iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1980 Franklin transmission problem

Started by boltbender, November 28, 2010, 09:52:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

boltbender

I have been in the timber business on a very small scale (two-four hundred thousand feet per year). I always ran John Deere skidders and dozers until about eight years ago when I went to a Cat D-4 H and a 1980 Franklin 185 cable skidder.  I had to rebuild the transmission [Franklin P-4 350] shortly after I bought it.  I don't believe in half way jobs so I replaced every bearing, seal, and any shafts and gears that showed wear.  I set it up to all specs per the book and it lasted about 1 year.  A bearing broke and caused considerable damage so I totally rebuilt it again plus I rebuilt the torque converter.   I even replaced all of the clutch discs in every gear drum.  This rebuild lasted about 6 months and another bearing let loose and it really went to pieces.  I contacted the Franklin dealer and I was told that this transmission was famous for spitting out bearings, after selling me several thousand dollars worth of parts for two rebuilds !  I rebuilt the engine [653 Detroit], both differentials,all four steering and blade cylinders, radiator,winch, all four corners got new axle seals and bearings and two new 24.5-32 log stomper tires, built a new blade, and replaced two hydraulic pumps---all of which have only 110 hours on them.  The question that I have is-- is there another transmission that I can use without costing me a fortune ?  I am sick and discusted with this mess and having just found this forum I hope that some of you can give me some help.  This is my first post and I appologize for it being so long but thank you all in advance for any help !

Thank You Sponsors!