, but this has really knocked me out of commission, and I hate it. I try never to miss the opportunity to power whine about it!  :D
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

doctorb

Sprains run the entire gamut.  Some hurt like heck, bruise quite a bit and resolve in 3-6 weeks.  Others can be nagging injuries that can even lead to ankle instability.  If you have had many sprains of the same ankle over the years (and many of us have), and it seems to be happening more and more often with less and less degrees of trauma, then I would worry about a chronic ankle instability.

I am an old school guy, so I like to treat acute sprains with imobilization.  The degree of imobilization depends on the severity of the sprain and the mobility requirments of the patient.  Sprains, to the general public, sound minor becasue they don't require surgery and the "fracture" word is not in play.  Believe me, a simple fracture of the lateral malleolus (bone on the outside of the ankle) can get better faster than some sprains.

If you have to be active, I would suggest an aircast, which acts like an air cushioned stirrup that fits into soft shoes.  I have placed some people in walking boots, you know, with all the velcro straps that go up to the knee, to ease their pain and keep them walking during the first few weeks after a sprain.  The usual initial ice and elevation does really help.  If you can have some common sense (remember: not that common),stay off of it, and keep the swelling down, you'll be less painful and more mobile than if you try to fight it and continue your life as if this was nothing.  As mentioned here, taping is an option, but  you need someone who knows how to do it and you need it at least twice a day (it loosens), so it's not an option for most mortal walking wounded.  

A strenghtening program directed toward the muscles that counteract the direction of the sprain is a very good idea, once the pain subsides.  For most sprains, this means walking on your heels so you strengthen the muscles that pull your ankle up and out, as most sprains are located on the outside of the ankle joint toward the front (where Chuck's is!)  Heal well!!  

Patty- How long ago was your injury?

Doctorb
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

pineywoods

I'm with doctorb on the aircast, also known as an air splint. Wife wears one all day every day. Good one is about 40 bucks, well worth it. Works best with a good supportive shoe.
Another neat rick is a small child's 4 wheel scooter. Get one as close to knee height as possible, kneel the bad broke leg on the seat. Won't work in the woods  :)
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Chuck White

Quote from: doctorb on November 29, 2010, 05:29:45 PM
If you have to be active, I would suggest an aircast, which acts like an air cushioned stirrup that fits into soft shoes.  I have placed some people in walking boots, you know, with all the velcro straps that go up to the knee, to ease their pain and keep them walking during the first few weeks after a sprain.  The usual initial ice and elevation does really help.  If you can have some common sense (remember: not that common),stay off of it, and keep the swelling down, you'll be less painful and more mobile than if you try to fight it and continue your life as if this was nothing.  As mentioned here, taping is an option, but  you need someone who knows how to do it and you need it at least twice a day (it loosens), so it's not an option for most mortal walking wounded.  

Doctorb

Yup, they put an aircast on, right after the x-ray's were read.
The next day, I put a little air in it and it fit better.
I only take it off to shower.
When I have to go out, I slip my foot and cast into my hiking boot and don't lace too tightly.

Patty

I wrapped mine in ace-wrap right after the X-Rays, and kept it wrapped until about 3 weeks ago when I switched over to an elastic ankle support. (my sprain was about 8 weeks ago) The wrap helped to keep the swelling and pain down big time. Doc said it would also help with all the bruising. The entire ankle and top of foot and toes were black.  :o I sat in an easy chair with the foot elevated for a month.

I have come to the conclusion that I am just old and the healing is slower in old folks. My ankle will probably always be weaker now, and I should just learn to deal with it and quit being a baby.

Thanks for the insight, Doc!
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

Chuck White

Whow Patty;
After reading the condition of your ankle, I really do feel fortunate!

Hope you get back up to speed soon.

I'm scheduled to go back to work on Monday.

Patty

Good for you Chuck!  8) 

I hope you continue to heal quickly!
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

Magicman

Bad thing is that after a few more Birthdays, your feet and ankles will hurt like that and you don't even have to twist them.  ::)

Thankfully, they don't hurt like that all of the time.....sometimes it's worse.  :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

Hey MM;  My knees already hurt once in a while, for no real reason.  :o

I guess it's just natures way of telling us we're getting older.  ;)

All the more reason for me not to sell my operators seat.  ;D

Magicman

Growing up is optional.   Growing old is mandatory.    ;)

Never take a laxative and a sleeping pill at the same time.    :o

indiaxman1

Good comment mman.....Plato couldn't have said it better

Patty

OK, so now I have been trying to exercise and strengthen my ankle. This is not going so well, I guess. In fact it hurts like heck.  >:(  Last night it just gave out completely and down I went like a sack of potatoes.

DocB, do you have any insight on what I should do now? Currently I am just sitting with it elevated trying to get the pain down to a tolerable level. The sprain happened October 6th, 2010. I sure do appreciate your advice. BTW, I am taking anti-inflammatory pills for it right now, that is all.
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

Gary_C

Patty are there any physical therapy operations in any doctors clinics or hospitals nearby? They can tailor some rehab and strengthening exercises for your ankle. You may need to talk to your doctor for a referal but you will need to strengthen all the muscles and tendons in that leg.

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

doctorb

Patty
Gary has it right.  Get the acute "reinjury" out of the ankle and get some PT, whether supervised or after a visit or two for an evaluation and home exercises. 

You are right to be concerned that this has gone on this long.  You need to see an ortho doc, not just for x-rays, but for an examination.  You may be one of those patients that has pretty "loose" joints anyway, so that you can't tolerate them with any more instability, or you may have not fully healed from the first injury.

I would say that, if your exam shows instability, complete imobilization in a walking boot or a cast for at least 6 weeks may be indicated.  I would not rush to surgical reconstruction, if you ankle shows instability, until after a concerted effort to support the ankle with immobilization.   Doctorb.

Thank You Sponsors!